Brock vs Minnesota

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Cousins' comp right now is Carson Palmer. He puts up a good amount of stats and wins some games but ultimately gets overshadowed by truly elite QBs or teams that are just better than his. He's going to land easily inside the 20 of yards and TDs, but with minimal postseason success, he's fringe HOF at best. If he manages to hang around a few more years, he gets close to the Phillip Rivers/Matt Ryan tier, but again without some hardware or some playoff success, nothing about his career really stands out other than stats.

The list of USC QBs that are deemed the next big thing that never really do much beyond consistent starter is pretty good sized.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The list of USC QBs that are deemed the next big thing that never really do much beyond consistent starter is pretty good sized.
I tend to think it just shows how hard it is to be a great QB in the NFL, its the hardest job in sports to do at a very high level and very few can do it. We have seen over and over again, QB's that were great in college and struggle at the NFL level. The GOAT was an average QB in college and look how he turned out after he got to NE.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Regarding the atmosphere inside US Bank:

I love it. I love that they have embraced the "Viking" culture. The drums, the longboat outside the stadium, the Skol clap, the big horn on 3rd downs for the opponent etc. Very cool and keeps fans energized and engaged.

What I truly do think would push US Bank over the top is if it was an outdoor stadium, or at the very least retractable roof. I do realize how cold it gets that far north every winter (grew up just 2 hours south) but the Vikings did all of the plundering and pillaging in the snow. Everything about Norse culture is cold and snow. They really should have leaned into that I think. Can you imagine the big drum, skol clap, and horn blowing in <30 degree temps with flurries in the air? Epic home field advantage.

Reactions: Clonefan32

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Regarding the atmosphere inside US Bank:

I love it. I love that they have embraced the "Viking" culture. The drums, the longboat outside the stadium, the Skol clap, the big horn on 3rd downs for the opponent etc. Very cool and keeps fans energized and engaged.

What I truly do think would push US Bank over the top is if it was an outdoor stadium, or at the very least retractable roof. I do realize how cold it gets that far north every winter (grew up just 2 hours south) but the Vikings did all of the plundering and pillaging in the snow. Everything about Norse culture is cold and snow. They really should have leaned into that I think. Can you imagine the big drum, skol clap, and horn blowing in <30 degree temps with flurries in the air? Epic home field advantage.

In general I agree but Minneapolis can make GB look like a joke when it comes to both the temps and wind chill. At some point you feel like it might be hard to convince players to play 3-5 games in that annually.

But yeah, football outdoors is the way it's suppose to be, just like baseball.

Reactions: joefrog

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
In general I agree but Minneapolis can make GB look like a joke when it comes to both the temps and wind chill. At some point you feel like it might be hard to convince players to play 3-5 games in that annually.

Yeah, it is definitely the smart move to play indoors. I think I am just speaking from an idealist standpoint. Seems like playing in cold temps would be advantageous when playing teams from say Tampa, Dallas, or Phoenix for example, but reality is the Vikings are also drafting guys that aren't used to playing in these conditions either (SEC country). It was probably the best move, I just think from a culturally accurate and historical point of view it would be cool to see the Vikings playing snow games in Mpls.

Reactions: ZRF

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
As someone who rips cousins constantly for choking, that was probably the best game I’ve ever seen him play. Cousins made some huge plays, especially on third down. The guy was just on point all game.
That was probably Cousins at his absolute best. Must win game, primetime, nationwide, against the best defense in the league. Amazing performance by him.

He's clearly that great but not elite level. Pair him with Bellicheck and his defenses and you probably get a ring sometime.

As for Purdy, quite a performance considering all factors. HOF tackle out, as well as your dynamic playmaker. Still had a chance to win, on the road, in a hostile environment against a desperate opponent.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Yeah, it is definitely the smart move to play indoors. I think I am just speaking from an idealist standpoint. Seems like playing in cold temps would be advantageous when playing teams from say Tampa, Dallas, or Phoenix for example, but reality is the Vikings are also drafting guys that aren't used to playing in these conditions either (SEC country). It was probably the best move, I just think from a culturally accurate and historical point of view it would be cool to see the Vikings playing snow games in Mpls.

Agree 1000%.

As someone who also grew up in northern Iowa, and routinely traveled to the dome to watch my Bears play, I understand the conditions and environment completely. I'm sure you also knew or talked to older folks who used to go up to the Met (old stadium in Bloomington) and freeze there asses off. That was part of the experience as a fan.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
This is also why the Vikings have 4 Super Bowl appearances and no wins. Would have home field usually, so could get to them because of the cold and home field advantage, but would fall short on a neutral field.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
That was probably Cousins at his absolute best. Must win game, primetime, nationwide, against the best defense in the league. Amazing performance by him.

He's clearly that great but not elite level. Pair him with Bellicheck and his defenses and you probably get a ring sometime.

As for Purdy, quite a performance considering all factors. HOF tackle out, as well as your dynamic playmaker. Still had a chance to win, on the road, in a hostile environment against a desperate opponent.

I don't think Cousins has the head on his shoulders to be great.

I think he's smart enough. I think he can process the information. He can even make the throws. But I think the amount of pressure he puts on himself, and the ensuing stress it creates, often leads to his numerous (and often huge) mistakes. You could really see it in all forms in "Quarterback". I'm not sure there is a QB in the league that cares as much as Cousins. That's both his blessing (what drives him) and his curse. Sometimes he needs to be able to let **** go and move on. He naturally has a hard time doing that.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Back in the day it was awesome.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com

Some of us remember the 2016 playoff game at the Gophers’ stadium while US Bank Stadium was under construction (no, I wasn’t there, but I watched on TV). Temperature was -6 at kickoff with a windchill of -25. Blair Walsh missing a chip shot field goal that would have won the game didn’t make it seem any warmer (although it’s definitely par for the course Vikings-kicker-wise … ever since Gary Anderson’s perfect season ended with his missed kick vs. the Falcons in the playoffs, Vikings’ kickers have been cursed).

That said, I miss watching Vikings games on TV at the Met with Bud Grant on the sideline and clouds of everybody’s breath and bundled-up fans and opposing players trying to survive while Grant wouldn‘t let his players wear gloves or use heaters … the Vikings’ success in cold-weather games has never been the same since they moved into the Metrodome.

A game I was at was December 2016 when the Colts thumped the Vikings to knock them out of the playoffs (and I got to see Adrian Peterson’s last carry as a Viking, which was, appropriately, a fumble). Thank goodness that game was inside … it was -17 that morning and the high temperature was only -11. (One thing that wasn’t so fun was trying to find a place to hold my winter parka crammed into the seats of US Bank Stadium along with 65,000 other people also carrying winter gear …)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: ZRF