Buy or Sell on ISU's Upcoming Basketball Season (Poll)

Read my detailed question below on whether you'd buy or sell the o/u on this bball season finish?

• Buy it, I'm not sure we'll do much better. Take it and run with it.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • Sell it, I think we'll finish better overall on all those projections

Votes: 138 77.1%

• Total voters

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
I would say #24 is just about right for this team so in your poll I would be buying. Can we get another Sweet 16? Yep. Absolutely. Will I be mad about a tourney exit in round of 32? Probably. Still, that's about where I see it. It's a coin flip to me between making it to the Sweet 16 and being bounced the round before.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'm buying. Too much uncertainty in the front court. This would keep the momentum in the program as we build for bigger things in future years.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Selling I'll be happy with 4th or above regular B12, I think we have a team that's going to improve all season and with the way they can shoot we can be really dangerous in the tourney.
Yeah I'm higher on Cyclone BB than John Belushi was on cocaine while visiting Studio 54.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Selling. I think the odds are stronger to move into top 15 than they are to drop into the 30s.
I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed with what was listed, but I think thats on the lower end. I would put the over under at 15-20 nationally, top 4 in the big 12, and a round of 32 appearance with a competitive game. I know that isn't much different, but most of those things depend on so much. The big thing is I think we are a solid top 25 team.

Reactions: cyclones500

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The OP is not unrealistic, but it's low for what the potential is for this group.

The comfort level is established with the veterans and coach, and I think we're going to see even more improvement in someone like Thomas or Burton, which could go a long way.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Nothing wrong with it, but I do sense a lot of overall hopefulness influencing people's decisions some on this one, but then again, what do you expect. We are fans and that is what is fun about being a fan. My guess is if people outside of ISU were polled, it would be more 50-50. Again, I think #24 is a very fair realistic starting point with room for movement either direction.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
The margin between losing in round of 32 and advancing to the sweet 16 can be so, so small (see Ohio State game). A #24 finish would put us around a 6 seed, and losing in the round of 32 could mean losing as a 6 to a 3, or as a 5 to 4, which is well within the realm of possibility, especially if we have any injuries or Naz and Matt are cold from outside.

I don't want to buy, though. I still think the ceiling is higher than that. We'll send Monte, Naz, and Matt out with a flourish.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Nothing wrong with it, but I do sense a lot of overall hopefulness influencing people's decisions some on this one, but then again, what do you expect. We are fans and that is what is fun about being a fan. My guess is if people outside of ISU were polled, it would be more 50-50. Again, I think #24 is a very fair realistic starting point with room for movement either direction.

I don't do expectations in the tournament because anything can happen. At the same time, I don't go with guarantees when we have a shot at doing better. The whole point of the tournament is to take your shot and go as far as skill and luck will take you.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The margin between losing in round of 32 and advancing to the sweet 16 can be so, so small (see Ohio State game). A #24 finish would put us around a 6 seed, and losing in the round of 32 could mean losing as a 6 to a 3, or as a 5 to 4, which is well within the realm of possibility, especially if we have any injuries or Naz and Matt are cold from outside.

I don't want to buy, though. I still think the ceiling is higher than that. We'll send Monte, Naz, and Matt out with a flourish.

Not to be a nit-picker, but technically speaking, if things went straight across from a math perspective, which is what I was trying to do (I know it definitely doesn't always work out exactly that way), it would mean a 5 seed for us :)

Last edited:

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Not to be a nit-picker, but technically speaking, if things went straight across from a math perspective, which is what I was trying to do (I know it definitely doesn't always work out exactly that way), it would mean a 5 seed for us :)

You mean 6 seed.
1-4 = 1
5-8 = 2
9-12 = 3
13-16 = 4
17-20 = 5
21-24 = 6

Reactions: Triggermv

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
For the team to reach its potential this season, Burton has to have a great season and Holden, Bowie and Young have to have solid seasons. I think you can pretty much count on what Morris, Long and Thomas are going to do. and Jackson and Babb shouldn't be solid enough back ups so it is just going to come down to how well the front court guys do. If the reports are any indication, Burton is going to have a great season. And i think the other front court guys will do enough to propel these guys to a really good season.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I'd be happy with that outcome, but no way am I not going to wish/hope for possibly more at this point in the season! Sell purely on "what could possibly happen..."

CaryCyPwr

Nov 10, 2014
Cary, IL
PreSale tix went on sale this morning for NCAA tournament (not Finals - that is lottery) - was able to nab a pair of upper level corner (Full Strip) for Round 1 & 2 in Milwaukee! Hoping Cyclones end up here - otherwise I'm sure some B1G Ten fans will pay.

swessball

Mar 23, 2016
I'd say the #24 ranking is justified. Loads of talent in the backcourt, but the uncertainty (and lack of size) in the front court is concerning. Not going to attempt to predict what happens in the tournament. Could very easily see us getting bounced in the first or second round (depending on how well we match up), or I could see us having a real magical run with the talent in the backcourt. Basically....I don't know, just going to soak in this last year with the seniors.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't do expectations in the tournament because anything can happen. At the same time, I don't go with guarantees when we have a shot at doing better. The whole point of the tournament is to take your shot and go as far as skill and luck will take you.

In summary, getting you to take a stand is like nailing jello to the wall.

• Winner
Reactions: CycloneErik

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I'm so confused by the choices. I don't buy a stock thinking it has peeked, and I don't sell a stock thinking it can go higher. Yet that's how those two choices seem to be worded. Am I reading it wrong?

I would buy ISU stock because I think we'll end the season higher than 24 (where our stock is currently). If I were to sell my ISU stock it would be because I believe it has peeked and going to go lower than 24th for the season.

Until someone can clarify what I appear to be missing I don't want to vote.