Brian Kelly hired as ND coach

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm thinking there's a good possibility he did at Cincy. In fact his career trajectory has taken a path similar to Urban Meyer before he took Florida's job. Is he a sure thing like Meyer is NOW? No. Meyer has been to the top and done that. And continued the success. But for ND this is a home run....I don't see who else they could have gotten that would be better than him. Also, he seems to have really wanted this job badly.

Meyer had also been an assistant at a top notch school before being a head coach. Kelley has never dealt with real talent except the talent D'antoni left him.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Meyer had also been an assistant at a top notch school before being a head coach. Kelley has never dealt with real talent except the talent D'antoni left him.
If you're inclined to think that he has not proven himself as a topnotch recruiter over a period of time that may be.....but if it turns out Dantoni did a helluva job recruiting, than he must REALLY know how to recruit qb's, but that 5th string qb Kelly won the big east with last year was pretty impressively coached in my estimation.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Probably the best hire they could have made IMO.

In hindsight, I'm glad we didn't get him as he would have only been here a few years. He's a no BS guy who has won everywhere. Seems to have fun playing with the media, even as far back when he was rumored to be coming here. He just fits that program.

I hate ND as well, but only a fool can't see that ND will become relevant again - and soon.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
All I know about ND is that they have the best d*** tv contract on the face of the planet for football. JESUS. I can't look at the TV on a Saturday without a seeing a ****ing ND game on....

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Are you kidding me? How is taking over a place that automatically gets 5 star recruits more challenging than building a dynasty from the ground up? Notre Dame is NOT a bigger challenge than Cincy. Florida is NOT a bigger challenge than Utah. You say that Cincy could never be a dynasty because OSU is right down the road. Do you know how many great football players come out of that area? TONS. OSU can't get all of them. Cincy absolutely could become a dynasty if they could keep a coach.

I will NEVER buy the argument that coaching at a traditional powerhouse dynasty that has 5 star recruits lined up out the door is more challenging than building your own program.

Maybe you should read my entire post and the entire paragraph...the last line reads "driven people want to show their abilities at the highest levels"...ND is the highest level...Cincy is not.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Maybe you should read my entire post and the entire paragraph...the last line reads "driven people want to show their abilities at the highest levels"...ND is the highest level...Cincy is not.
I agree with you. And just because a place like Florida would be an easier place to recruit to, doesn't mean its an easier job than Utah. Just look at the list of coaches you are coaching and recruiting against on an annual basis and tell me its an easy place to be:

Steve Spurrier
Houston Nutt
Nick Saban
Monte Kiffin (ok, Lane is head coach)
Mark Richt
Les Miles
Bobby Petrino

If it was so easy, Zook would still be around.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

My whole point is that a place like Cincy could be that highest level if guys like Kelly would stay in those places. If Rich Rod hadn't been 1 foot out the door to Michigan, WVU probably would have beaten Pitt in 2007, and won the national title. Kelly was 1 second from playing for the National Title this year. The only way for a school to ever become the highest level is to keep a coach there. If everyone on the face of the planet buys into this idea of running to the top programs rather than making a place become a top program, we might as well get rid of most of the schools in CFB and leave Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida, Alabama, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, and USC to play every year.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Big Time hire IMO. Plus, the guy is has already left Cincy.....at 12-0 and is missing the bowl game against UF. Yeah, "heartbreak hotel" for them in Cincy....but he now has the most famous College Football Job now......it's big because he is NOT finishing out with Cincy. Bigger and better things now, and that is being at ND for him. (I don't blame him either.)

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Opinions don't mean much if they aren't backed up with facts. The fact is Kelly has been a big winner at the collegiate level for about 20 years now, the last few in a very good bcs conference. ND has every reason to believe he'll have great success there. It's not guaranteed but Kelly was about as safe a bet as they could make for their future success.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Did you know? When Brian Kelly was Grand Valley State DC for two years the team was 21-3?

I did not. Thank you for sharing that. Watching his presser, his swag, his confidence, he really reminds me of Charlie. But knowing that he also has a bit of defense in him, comforts me a lot. I like his confidence and the swagger he brings, just wait though...once they start winning and people catch on to that, confidence turns into cockiness in their eyes.