BYU to the Big 12?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They were completely undressed by utah at home. I think the talent has fallen off a bit from years past. im just saying this particular team isn't good.

2010: Utah 68, ISU 27
2011: Texas 17, BYU 16.

Hope you're right and we win easily tomorrow because they're about the same as Texas this year.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
2010: Utah 68, ISU 27
2011: Texas 17, BYU 16.

Hope you're right and we win easily tomorrow because they're about the same as Texas this year.

Texas tried to hand them that game and byu couldn't do anything on offense. Texas has been better since the qb switch.

PolyCougar

Sep 30, 2011
They were completely undressed by utah at home. I think the talent has fallen off a bit from years past. im just saying this particular team isn't good.

I probably went too far with all the pictures... just proud of my peeps.

Completely undressed by Utah would be an understatement, I've never seen them play so bad in my entire life (well... since Boise St. dismantled them and fans came to the game wearing brown bags on their heads... Coach Crowton was fired right after). Utah fans already have T-shirts "And on the 7th turnover, the Utes rested". It was completely embarrassing. I think the talent is more than there, it's just a team of Sophmores and Freshman trying to figure things out. Most fans get the feeling that next year may be the year that they get it together for an entire season.

BYU football runs in strange 4 to 5 year cycles of being better than average, and then all of the sudden outstanding... BYU fans have been dying for an upgrade in competition for years. In all the other sports BYU is very used to first or second in Conference play, it'd be nice to have a real measuring stick. Our fanbase is massive and supports the team through anything (I went to every home game during a 1-25 basketball season... two coaches fired that season).

To be honest, Football is the moneymaker, but I'd love to see Big 12 teams come in basketball to our 22,000 seater, The Marriott Center (Marriott hotels... mormon family). Nobody wants to come because BYU doesn't loose there. It's an amazing venue that never gets the love it deserves.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Completely undressed by Utah would be an understatement, I've never seen them play so bad in my entire life (well... since Boise St. dismantled them and fans came to the game wearing brown bags on their heads... Coach Crowton was fired right after). Utah fans already have T-shirts "And on the 7th turnover, the Utes rested". It was completely embarrassing. I think the talent is more than there, it's just a team of Sophmores and Freshman trying to figure things out. Most fans get the feeling that next year may be the year that they get it together for an entire season.

BYU football runs in strange 4 to 5 year cycles of being better than average, and then all of the sudden outstanding... BYU fans have been dying for an upgrade in competition for years. In all the other sports BYU is very used to first or second in Conference play, it'd be nice to have a real measuring stick. Our fanbase is massive and supports the team through anything (I went to every home game during a 1-25 basketball season... two coaches fired that season).

To be honest, Football is the moneymaker, but I'd love to see Big 12 teams come in basketball to our 22,000 seater, The Marriott Center (Marriott hotels... mormon family). Nobody wants to come because BYU doesn't loose there. It's an amazing venue that never gets the love it deserves.

Just based on the couple nationally televised bball games last year the Marriott Center looked like a hell of an atmosphere.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I think the key is getting Missouri to see that other quality schools will join the B12, then lock up everyone so that the conference is stable. I reeeeaaallllly hope we keep Missouri. I like matchups with boardering states and think the B12 will loose a little more luster with each team that leaves.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I would think Missouri would be getting a lot of pressure from KC, if they go it will hurt that town big time. It's easier on ISU's budget to have MU, KU, and KSU within a stones throw of Ames.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
In a typical year, I'm skiing by Thanksgiving, sometimes sooner. I'm giving you the invite now...mark it down, if we join the B12, and ISU comes into town, I will take you to Snowbird for a day in ski heaven...my treat. I'm being serious too. That goes for any of you guys
If your in the Big12, I say we make ISU/BYU a Friday after Thanksgiving day game. Every other year we could head out there and ski too! Man, now I'm excited for winter!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I would think Missouri would be getting a lot of pressure from KC, if they go it will hurt that town big time. It's easier on ISU's budget to have MU, KU, and KSU within a stones throw of Ames.

There's a better chance the Big 12 starts playing its championship games in Salt Lake City than the SEC playing their championships in KC or STL. Meaning zero chance. They are waving things like that goodbye for their whole state. Without Missouri I think the B12 SHOULD use OKC as the main basketball tournament site.

Unless they're just using it for leverage Missouri is being 10x as dumb as A&M with this whole SEC thing and A&M was pretty dumb about it. Missouri has a BETTER option down the road than A&M ever had in joining a Big Ten where they can dominate financially and on the field.

The only advantage the SEC may have over the Big 12 for Missouri is if the Big 12 is working on something that makes it near impossible to leave and they have a reason to think they can leave the SEC very easily for the Big Ten.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007

So you have a Marriott center? We have a hilton!

What causes the byu football team to cycle like that? Something to do with older players back from their mission or is it something else?

PolyCougar

Sep 30, 2011
So you have a Marriott center? We have a hilton!

What causes the byu football team to cycle like that? Something to do with older players back from their mission or is it something else?

I wish we could figure that out, I know the missions really play with consistency on the football team for sure, so many coming and going. Plus balancing scholarships for kids that aren't there and ones that are in school.

The missions are actually the most frustrating part of being a BYU fan, at times... I'm happy when they go, but it sucks from an athletic standpoint. Almost all of the greatest QB's didn't serve missions (Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Gifford Nielson, Gary Sheide... plus Jim McMahon and Steve Sarkisian, granted they weren't Mormons... John Beck who's with the Redskins, and Max Hall with the Cardinals both served). Outside of Austin Collie, missions absolutely kill our skill positions. I swear you send a kid off as a Wide Receiver and he comes back looking like a Right Tackle, or struggling with a tapeworm from Guatemala. Some don't even like football as much anymore. People say missions are an advantage, and maybe for Linemen... but nobody else is too excited about signing a kid today that won't be playing for you until 2015 after a red-shirt year, and chancing his 4.3 40 turning into a 4.9. When USC came and recruited out Stanley Havili against BYU, they told him they didn't want him to serve a mission if he went there. I think the same was asked of Haloti Ngata, who didn't go on a mission, when it was BYU or Oregon (not sure though).

Basketball is even worse, we've had a whole lot of All-American High Schoolers come off the missions as so-so's or injury prone... our greatest players (Danny Ainge and Jimmer Freddette) didn't go on missions... Shawn Bradley might be the only exception, but he spent most of his NBA career getting dunked on for other peoples posters.

Even the best Baseball Mormons, like Roy Halladay, Dale Murphy, Bruce Hurst, Jeff Kent, or Harmon Killebrew, didn't go on missions... so the "advantage" that people say BYU has, when it comes to "older more mature players" because of their missions really makes me laugh.

Last edited:

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I wish we could figure that out, I know the missions really play with consistency on the football team for sure, so many coming and going. Plus balancing scholarships for kids that aren't there and ones that are in school.

The missions are actually the most frustrating part of being a BYU fan, at times... I'm happy when they go, but it sucks from an athletic standpoint. Almost all of the greatest QB's didn't serve missions (Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Gifford Nielson, Gary Sheide... plus Jim McMahon and Steve Sarkisian, granted they weren't Mormons... John Beck who's with the Redskins, and Max Hall with the Cardinals both served). Outside of Austin Collie, missions absolutely kill our skill positions. I swear you send a kid off as a Wide Receiver and he comes back looking like a Right Tackle, or struggling with a tapeworm from Guatemala. Some don't even like football as much anymore. People say missions are an advantage, and maybe for Linemen... but nobody else is too excited about signing a kid today that won't be playing for you until 2015 after a red-shirt year, and chancing his 4.3 40 turning into a 4.9. When USC came and recruited out Stanley Havili against BYU, they told him they didn't want him to serve a mission if he went there. I think the same was asked of Haloti Ngata, who didn't go on a mission, when it was BYU or Oregon (not sure though).

Basketball is even worse, we've had a whole lot of All-American High Schoolers come off the missions as so-so's or injury prone... our greatest players (Danny Ainge and Jimmer Freddette) didn't go on missions... Shawn Bradley might be the only exception, but he spent most of his NBA career getting dunked on for other peoples posters.

Question...do you get a choice if you go on a misson or not and who decides where you go? What percentage of BYU athletes are actually mormons? Thanks in advance.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Is the basketball arena generally sold out or close to that? That's just huge.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
Hope all this BYU chatter is correct! Welcome BYU!

PolyCougar

Sep 30, 2011
Question...do you get a choice if you go on a misson or not and who decides where you go? What percentage of BYU athletes are actually mormons? Thanks in advance.

It's a choice, but I'd be lying if I didn't say there is a boat load of social pressure to go. That's the hardest part, especially when you go to the school sponsored by the church... but players like Jake Heaps and Ross Apo who are both Mormons aren't going and it doesn't effect anything from a church standpoint at all.

As for percentage of LDS players, I thought I saw something a while ago that was saying 80%-ish to 90%-ish. In the 70's and 80's it was closer to 50-50 from what I've been told. But Mormon doesn't mean they come, even Iowa stole away Tony Moeaki for one. And the top HS Basketballer in the country (Jabari Parker) is most definitely not coming to BYU even though he's devout Mormon.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

Uhh...I don't think so...could have went further. :cool:

I find it so funny that even your mascot looks like a Mormon...good stuff!
cn_image.size.mittromney.jpg

97825189_display_image.jpg

Reactions: jdoggivjc

PolyCougar

Sep 30, 2011
Is the basketball arena generally sold out or close to that? That's just huge.

I think it averaged in the 15k to 16k range in a non-Jimmer type year, but during conference (MWC mind you) it would jump to around 18k-19k for an average. The Utah game always sells out, as do the other top teams of the MWC, along with the final game of the season. Last year, though, it was tough to get a ticket. And when Georgia Tech came it sold out fast, I imagine a Big 12 logo on the floor would keep the average in the 20k range... IMHO.