Buffalo Wild Wings Coming to Ames?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I agree. If the Smart Growth people and the city council wouldn't have fought that mall so long, they'd have it built now. Instead, the economy went to crap and the developer can't lease spaces. And of course, now those people are crowing that they were right that the mall would never work. Idiots! That mall would have drawn people from everywhere from Huxley to Ogden to Fort Dodge to State Center. And there would be restaurants like Olive Garden, Chilis, Lone Star, IHOP that could have popped up around it. Or how about an Old Navy or a Kohls? I live in Ames and we have to make at least monthly trips to DM for shopping because Ames just doesn't have the stores that we need. I'd much rather shop in Ames if possible instead of driving 45 minutes to Jordan Creek.

One major point I want to get across to CF posters. There are city council elections coming up in November. All three of the incumbants up for re-election are "Smart Growth" people and fought the new mall tooth and nail...including the gyro/flying burrito guy. If you value the future of Ames, go to the polls and VOTE. I don't care if you are a student and planning on being gone in a year. If you plan on coming back for FB games, etc, getting more progressive people on city council will make for a better city when you DO visit.

Mayor Campbell is also up for re-election, and she has supported the mall from the start... be careful not to put her in the "smart growth" group.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I agree with you so here's my answers:

1.They are deathly afraid of urban sprawl and thought that this site would take away valuable agricultural/industrial ground (like Iowa doesn't have plenty of that?). Then why was Barilla allowed to be built?
2.A new mall would kill Main Street/North Grand/Duff. Main St. is always packed, its tough enough to get a parking spot, those 40-80 year old ladies will never stop going there. North Grand is well/has been dead. Duff seems to be always busy and booming.
3.There are marshes north of the property that the environmentalists were concerned about. Again, wasn't Barilla built very close to the same thing?
4.Extra fuel needed to run CyRide out there. I'm not kidding. Doesn't it drive all the wasy south of Lowes?
5.No one would go there because everyone drives to DM. Every little town around Ames would keep it in business including high school kids during the summers and weekends.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
When we compare WCW and BWW, we need to make sure which type of wings we're talking about.

BWW boneless is better than most places boneless, including WCW, whos boneless pretty much suck. BWW Traditional wings are pretty standard, and id even go hooters before BWW in that case. WCW excels at traditional wings.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
If you lowered the Bar entry age to 19 then you would have Freshmen and sophmores in Campustown. You would easily double your Bars IMO.
I would look for Cedar Falls and Iowa City to bring the age back to 21 sooner or later. (maybe more later than sooner though) There is just too many problems with underage drinking.
But that would mean a lot of bars in those towns would die.

There's actually only 3 bars in cedar falls that are 19. All of the bars on main are 21 and only two on the hill are 19...IMO those two are the dirtiest bars in town because of all the little drunk kids running around.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Ames isn't that bad if you look at its population compared to other schools (using the Big 12 as an example):

Austin, TX - 757,688
Lincoln, NB - 225,581
Lubbock, TX - 199,564
Waco, TX - 122,222
Norman, OK - 102,827
Columbia, MO - 100,733
Boulder, CO - 91,685
Lawrence, KS - 90,520
College Station - 86,000
Manhattan, KS - 51,707
Ames, IA - 50,731
Stillwater, OK - 47,653

Ames' estimated poplulation for 2008 is now over 56K. Not that it means a whole lot.

As for why not putting BWW in campustown (or any other franchise/chain type restaurant like that), reason #1: NO PARKING! These chains want brand new buildings in strip mall/big box store areas with ample parking because it's all about name recognition and convenience. The reason campustown sucks, besides the fact that the property owners don't give 2 rips what their buildings look like as long as the rent checks are steady, is no parking. Ames is contemplating putting a parking ramp in downtown, and they need to consider the same thing in campustown, that is the only way the area will begin to turn around. But we all know what it's like to try and get any kind of progress to happen in Ames.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Mayor Campbell is also up for re-election, and she has supported the mall from the start... be careful not to put her in the "smart growth" group.

Pete Orazem, econ professor at ISU, is running for a spot. Very pro-growth. Vote for him.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Pete Orazem, econ professor at ISU, is running for a spot. Very pro-growth. Vote for him.

Yep, I plan on voting for Orazem AND Mayor Campbell. I'll have to see who is running for the other two CC spots and what wards they are representing. All I know is that it can't get much worse than the three guys up for re-election. Luckily, Riad Mahayni and Jami Larson are fighting for the majority of Ames and not some small special interest group.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Meh. There are a lot of other places I'd rather see come in more than BWW.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yep, I plan on voting for Orazem AND Mayor Campbell. I'll have to see who is running for the other two CC spots and what wards they are representing. All I know is that it can't get much worse than the three guys up for re-election. Luckily, Riad Mahayni and Jami Larson are fighting for the majority of Ames and not some small special interest group.

Jeremy Davis will be running against Ryan Doll in Ward 3...(Ames Tribune > Ames Tribune > News)

Orazem will be running against Popken for an At-Large.

The other two spots up will be Mayor Campbell's and Dan Rice's in Ward 1...neither of them have opponents yet.

Another person who I think would be a very good candidate, and a very good voice for ISU, would be Jeff Johnson. He is currently serving on the Ames Planning and Zoning Commission, and in my opinion has done a fabulous job there. Not sure what ward he lives in, but he would be a great At-Large representative.

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

The funny thing is, when those 3 ran initially, they got elected because of the smart growth wackos. And right after they were elected, they all voted to approve of the Bucky Wolford development because they wanted to get beyond that issue. Hopefully the smart growth group has died off enough that we can elect the right, qualified candidates instead of being a popularity contest because none of those three were/are qualified to be councilmen.

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
Tell me about it! Welch Avenue need to pull their heads out of their ***** and get with the 21st century.

I hate Welch Ave Station, their bartenders are douchebags and their waitresses are immature bytches. Welch Ave Station is to sports bars as DJK15 is to non-douchebags. Not possible.

Good to see B-dubs. If Applebees can make a killing in this town, B-dubs will.

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
Simply put, BWW would stagnate in campustown. yes, it would probably draw college kids, but it would ensure that the rest of the Ames population did not go there, and restuarants like BWW need more business than the ISU students could provide. Look at Legends. It is slowly dying because of it's location. If Legends were on South Duff, it would be doing much, much better. My wife loves Legends. It is one of her favorite restaurants. But we have gone to the Ames location exactly 3 times in the time it has been in Ames. It's just not worth the trip.

I think Legends is fine where it is, because if it was on Duff it would have to compete with okoboji grill ( which to me is pretty much the same thing IMO).

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I hate Welch Ave Station, their bartenders are douchebags and their waitresses are immature bytches. Welch Ave Station is to sports bars as DJK15 is to non-douchebags. Not possible.

Good to see B-dubs. If Applebees can make a killing in this town, B-dubs will.

Wow, thats rough.

I actually think that Welch Ave has good bartenders and they know their stuff. Waitresses have never been mean to me because they want their tips too.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
When we compare WCW and BWW, we need to make sure which type of wings we're talking about.

BWW boneless is better than most places boneless, including WCW, whos boneless pretty much suck. BWW Traditional wings are pretty standard, and id even go hooters before BWW in that case. WCW excels at traditional wings.

Boneless wings don't count, since they are usually breast meat, i.e. Not chicken wings. :smile:

Reactions: jumbopackage