Buffalo Wild Wings Coming to Ames?

balken

Apr 14, 2006
BWW better not have bought out the Mongolian BBQ/Yogi studio that was supposed to go up on South Duff.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Really? You think Legends is fine where it is? As I understand it, they have cut back on the nights that they are open during the week because they can't bring in enough business. Go to Legends for lunch during the week. See how many people are there. Now go to a place like Okoboji or Dublin Bay at lunchtime. The point is that students will leave campustown to go to sports bars and restaurants. Anyone who has been to Old Chicago on a Friday night will tell you that. However, the Legends situation shows us that non-students and families aren't as likely to go to campustown for a meal they can get elsewhere. There's a reason that you don't see any sportsbars in campustown. BWW would be stupid to alienate such a large segment of the Ames population, by putting a restuarant in a place where many people don't want to go.

I agree with a lot of that but I think a BWW would work in campustown. Look at how many 1000's of men live within a 10 block radius. That's good demographics for your business.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I agree with a lot of that but I think a BWW would work in campustown. Look at how many 1000's of men live within a 10 block radius. That's good demographics for your business.

not if those 1000's of men are broke-*** college students. And besides, my point is that many of those students will travel to Duff Avenue for their wings, but the rest of Ames isn't as likely to go to campustown. A successful chain like BWW is going to do their research and make sure that their location is going to give them the best chance at success. And campustown does not do that.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
i think itll end up doing well out on duff. If ames would revamp campustown (like those plans that ended up on here a couple months ago) it could be VERY good. Maybe get them as a major tenant of the new development.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
not if those 1000's of men are broke-*** college students. And besides, my point is that many of those students will travel to Duff Avenue for their wings, but the rest of Ames isn't as likely to go to campustown. A successful chain like BWW is going to do their research and make sure that their location is going to give them the best chance at success. And campustown does not do that.

I don't disagree with that statement at all but I think that people would travel to Duff because there isn't a lot of options in campustown. I said I think it would work well in campustown. I would imagine that a lot of their sales are from liquor and having it in campustown would probably make more money in liquor than a Duff location might. BWW didn't put a location in campustown in Iowa City for nothing. I think now they even have another one in a mini faux Jordan Creek area across from the mall in Coralville.
I might be in the minority for Ames residents but I think getting down to Duff is a pain. It seems that traffic on Lincoln Way and Duff just goes too slow.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
I might be in the minority for Ames residents but I think getting down to Duff is a pain. It seems that traffic on Lincoln Way and Duff just goes too slow.

It's the people making left turns. In front of Taco Johns is usually the worst.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I can't believe how small Ames is when the students are gone.

I can't believe that even with thousands of college students out of town, Duff/Lincoln Way are ALWAYS busy during the day. I was prepared to see Ames as a ghost town this summer, and it's really been nothing like that. Only place where it seems quieter is on campus, obviously.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I can't believe that even with thousands of college students out of town, Duff/Lincoln Way are ALWAYS busy during the day. I was prepared to see Ames as a ghost town this summer, and it's really been nothing like that. Only place where it seems quieter is on campus, obviously.

so true. that street is a mess. Almost could use 3 lanes in each direction from lincoln way to 30.

cyclonedcm

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
once was enough... it will be out of business quick... unless someone needs a tax write-off... the food was terrible and overpriced... other than that it was a great place...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
once was enough... it will be out of business quick... unless someone needs a tax write-off... the food was terrible and overpriced... other than that it was a great place...

i doubt it. for all some of you like to talk down B-dubs, its been pretty rare when ive walked into a b-dubs that wasnt at least fairly busy, if not packed.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
i doubt it. for all some of you like to talk down B-dubs, its been pretty rare when ive walked into a b-dubs that wasnt at least fairly busy, if not packed.
I've been to plenty of them.

I don't really dislike BWW so much as I'd prefer to eat better food cheaper elsewhere (not to mention support local businesses).

Applebee's is packed a lot too. Doesn't mean it's got great food or awesome atmosphere. It's just a restaurant of last resort that's inoffensive enough to attract the masses.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006

I don't know if I agree with the out-of-business thing, but I totally agree with overpriced and not-so-great food.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

I'm with you. Both BWW's in CR are great and thriving. One of the best places to watch sports in town.

cyers

May 31, 2008
Wings from anywhere are likely to give most people "fire dumps". It's part of the fun in eating hot wings. It's like a little game the next day.

I dont think fire coming out of your rear is much of a game...:sad:

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
Like I said, if Applebees is always packed then B-dubs will always be packed in Ames. The name itself will bring in a number of people.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Like I said, if Applebees is always packed then B-dubs will always be packed in Ames. The name itself will bring in a number of people.

For sure. Look at Old Chicago. I was like "another pizza place Ames, let alone a chain?", but it's always busy there.

To small town people, having these chains is a novelty as they do not have them in their home town. To others, it's a safe place to eat because you know what you're going to get.

That said, if there are local places that are superior, I'm all for supporting the local business.

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
For sure. Look at Old Chicago. I was like "another pizza place Ames, let alone a chain?", but it's always busy there.

To small town people, having these chains is a novelty as they do not have them in their home town. To others, it's a safe place to eat because you know what you're going to get.

That said, if there are local places that are superior, I'm all for supporting the local business.

Exactly. Old Chicago has decent food at best. Grant it, a nice beer selection but it's over priced. It's always packed there.