Cam Henderson deciding tonight

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
WHy? UCF has a brand new stadium, nice facilities, located in Orlando which of course offers countless things to do, great weather, close to his home, and they are just about as capable of beating the same teams as ISU.

Most non-biased people would agree that UCF is just as good if not a better choice than ISU. The only drawback is that they don't play in a BCS conference. They have us beat in about everything else. It also has the largest undergrad enrollment in the country.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Most non-biased people would agree that UCF is just as good if not a better choice than ISU. The only drawback is that they don't play in a BCS conference. They have us beat in about everything else. It also has the largest undergrad enrollment in the country.

Personally, I think that is a very big deal.
But, that is only my opinion. Not Henderson's obviously.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

They do not have better facilities than we do. They have a big enrollment, but how does that help or hurt?The only thing I can think of that is attractive for a recruit is warm weather, and lower entrance requirements.

UCF had two open spots at DE, and gave Henderson's best friend and college teammate(also a higher ranked recruit) a scholly and locked him up. We were at a big disadvantage, and we were not the only Big 12 team left in the dust on this one.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I've seen UCF on ESPN multiple times over the last 2-3yrs.

It is also a large university...much bigger than ISU with about 45,000 students.

How does size matter. Oklahoma has less students than we do, and they mop the floor with us yearly. University size means squat.

Last edited:

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
Personally, I think that is a very big deal.
But, that is only my opinion. Not Henderson's obviously.

The acronym and it's arbitrary assignment of placing affiliated schools above non-affiliated schools has been forced on us to mean something that it really isn't. There are plenty of examples of BCS schools that are not as worthy of entitlement as some non-BCS schools. Not saying ISU is one of them but when used as an argument why a kid should go to one school over another I don't find the point that compelling.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
They do not have better facilities than we do. They have a big enrollment, but how does that help or hurt?The only thing I can think of that is attractive for a recruit is warm weather, and lower entrance requirements.

UCF had two open spots at DE, and gave Henderson's best friend and college teammate(also a higher ranked recruit) a scholly and locked him up. We were at a big disadvantage, and we were not the only Big 12 team left in the dust on this one.

So what exactly are you saying? That ISU is a more attractive destination for a football recruit than UCF? I just don't see it. They are on an equal level at this moment. I can't attest to UCF's facilities but I wouldn't say ISU's are anything to brag about.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I've seen UCF on ESPN multiple times over the last 2-3yrs.

It is also a large university...much bigger than ISU with about 45,000 students.
Im talking ABC, the end our Nebraska was watched by the entire nation, when was UCF ever on ABC minus when they played a BCS school? ISU will be on national TV for whoever gets FSN every week next season if not ABC and ESPN, does UCF get that exposure?

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
The acronym and it's arbitrary assignment of placing affiliated schools above non-affiliated schools has been forced on us to mean something that it really isn't. There are plenty of examples of BCS schools that are not as worthy of entitlement as some non-BCS schools. Not saying ISU is one of them but when used as an argument why a kid should go to one school over another I don't find the point that compelling.

BCS conferences are almost always stronger/better than non-BCS conferences.
Yeah, you have the Big East vs Mt West argument, but almost always the PAC 10, Big 10, Big 12, and SEC would mop the floor with any non-BCS conference.
You get an auto bid in a BCS conference.
You are going to get more exposure in a BCS conference.
You are going to get to play against the "big boys" week in and week out.
Etc, etc.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
BCS conferences are almost always stronger/better than non-BCS conferences.
Yeah, you have the Big East vs Mt West argument, but almost always the PAC 10, Big 10, Big 12, and SEC would mop the floor with any non-BCS conference.
You get an auto bid in a BCS conference.
You are going to get more exposure in a BCS conference.
You are going to get to play against the "big boys" week in and week out.
Etc, etc.

Of course I understand that. My point is that on a consistent basis there are only a few teams from each of those conferences that have a chance to win it. Yeah you get to play the big boys but you also get to lose a lot against them. In this day of 35 bowl games a team like UCF has just as much a chance, if not more, than an ISU-like team of making a bowl game.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
The thing is we and the country will never hear anything out of this guy unless he is worthy of a Heisman, at ISU playing in the Big 12, that would have brought him praise for an above average season.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Of course I understand that. My point is that on a consistent basis there are only a few teams from each of those conferences that have a chance to win it. Yeah you get to play the big boys but you also get to lose a lot against them. In this day of 35 bowl games a team like UCF has just as much a chance, if not more, than an ISU-like team of making a bowl game.

I dont know if that is accurate. Flukes or miracle seasons can happen. I would have told you that we didnt have a chance to beat Texas in Austin ever, until we did. It will get harder though in the Big 12 since the championship game is going away.
The BCS conferences get one auto-bid and a lot of times 2 BCS bids. So that increases everyone's standing in the conference as far as bowl prestige goes.
And I imagine BCS confereces have better bowl affiliations than say, Conf USA.
Would a 6-6 Central Florida get the equivalent of an Insight Bowl invitation? Nope.

I agree with the last point though. Thats obvious.