Buffalo Wild Wings Coming to Ames?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I hate Welch Ave Station, their bartenders are douchebags and their waitresses are immature bytches. Welch Ave Station is to sports bars as DJK15 is to non-douchebags. Not possible.

Good to see B-dubs. If Applebees can make a killing in this town, B-dubs will.

I'll disagree about Welch Ave. I like the place. It would be cool if they could some day take over their whole building and move Pizza Pit somewhere else.

But that's a good point about Applebees. If you have to wait to be seated at Applebees (which you do often in Ames), that means that there are not enough choices in town. Applebees should be a last-resort type of visit.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
For sure. Look at Old Chicago. I was like "another pizza place Ames, let alone a chain?", but it's always busy there.

To small town people, having these chains is a novelty as they do not have them in their home town. To others, it's a safe place to eat because you know what you're going to get.

That said, if there are local places that are superior, I'm all for supporting the local business.

That's a good point. A good portion of ISU's students are from small town Iowa. They don't have Old Chicago, BW3, Okoboji Grill or Applebees in their towns. Most likely, they have McD's, BK and Subway. So even though those chain restaurants seem pretty pedestrian to many of us, they are a treat to someone from a small town.

Personally, I love BWW's. I like their double jerk chicken sandwich, I like their onion rings and I love their boneless wings. Guess I'm not a wing purist, but the bones just get in the way. The thing that I really like about BWW is their setup. Lots of TVs with lots of games. It's a fun place to go when there's a bunch of games on, like a CFB Saturday when ISU is on the road. To say that Ames doesn't need one of these is wrong. They really don't have anything that compares. Although I'd worry about WCW going out of business.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Oh man...not a BWW in ames...there goes any chance I have of eating food that's halfway healthy on nights that I'm short on time to cook. (which is most nights). Although, the only thing better than this would be if they put it near campustown like the one in IC so that students can get to it quickly.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
That's a good point. A good portion of ISU's students are from small town Iowa. They don't have Old Chicago, BW3, Okoboji Grill or Applebees in their towns. Most likely, they have McD's, BK and Subway. So even though those chain restaurants seem pretty pedestrian to many of us, they are a treat to someone from a small town.

Here is the official list for determining the size of your town. Scroll down the list until you hit an establishment you do not have. Then compare to your result to the result of the other town to determine size. Enjoy!

Casey's
Subway
Dairy Queen
McDonalds/Burger King/Hardees
Family Table
Pizza Hut
Godfather's
Taco Johns
KFC

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
Here is the official list for determining the size of your town. Scroll down the list until you hit an establishment you do not have. Then compare to your result to the result of the other town to determine size. Enjoy!

Casey's
Subway
Dairy Queen
Family Table
Pizza Hut
Godfather's
Taco Johns
KFC

What is Family Table?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Casey's
Subway
Dairy Queen
Family Table
Pizza Hut
Godfather's
Taco Johns
KFC

The only one Algona, IA doesn't have is Taco Johns, and that's because they chose Long Johns instead. :eek:

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

Personally, I love BWW's. I like their double jerk chicken sandwich, I like their onion rings and I love their boneless wings. Guess I'm not a wing purist, but the bones just get in the way. The thing that I really like about BWW is their setup. Lots of TVs with lots of games. It's a fun place to go when there's a bunch of games on, like a CFB Saturday when ISU is on the road. To say that Ames doesn't need one of these is wrong. They really don't have anything that compares. Although I'd worry about WCW going out of business.

Yep, I agree with this. I haven't watched a game at WCW so I can't comment on them, but Welch Ave Station and Wallaby's (the only other sports type bars in Ames) are terrible for watching games. We used to watch away games at Wallaby's as undergrads and they seemed to like having us there, they even gave us t-shirts one time when the local TV new station interviewed us while we were there. Not sure what changed, but I remembered them becoming less interested in having people come watch games all day in their high-top seating area. It wasn't like we weren't spending money hand over fist on booze.

I had high hopes for West Town Pub when it appeared they were trying to be a Cubs sports bar (the interior is covered with Cubs paraphanalia), but when they didn't even have the volume turned up for the 2007 NLDS I gave up on them.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Yep, I agree with this. I haven't watched a game at WCW so I can't comment on them, but Welch Ave Station and Wallaby's (the only other sports type bars in Ames) are terrible for watching games. We used to watch away games at Wallaby's as undergrads and they seemed to like having us there, they even gave us t-shirts one time when the local TV new station interviewed us while we were there. Not sure what changed, but I remembered them becoming less interested in having people come watch games all day in their high-top seating area. It wasn't like we weren't spending money hand over fist on booze.

I had high hopes for West Town Pub when it appeared they were trying to be a Cubs sports bar (the interior is covered with Cubs paraphanalia), but when they didn't even have the volume turned up for the 2007 NLDS I gave up on them.

Legends you can kinda watch games depending on the scale you want since each booth has a screen. WCW's big projection screen sucks if the sun is out and is hard to see. Then there are 4 other TVs in the corners (I ate there for supper tonight :biggrin:) that aren't very big so it's not exactly optimal for watching games.

Cyznutz

Jan 6, 2009
Illinois
Don't forget tonight is $.39 wing night and $2 bottles beer at WESTCYDE WINGS

Every Wednesday night after eating at westcyde wings I felt like this! And Hooters too!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B933szBMJ5E"]YouTube - Somethings wrong with dave chappelle!!![/ame]

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron