BYU to the Big 12?

bholley80

Sep 29, 2011
Provo, Utah
Question...do you get a choice if you go on a misson or not and who decides where you go? What percentage of BYU athletes are actually mormons? Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, its definately an individual choice. You arent forced in any way to go on a mission. Alot of BYU players have gone on missions, but the majority of our BEST players( Heaps, Apo, Van Noy, Di Luigi, Hoffman etc.) did not go, and just stayed to play.) On that list, only Heaps and Van Noy are Mormons. To be honest, the LDS players that have a legitamate chance of playing at the next level, seem to stay and focus on their athletics. People like Jimmer, or Steve Young for that matter. Of course there are always exceptions, and this is just how I tend to see it. BYU will always recruit the LDS kids, almost to our detriment. We would have a 5'9 eagle scout playing in the backfield and would get lit up constantly. This is how it was for many years. Bronco is starting to realize now that you have to get more athletic at the skill positions if you want to be taken seriously.

Baylor

Aug 9, 2011
You are correct.

Off topic other than the name, but if I recall, he's Steve Young of THE Young's, right? I thought I recalled him being a direct descendant of Brigham, but it's been so long, maybe I'm just making crap up in my head.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Oh yeah, its definately an individual choice. You arent forced in any way to go on a mission. Alot of BYU players have gone on missions, but the majority of our BEST players( Heaps, Apo, Van Noy, Di Luigi, Hoffman etc.) did not go, and just stayed to play.) On that list, only Heaps and Van Noy are Mormons. To be honest, the LDS players that have a legitamate chance of playing at the next level, seem to stay and focus on their athletics. People like Jimmer, or Steve Young for that matter. Of course there are always exceptions, and this is just how I tend to see it. BYU will always recruit the LDS kids, almost to our detriment. We would have a 5'9 eagle scout playing in the backfield and would get lit up constantly. This is how it was for many years. Bronco is starting to realize now that you have to get more athletic at the skill positions if you want to be taken seriously.

I get it. Just be sure that all the linemen and linebackers go on a mission. :smile:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Off topic other than the name, but if I recall, he's Steve Young of THE Young's, right? I thought I recalled him being a direct descendant of Brigham, but it's been so long, maybe I'm just making crap up in my head.

According to Steve Young's wiki profile, he is, indeed, the great great great grandson of Brigham Young.

I have no famous (or notorious for that matter) ancestor. Bet it is a great way to pick up chicks.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
According to Steve Young's wiki profile, he is, indeed, the great great great grandson of Brigham Young.

I have no famous (or notorious for that matter) ancestor. Bet it is a great way to pick up chicks.

Yeah, I'm sure that is a great fallback for him when the good looking, multi-millionaire, football legend angle just isn't getting it done.

bholley80

Sep 29, 2011
Provo, Utah

Well let me see what Ol' Google has to say about that :)... Cause I actually have no clue

bholley80

Sep 29, 2011
Provo, Utah
I get it. Just be sure that all the linemen and linebackers go on a mission. :smile:

Dude I hate the whole mission / player thing. You get all excited a certain recruit, who usually redshirts his 1st yr in the program, who then goes an a 2 yr mission, and then 3 yrs (and 30-40 lbs of fat) later, you get to finally see him play. I mean, its cool that they are willing to drop what they love doing, and go be of service etc. but man, its hard as a fan.

andjhostet

Sep 11, 2011
Burlington, Iowa
This is great news. Pick up another north team like Cincy or Louisville and a south team like Houston, TCU, USF or WVU and we could have a competitive 12 team conference. Plus ISU has an easy win against Cincy, Louisville, or UH and have winnable games against BYU, TCU, USF, or WVU. By winnable I mean more of a better chance year in and year out than Nebraska and TAMU.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
BYU would be a welcome addition, they seem to have passionate fans and I'd love to make a road trip to Provo. It looks like gorgeous country.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Sounds like going to BYU is like walking around a dealership full of really nice cars with giant signs everywhere that say "ABSOLUTELY NO TEST DRIVING. ALL PURCHASES FINAL."

Yeah, but on the plus side, not only is owning more than one vehicle permitted, it's encouraged...

ClivePurple

Jan 9, 2010
We've got the drinking truths/myths covered. Now let's get to what really counts. The Mormon women; they are generally hot, hot, hot. Unavailable, pregnant most of the time, but hot. Most guys on this board who are over 40 would love to have their old lady look like Marie Osmond.

That should qualify BYU for the conference right there.

PolyCougar

Sep 30, 2011
I'm sorry, but I busted out laughing when you said you were sent to Keokuk for mission work. I usually think of 3rd world countries as places you go for mission work.

I guess the difference isn't that far off.

(yes, potentially angry SE Iowan, my hometown is a dump too)

I won't lie, considering my Dad went to the Phillipines, brother went to Brazil, best friend went to South Africa, cousin went to Japan... I was a little bummed when I was sent to the Mississippi River to speak mid-western for two years. But other than the occasional death threat from the KKK, and having to explain that a Polynesian is not a big Mexican almost daily, I loved the mid-west... it's actually a huge reason I want the Big 12 thing to come through, I need a good reason to roadie out there.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
What if they make a big, dramatic announcement during their game on ESPN tonight? I guess I'll have to watch now.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'm sold on BYU and Provo. I've been telling my wife for the past year that I've wanted to do a trip somewhere around Utah or Arizona, just because I think that's pretty country. The pictures of BYU's stadium have me wanting to see an away game there.