Campbells Ohio game exit video

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So we just have dumb guys on the OL? Or are the coaches too dumb to teach them?
I have no idea if it's coaching or between the ears, but Ive seen enough to know that there are major issues with the schemes. Simmons on a toss last game pulled out and basically tried to turn sideways instead of hitting one of the three possible tacklers coming in. Always hit the first guy to at least give the back a chance. Lineman are supposed to get mad if you DON'T hit them, not try to avoid contact.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Talent was the reason for those losses then, coaching (Campbell and the offenses coaching) is the reason for the losses now.
It wasn't talent. Even Walden said he had not seen the level of talent that he had when he stepped onto ISUs campus.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I have no idea if it's coaching or between the ears, but Ive seen enough to know that there are major issues with the schemes. Simmons on a toss last game pulled out and basically tried to turn sideways instead of hitting one of the three possible tacklers coming in. Always hit the first guy to at least give the back a chance. Lineman are supposed to get mad if you DON'T hit them, not try to avoid contact.
Simmons is really really bad. The sad part is that he's that bad and is still playing. I don't think Clanton's the issue at all. I think it's probably 20% scheme and 80% talent. We're running inside zone right at stacked boxes where we won't even show the option to run the QB. And if it's 1st down I'd say our tendency to run is incredibly high so you might as well just give us the ball at 2nd and 9.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Simmons is really really bad. The sad part is that he's that bad and is still playing. I don't think Clanton's the issue at all. I think it's probably 20% scheme and 80% talent. We're running inside zone right at stacked boxes where we won't even show the option to run the QB. And if it's 1st down I'd say our tendency to run is incredibly high so you might as well just give us the ball at 2nd and 9.
The coaches didn't think it was a talent issue based on lack of effort in the portal pursuing offensive linemen.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’d take 2nd and 9. We were 2nd and 14 a lot Saturday.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The coaches didn't think it was a talent issue based on lack of effort in the portal pursuing offensive linemen.
Maybe losing Remsburg was a bigger deal than we thought? Also Hasert was projected to start and sounds like he's out for the year. But yeah, looks like not going to the portal there hindered any potential improvement.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Maybe losing Remsburg was a bigger deal than we thought? Also Hasert was projected to start and sounds like he's out for the year. But yeah, looks like not going to the portal there hindered any potential improvement.
Wonder if we were going to be a heavier passing team. Our pass blocking has been okay, but running block has been awful. Issue with the pass blocking is we don't go down field so they everyone in tight and it creates a lot of traffic for everyone. We gotta let it fly a little to open thing up.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Wonder if we were going to be a heavier passing team. Our pass blocking has been okay, but running block has been awful. Issue with the pass blocking is we don't go down field so they everyone in tight and it creates a lot of traffic for everyone. We gotta let it fly a little to open thing up.
Have we seen enough pass blocking to say that its okay? We certainly haven't seen enough long routes to know if these guys can hold blocks.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
If this was a Hawk we would be calling out "Tavern Hawk". All the more reason to have just ignored him. Based on what's been said about other comments from him at the game I won't mind seeing him banned from Trice.

With that said, it only went viral because Campbell responded. You've just gotta let this stuff slide especially after getting humiliated on the road like that. It's a bad look. Not fun seeing emails from friends on it today (not Cyclones or Hawks, just sports fan guys). Coaches and fans get mad at players retaliating on the field and getting a penalty when someone else "started it". Coach had no more discipline than a player picking up a 15 yearder.
It is similar to getting a penalty in the red zone or on an attempted game winning drive.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Have we seen enough pass blocking to say that its okay? We certainly haven't seen enough long routes to know if these guys can hold blocks.
We’ve given up one sack through three games which is really solid. But that’s also because Rocco’s getting the ball out early and he’s been pretty good at escaping pressure. He’s not exactly sitting in clean pockets for 5 seconds.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86 and BCClone

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
I didn't see Hasert projected to start anywhere. Maybe I missed it somewhere. But I don't think a true freshman on the OL would have made much of a difference at all. Regarding Remsburg they knew he was caught up in the gambling deal so you would have thought they would hit the portal if they thought he was a big loss.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It seems to me that our linemen are not capable of doing what they are being asked to do. Often guys are not quick enough to block down and the defender ends up splitting our linemen and making a tackle in the back field. I understand that we are trying to get more blockers at the point of attack, but guys are totally whiffing on their blocks.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I didn't see Hasert projected to start anywhere. Maybe I missed it somewhere. But I don't think a true freshman on the OL would have made much of a difference at all. Regarding Remsburg they knew he was caught up in the gambling deal so you would have thought they would hit the portal if they thought he was a big loss.
Yeah I’m in agreement that either way, hitting the portal seems like it definitely shouldn’t happened. Our guys look flat out lost. Our guys aren’t even touching people.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
The ISU fan looked like a mouthy first class douche in my opinion. Was a season ticket holder for 25 years and NEVER yelled at the coaches or players like that.
Ya I think what set him off in particular was yelling it at him in front of the players more than anything else.

Even if it's directed at him and not the players, and even if the comment was completely true (which I don't think it was), it DOES impact the kids if there were to be a coaching change looming or eminent.

Say what you will about CMC, but he takes that kind of stuff pretty seriously. Personal feelings aside, he's not going to take kindly to ANYONE on the outside, fans or otherwise, saying anything that might impact the players mentally in a negative way, whether it's warranted or not.

I think it's safe to assume that will always be the case with CMC for better or worse.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Blaming the line isn't fair to them. Right now our offense is so predictable, defenses can simply load the box and tee off on the line with no risk of getting burned.
Idk, we guys who couldn't even get a body on a defender. Neal in particular doesn't look like a d1 player, I felt embarrassed for him Saturday. He looked totally in over his head against a Mac d line.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
FWIW, CW and Blum both agreed that he was probably going to he a starter. They said it in their most recent podcast this week.

• Informative
Reactions: criticalobserver