Brewing question

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
Has anyone added concentrate to their beer kits? Transferring to secondary fermentor or on bottling day.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Concentrated what? Juice?

I'd been really worried about contaminating my beer. I suppose you could boil it and do it that way?

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
Add at flameout is how I have always done it. Risking making an unintended sour if you add later.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Adding it on bottling day could result in a lot more additional fermentation/carbonation/bottle bombs. I'll second what was said in the post before mine and vote that you add it at flame out to sterilize it some.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Reiterating the temperature & bacteria concern. Like already mentioned, flameout is a convenient time if you're OK with whatever the concentrate is being present for the complete fermentation. When I've dealt with adding adjuncts after fermentation has begun I prefer to go the method of waiting a few weeks for initial fermentation to pretty much run its course, then pasteruize the addition, cooling that slightly, and then re-rack the beer on top of the adjunct in a sanitized carboy. It seems to help with clarity and mouthfeel compared to adding earlier and/or not transferring.

• Informative
Reactions: TexCyted

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
I have always added it when fermentation is complete before transferring to brite tank. Never had a problem.