Caleb Grill Appreciation Thread

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
No inside info - but I have to think he and King will be back for sure next year with Jones and Ward being less of a sure thing

One other kudo for Grill - he's gotten himself into FANTASTIC shape. He can play high intensity defense for 40 minutes and look just as fresh at the end of the game.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I bagged on Grill frequently up until this season, mostly in defiance of those who swore he was the best thing since sliced bread before he did anything to deserve the hype. I love him now. Seems like he is probably the 3rd or even 2nd most important player on the team currently. He is just flying around out there like a wild man, scrapping after loose balls, frequently leading the team in rebounding as a 6'3'' white boy, and shooting lights out as of late.

Iowa State finally has their own version of Phil Forte (aka short annoying white guy).
This guy played for 8 years. No joke.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
I think he looks like Davey Havok from the band AFI.
DaveyHavok-JonthanWeiner-2021-4.jpg
my family says he reminds them of a young Steve Alford

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I don't know what Caleb has planned for a career but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up coaching. I think the best coaches are those who, as an athlete, over-achieved their natural talent level by watching and listening to their coaches. These guys tend to pick up a lot of insight into the coaching world. Further, I'd bet he would have Iowa State on his list of locations he would want to go.

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
I don't know what Caleb has planned for a career but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up coaching. I think the best coaches are those who, as an athlete, over-achieved their natural talent level by watching and listening to their coaches. These guys tend to pick up a lot of insight into the coaching world. Further, I'd bet he would have Iowa State on his list of locations he would want to go.
He majored in education so he could maybe coach a school sports team

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
He’s really on a roll with his shot lately. He’s always given great effort and was a good defender last year too. Definitely appreciate Caleb (Fire up the) Grill.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
He’s really on a roll with his shot lately. He’s always given great effort and was a good defender last year too. Definitely appreciate Caleb (Fire up the) Grill.
He is making very difficult 3 pointers like Tyrese McGee

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
This thread seems like ancient history.
I thought CG looked stiff Saturday.
Wonder how he'll do with the quick turnaround. Really needed.

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
This thread seems like ancient history.
I thought CG looked stiff Saturday.
Wonder how he'll do with the quick turnaround. Really needed.
He is certainly in a lot of pain. Good thing he gets a lot of rest between now and Baylor and then from Baylor to KC

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Seeing players develop is cool, I guess.
He really had developed into a solid P6 role type of player for us. I didn't think he would ever get there after watching him his FR year and most of last year even. He sure burned brightly.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I would assume it didn't end how he wanted it to end, but thanks for being a Cyclone Caleb.
Loved grill since his first year, thru all his travels, and circling back. Always played with intensity and desire to win, a complete athlete. I wish him the best.

Reactions: NWICY