Buying a new grill

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
So, I'm not in the market, but was curious -- how much does it cost to get a natural gas line put in? That would be soooo convenient once we have a house.

We did it when building ours - so it was almost nothing.

It looks like there are diff. Genesis models. The more expensive seem to have the stove option. Is there an advantage to having the stove portion when I could just use my kitchen?

Advantage? Sure. Puts your cooking all in one spot. But I can tell you personally I rarely use it. I do like the sear station on that grill a lot though. A newer feature they added that I don't have.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Just dig a hole and put a grate over it. Only get a Weber grill if you hate money.

:jimlad:
I used to think this way. Then I had three consecutive grills last 1-1/2 summers each so I finally broke down and bought a Weber. Worth every penny and I will never buy anything else.

cyclone618

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 2, 2011
Ankeny
I'm on my second Weber. I had the first one (Weber Genesis with LP) for 17 years then my wife bought me a Weber Summit (natural gas) for our anniversary a New Years ago. The natural gas is awesome and saves me a couple hundred bucks a year on LP tanks (I grill year around). I've only left it on all night once and was barely noticeable on the gas bill.
BTW, I also have a Traeger smoker and love it as well. It is best for slow cooking things like brisket, pulled pork, chicken, turkey, salmon, etc.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
For 30+ years I used gas. Then 3 years ago I made the switch to charcoal. I never will go back to gas. The flavor is that much better grilling over lump charcoal........

Not only that, you can sit and relax with your first beer waiting for the coals to heat up. It took my wife forever to realize why I preferred charcoal.

The best investment I made was a charcoal chimney starter. Lights faster and more consistently than lighter fluid and without the smell. On the downside, that first beer has to go down a little quicker.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
If you want a very nice grill. Go with the Big Green Egg. One of the best purchases my Dad has ever made. You can smoke, grill or bake anything in it. They are expensive but well worth the money. Plus who needs gas when you can cook with charcoal.

moebar

Dec 10, 2009
If you want a very nice grill. Go with the Big Green Egg. One of the best purchases my Dad has ever made. You can smoke, grill or bake anything in it. They are expensive but well worth the money. Plus who needs gas when you can cook with charcoal.

Agree with the green egg...I have a gas, pellet, and the egg.
Each one has it's advantages, but if I had to settle with just one, it would be the Egg hands Down.
Only downside is the grilling surface is a little small

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
Not only that, you can sit and relax with your first beer waiting for the coals to heat up. It took my wife forever to realize why I preferred charcoal.

It's a good thing my wife doesn't frequent CF. You DO KNOW that there are things that are best left unstated..........

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Yeah, I'll swear by the Big Green Egg. Only a few parts will ever need to be replaced. But, if I were to invest in something new, it would probably be a Traeger. It's a lot easier to keep steady temps with gas while smoking.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Yeah, I'll swear by the Big Green Egg. Only a few parts will ever need to be replaced. But, if I were to invest in something new, it would probably be a Traeger. It's a lot easier to keep steady temps with gas while smoking.

Traeger is not a gas smoker....unless those were unrelated/adjacent sentences, then carry on.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I look at those smoke and grill combos remind me of many other product combos. They work, but with any combo - it's neither a great grill or a great smoker. But it does either one well/average.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Weber Genesis. Read the reviews on Home Depot.com. All 5-stars (190+) reviews.

Weber Genesis E-330 3-Burner Propane Gas Grill in Copper-6532001 at The Home Depot

Also, Consumer Reports listed the top three gas grills as Weber Genesis, Brinkman, then a Charbroil. If you read through the reveiws of each on Home Depot's site you'll see the Weber is a clear winner.

As a side note, several of the Weber-Stephens family members are ISU alumni!
Really like my Weber Genesis. Tried two other cheaper types before this one.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Go to Lowes. Same price as Menards or other places for a WEBER

Lowes assembled, delivered the new grill, and hauled MY OLD GRILL AWAY for no charge

I assembled my last Weber. ....Having Lowes assemble a grill for free won't affect your Man Cards.....

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

It's a good thing my wife doesn't frequent CF. You DO KNOW that there are things that are best left unstated..........

for me, it's strictly the fact that I learned to cook on chargoal. I don't get gas grilling. I burn everything. I can feel my coals when I dump them out of the chimney and I know exactly how long to cook everything for desired doneness. It's one of those things where I am just set in my ways. I'm too afraid of switching, and then going back to charcoal, because that's all I've ever known.

The waiting for the coals to be ready, and watching them with a beer, that's one of those little perks in life that make it worth living.

Help Support Us

Become a patron