Brush your teeth...or die

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Some other tips besides brushing and flossing:
* Chew sugar-free gum. The xylitol makes your plaque less "sticky"
* Don't grind your teeth/sleep with a mouth guard
* Oil pull instead of mouthwash
* If you wake with dry mouth, sleep with your mouth taped shut with medical grade tape

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
My dentist out here in western WA could tell on my first visit that I didn't grow up here. He said he can tell immediately when someone grew up with fluoridated water (like in Ames) versus non-fluoridated water (my current county).

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
* If you wake with dry mouth, sleep with your mouth taped shut with medical grade tape

This sounds like a TikTok challenge that allows Darwin to thin the herd.

• Funny
Reactions: Die4Cy

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
My dentist out here in western WA could tell on my first visit that I didn't grow up here. He said he can tell immediately when someone grew up with fluoridated water (like in Ames) versus non-fluoridated water (my current county).
I heard similar from my dentist. She told me that's extremely obvious the people who only drink bottled water since that became a fad. The fluoride in municipal water is doing exactly what it was supposed to do.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Had first one I had done was a horrible experience. Went home after the temp crown was put on. That night was the worst pain ever. Jaw hurt and pounding pain. Went back the next day, denist took the temp crown off and proceed to get those little tiny round files out. Didn't even ask if I wanted any novacaine. SOB then stuck one of those files in one of the canal and I literally screamed it hurt so damn bad. He was chuckling about it as I am laying back in the chair waiting for the pain to subside.

He told me that he didn't get all the nerve out of one of the canals. I told him too bad he wasn't the one in the chair going through the pain I did. I was pissed off!!

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
It's hard to simply "don't grind your teeth" but the mouth guard when sleeping is a game changer if you do.
Imagine grabbing a small tree trunk and just pushing and pulling it back and forth. After a while, what is the ground around the trunk going to look like? The same happens to your jaw and gums when you grind your teeth. I have about half (fingers crossed) of my life left. But I'm sporting gums that were transplanted from a cadaver because I would grind my teeth all night. And that's a surgery and recovery that's no fun.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Williams eventually died on Sept. 12 at the age of 36, and the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner Department said he succumbed to "Bacterial Sepsis with Cerebral Abscesses and Necrotizing Lobar Pneumonia due to multiple Dental Caries and retained tooth roots."

Essentially, his brain had pus growing around it after he had severe dental problems to the point where infections spread. Initial tests showed he had brain swelling and infections.
Dental infections are VERY serious.

A lot of people dont realize but an abscessed tooth can kill you in a relatively short time. The infection can go to the brain pretty quickly.

People get themselves in serious trouble when they are somewhere without dental care and an infections sets it. (out to sea, remote camping, etc)

Dont ignore tooth issues peeps.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Most people wake up with a somewhat dry mouth.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
This sounds like a TikTok challenge that allows Darwin to thin the herd.
It's become one yes, stupidity to encourage nose breathing and deeper sleep. But dry mouth is really bad for your teeth. You don't need to cover the entire mouth either. Just an inch in the middle and enough so you don't sleep with your mouth agape. I use a CPAP, and have had horrible problems with dry mouth: cavities and thrush (think yeast infection of the mouth). Mouth tapping has been a game changer.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
So apparently the dentist thing is the "official cause of death" according to the medical examiner, but the reason he was in the hospital in the first place was a jobsite injury. Apparently we worked construction since retiring from football. A pile of bricks fell on his head, sending him to the hospital where he died 5 days later. Locals on Twitter are saying they said cause of death was sepsis from dental infection to avoid a wrongful death lawsuit.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
So apparently the dentist thing is the "official cause of death" according to the medical examiner, but the reason he was in the hospital in the first place was a jobsite injury. Apparently we worked construction since retiring from football. A pile of bricks fell on his head, sending him to the hospital where he died 5 days later. Locals on Twitter are saying they said cause of death was sepsis from dental infection to avoid a wrongful death lawsuit.

Not surprised if true

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
that’s why I go to the dentist every two months. It cost me an extra $280 per year, but it’s worth it.
You either have the greatest dental insurance plan ever or you’re BSing us. I’m going with BS.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
You either have the greatest dental insurance plan ever or you’re BSing us. I’m going with BS.
Plan covers only two visits per year, I cover the rest out of pocket. The only reason Dentists recommend twice a year is because that’s what insurance covers. That is BS. Six months is a long time.

Mar 21, 2021
For your consideration, here is a very smart doc, expert in dietary nitrate and nitric oxide, says
1) Avoid fluoride in water and in toothpaste
2) Never ever use mouthwash
3) Never use antacids, proton pump inhibitors, etc.
4) fertilized veg better than organic

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
For your consideration, here is a very smart doc, expert in dietary nitrate and nitric oxide, says
1) Avoid fluoride in water and in toothpaste
2) Never ever use mouthwash
3) Never use antacids, proton pump inhibitors, etc.
4) fertilized veg better than organic

So nitric oxide is the one weird trick that Big Pharma doesn't want us to know about?