Buffalo Wild Wings Coming to Ames?

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
When we compare WCW and BWW, we need to make sure which type of wings we're talking about.

BWW boneless is better than most places boneless, including WCW, whos boneless pretty much suck. BWW Traditional wings are pretty standard, and id even go hooters before BWW in that case. WCW excels at traditional wings.

good call. I'm a BWW boneless fan - that's probably where the differences of opinion are.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Is 56,000 including the students? I've always wondered that.

They arent just added in automatically because I'm sure many students, especially younger ones, are still dependents of their parents and are still residences in their hometowns. But I don't know for sure.

I'd say when school is in, Ames is closer to 75-80K, and when it's out, its around 56K.

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
They arent just added in automatically because I'm sure many students, especially younger ones, are still dependents of their parents and are still residences in their hometowns. But I don't know for sure.

I'd say when school is in, Ames is closer to 75-80K, and when it's out, its around 56K.

Pretty decent size then. I wonder how big Ames gets when Iowa comes to town?:jimlad:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
No time to read this thread but BWW is lame in my opinion:

-It is overpriced for what you get.
-Their portions are very small.
-The quality of the food is poor.
-The service in the ones I have been to has been poor.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
BWW definitely isn't a fad. Been around for quite a while and will continue to flourish. They definitely know how to make good food and have a great atmosphere.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA

I think that's wrong. Ames gets to about 100k when the Hawks football team is in town. 56k includes the students.

Over the summer, it can't be more than 35k. Having lived in a suburb of 33k for a few years, I can attest to what a place with about 30k is like as far as business of places, traffic, etc.

I remember someone telling me back when I was a freshmen that there was a reason in a previous census as to why the students claimed Ames as their residence. It had to do with saying if they reached the 50,000 threshold, they'd get more stores, like the Best Buy, Borders, Panera, etc., although I also thought they were told Old Navy would come too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I remember someone telling me back when I was a freshmen that there was a reason in a previous census as to why the students claimed Ames as their residence. It had to do with saying if they reached the 50,000 threshold, they'd get more stores, like the Best Buy, Borders, Panera, etc., although I also thought they were told Old Navy would come too.

I think it was for tax reasons with the gov't. The city had people come to our dorms during our freshman year telling us to register for Story county.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Thatd be why i think the population not including students would be closer to that 56k. How many students do you think really bothered to register for story county, especially when so many dont like the city as it is with how much city vs students there seems to be going on there sometimes.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Thatd be why i think the population not including students would be closer to that 56k. How many students do you think really bothered to register for story county, especially when so many dont like the city as it is with how much city vs students there seems to be going on there sometimes.

There's no chance there's 56k in Ames right now...

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA

The government may have wanted it for tax reasons, but I guarentee they used the whole bringing more stores and restaurants in Ames... There's no way they say "register in Story County so we can tax you more"

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Wow Manhattan is bigger than a Ames? I wonder how much bigger KSU is than ISU.

Edit: just checked, in Spring '09 we had 5,000 more than KSU.

Wow, I can't believe that many more people live there

Bigger, but ****tier. Just like Waco.

language filter didn't work at first. Caught it quickly. Mods, I wasn't trying to pull a fast one.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The government may have wanted it for tax reasons, but I guarentee they used the whole bringing more stores and restaurants in Ames... There's no way they say "register in Story County so we can tax you more"

No, the reason they wanted it 10 years ago was because if you have a population over 50k, you are considered a metropolitan statistical area. That alone attracts businesses and industry.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Ames isn't that bad if you look at its population compared to other schools (using the Big 12 as an example):

Austin, TX - 757,688
Lincoln, NB - 225,581
Lubbock, TX - 199,564
Waco, TX - 122,222
Norman, OK - 102,827
Columbia, MO - 100,733
Boulder, CO - 91,685
Lawrence, KS - 90,520
College Station - 86,000
Manhattan, KS - 51,707
Ames, IA - 50,731
Stillwater, OK - 47,653

Never realized that Lincoln was the 2nd biggest city of the Big XII cities. Seeing it in a list, that shouldn't be surprising, but it really was.

Nice work on that.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Too bad campustown no longer gets to enjoy the wings at Peoples. No wing experience compares to those of Monday night football at Peoples.:cry:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Too bad campustown no longer gets to enjoy the wings at Peoples. No wing experience compares to those of Monday night football at Peoples.:cry:

10 cents wings on Monday Night was awesome! They were pretty good too.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
No, the reason they wanted it 10 years ago was because if you have a population over 50k, you are considered a metropolitan statistical area. That alone attracts businesses and industry.

Exactly. 50k is the threshold for metropolitan status. It isn't for taxing individuals, it's for qualifying for federal money to use for things like housing, infrastructure, etc.

Again, I have no idea how many students are taken into consideration as part of a city's population, but just the fact that there is student turnover every year would make you think they can't be considered a part of the population unless their permanent residence is Ames. Another example, Carbondale, IL, home of SIU. The town itself is only about 25k. SIU probably has 18-20k students. Having been there multiple times, I can guarantee the city is much bigger than 25k, especially when students are around.

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
Yeah, I couldn't see Ames really being in the 35,000 range when students aren't living there. I think 50,000 some thousand sounds about right.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think Legends is fine where it is, because if it was on Duff it would have to compete with okoboji grill ( which to me is pretty much the same thing IMO).

Really? You think Legends is fine where it is? As I understand it, they have cut back on the nights that they are open during the week because they can't bring in enough business. Go to Legends for lunch during the week. See how many people are there. Now go to a place like Okoboji or Dublin Bay at lunchtime. The point is that students will leave campustown to go to sports bars and restaurants. Anyone who has been to Old Chicago on a Friday night will tell you that. However, the Legends situation shows us that non-students and families aren't as likely to go to campustown for a meal they can get elsewhere. There's a reason that you don't see any sportsbars in campustown. BWW would be stupid to alienate such a large segment of the Ames population, by putting a restuarant in a place where many people don't want to go.