Buying house without Realtor

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Long story short we like a house that is for sale by owner that we began looking at before we started working with a realtor. Has anyone purchased a house without a realtor? I have read up a little online and if we do decide to move on this house, we will probably hire a real estate lawyer. What are other peoples experiences or guidance on the issue?

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
I have done it before and didn't have any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

What town? I have real estate attorneys in both Des Moines and Ames that I would recommend if you are interested.

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
Doesn't cost the buyer anything to use a realtor. May as well have someone that can help you navigate the transaction. Attorney will protect you at the closing table, but the negotiation and the financing process can be more favorable for you if you have an experienced, professional advocate acting on your behalf.

If it's free, why not do it?

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Doesn't cost the buyer anything to use a realtor. May as well have someone that can help you navigate the transaction. Attorney will protect you at the closing table, but the negotiation and the financing process can be more favorable for you if you have an experienced, professional advocate acting on your behalf.

if its fsbo, seller doesnt want to pay the buying agent.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008

We looked at the house on our own before we started using the realtor we currently have. We brought it up to her and she recommended that if we are interested in the house that we take care of it on our own.

I am sure we could still use a realtor but she made it sound like it was bad thing to do it that way.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
I bought our house FSBO and had no problems. The couple that owned it before us own their own buisness and used their lawyer for all the paperwork. Wells Fargo reviewed all the paperwork to make sure it was legit before they would approve the mortgage. Worked out fine for us and made extra money for the sellers. I would make sure at least you or the seller are competent on the process before going through with it.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I bought the house I live in now from the owners and 1 other. Find a realestate lawyer and discuss all the itmes you want included in the sale. You can also use he local multiple listing service to find comparable sales to determime if the price is right. Alway make it subject to a home inspection, appraisal, a clear title of all liens, taxes, judgements and any assoication fees. I have bought 7 houses over the years and I always go through the house with the home inspector pointing out all the things I have discovered and on several occasions I have gotten the seller to pay for repairs or lower the price before the sale went through. Make sure any ernst money is refundable if there are any problems with the home inspection or appraisal.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM

if the buyer is the only one bringing money to the table, and both the seller and realtor are getting paid, how the hell is it free?

the reason your realtor made it sound like you should do it yourself is because if she helped you it would be charity work; i doubt the house owner has any predetermined realtor commission setup and so she wouldn't be getting paid

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
Long story short we like a house that is for sale by owner that we began looking at before we started working with a realtor. Has anyone purchased a house without a realtor? I have read up a little online and if we do decide to move on this house, we will probably hire a real estate lawyer. What are other peoples experiences or guidance on the issue?
Good real estate lawyer will do it for about $500-750.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006

if its fsbo, seller doesnt want to pay the buying agent.
This is a determining question. It's not uncommon for realtor fees to be 5-6% with half of that going to the buyers broker. If that transaction cost can be avoided, both parties could come out ahead. If a home has already been listed with a realtor, often that commission is already written in stone.

If you don't really know anything about the real estate market or the process though, a realtor could be valuable. If you only have the one home you are looking at, you might consider seeing if you can hire one on a transactional basis rather than a commission basis.

I bought my home without a buyers broker, and used that fact as a negotiating tool.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I bought the house I live in now from the owners and 1 other. Find a realestate lawyer and discuss all the itmes you want included in the sale. You can also use he local multiple listing service to find comparable sales to determime if the price is right. Alway make it subject to a home inspection, appraisal, a clear title of all liens, taxes, judgements and any assoication fees. I have bought 7 houses over the years and I always go through the house with the home inspector pointing out all the things I have discovered and on several occasions I have gotten the seller to pay for repairs or lower the price before the sale went through. Make sure any ernst money is refundable if there are any problems with the home inspection or appraisal.

Would there be more places or websites to find the value of the home?

This is a determining question. It's not uncommon for realtor fees to be 5-6% with half of that going to the buyers broker. If that transaction cost can be avoided, both parties could come out ahead. If a home has already been listed with a realtor, often that commission is already written in stone.

If you don't really know anything about the real estate market or the process though, a realtor could be valuable. If you only have the one home you are looking at, you might consider seeing if you can hire one on a transactional basis rather than a commission basis.

I bought my home without a buyers broker, and used that fact as a negotiating tool.

Might have to check into this to see what that may cost.

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
Worked in the RE business as appraiser, realtor, and lender. Been around this block about 1500 times.

FSBO this could make a difference if there isn't commission set in stone on the selling side. Still, in this market, seller would be stupid to balk at a qualified offer to save 3%.

With a realtor, it's not "free" as the seller is baking realtor costs into their list price, but RARELY does a seller agree to sell a house for less because there isn't a realtor on the other side.

Because most houses transfer with use of a realtor, the entire market has realtor fees baked into prices if you want to look at it that way.

Not sure where you live, but realtors in most markets have their seller locked in at X% listing fee. They're not giving up half and putting it in anyone else's pocket if buyer-side has no representation.

If I'm the realtor, I show the seller my contract and tell them they're obligated to pay me X% of the sales price. If they're motivated to sell their house - which they should be in this market - they're going to pull the trigger. The only way I'm giving up half of my commission is to split the difference if it's truly the tipping point between making a deal or not.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
if the buyer is the only one bringing money to the table, and both the seller and realtor are getting paid, how the hell is it free?

the reason your realtor made it sound like you should do it yourself is because if she helped you it would be charity work; i doubt the house owner has any predetermined realtor commission setup and so she wouldn't be getting paid

actually it's about liability, E&O insurance doesn't cover the transaction and they could lose their Real Estate license for working outside their broker..

Last edited:

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
I bought my house without an agent.

I used a lawyer to write up the offer, paid the inspection myself, and he hired a lawyer for his end of things. Just find a decent lawyer and save some money.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa

does this mean that you worked with a realtor but are cutting them out now because you looked at this house before you started?

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Definitely agree with what most are saying...get an attorney for your side of the transaction.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Yep. I've bought two houses and sold one house as FSBO. I've used same title company to help me with the transactions. There are many road blocks, but worth the $$$ you are saving.

Is this an old house or newer? I've done both, old house is def little trickier (but manageable).

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I have bought a house FSBO. Worked great. Both buyer and seller used the same lawyer and we each paid the customary fees associated with each.

I have bought a couple of houses from a RE agent. Worked fine. You would be amazed at the fees that are subtracted from what the seller gets. But keep in mind that the advertising costs, etc. are all paid for by the RE agent. And when people buy homes, a RE agent has more contacts and more visibility.

We sold one home (in-laws house) through a RE agent. Again, the fees add up. And we actually had someone back out of the sale.......twice. The RE agent didn't get additional earnest money from the buyer and only had a simple $500 down payment required. Bad for us. I would recommend getting at least 2% or more........on every transaction.

We are selling another house FSBO at this time. We plan on cutting a deal and basically passing on much of the savings to the buyer. If it goes to a RE agent, our price will go up to recoup costs. And we would have greater visibility so the higher price would be an option.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron