Carter Pearson Commits!

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Hope this doesn't get me kicked off... here's the story

One of the top Iowa high school wrestlers in the Class of 2025 will be staying local, as Southeast Polk's Carter Pearson announced today he will be attending Iowa State University. The 2024 state champion is the second known commitment in the Cyclones 2025 recruiting class. The #10 ranked Christian Castillo of Valiant Prep (Arizona) committed to the program roughly a month ago.

Pearson is a three-time state medalist for the Rams taking third as both a freshman and sophomore, and this season he claimed the 3A 120-pound title in a bracket that featured a nationally ranked wrestler in the Class of 2024 and 2026. In the finals Pearson won a 1-0 battle with Bettendorf's Jake Knight to secure his first-ever state crown. Knight is considered the #52 wrestler in the country for the Class of '26.

With that win Pearson has moved into the national rankings at 120 pounds, currently ranked #21 by MatScouts. In the preseason MatScouts also had Pearson ranked #76 in the Class of 2025. As a freshman Pearson dropped his semifinal match to Bettendorf's TJ Koester, and as a sophomore he was upset by Norwalk's Tyler Harper. Both wrestlers are also nationally ranked for their grade. Harper is headed to Little Rock to wrestle Division I next season.

Pearson had also taken visits to top academic programs Columbia and Cornell last fall prior to picking Iowa State. He mentioned that he wanted to make this decision prior to the summer in order to focus on wrestling as opposed to the recruiting process. His goals for the summer include making a World Team or to win Fargo. He also has his eyes set on winning a second state title next winter.

"Those Ivy League schools were pretty expensive," Pearson said of his decision, "I might have missed out on a better education and different experience, but when Kevin Dresser talked to me about the opportunity at Iowa State I couldn't say no."

The Cyclones are coming off a monumental finish at the 2024 NCAA championships that saw them take fourth place overall. It's the highest finish for the program since Kevin Dresser took over as head coach as he helped lead four wrestler to a podium finish including crowning the 165-pound champion David Carr. The Cyclones will return three All-Americans from this year's squad.

"I think that Iowa State was very fun to watch this year and I just thought it would be fun to be apart of a team like that. They keep getting better every year."

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Hope this doesn't get me kicked off... here's the story

One of the top Iowa high school wrestlers in the Class of 2025 will be staying local, as Southeast Polk's Carter Pearson announced today he will be attending Iowa State University. The 2024 state champion is the second known commitment in the Cyclones 2025 recruiting class. The #10 ranked Christian Castillo of Valiant Prep (Arizona) committed to the program roughly a month ago.

Pearson is a three-time state medalist for the Rams taking third as both a freshman and sophomore, and this season he claimed the 3A 120-pound title in a bracket that featured a nationally ranked wrestler in the Class of 2024 and 2026. In the finals Pearson won a 1-0 battle with Bettendorf's Jake Knight to secure his first-ever state crown. Knight is considered the #52 wrestler in the country for the Class of '26.

With that win Pearson has moved into the national rankings at 120 pounds, currently ranked #21 by MatScouts. In the preseason MatScouts also had Pearson ranked #76 in the Class of 2025. As a freshman Pearson dropped his semifinal match to Bettendorf's TJ Koester, and as a sophomore he was upset by Norwalk's Tyler Harper. Both wrestlers are also nationally ranked for their grade. Harper is headed to Little Rock to wrestle Division I next season.

Pearson had also taken visits to top academic programs Columbia and Cornell last fall prior to picking Iowa State. He mentioned that he wanted to make this decision prior to the summer in order to focus on wrestling as opposed to the recruiting process. His goals for the summer include making a World Team or to win Fargo. He also has his eyes set on winning a second state title next winter.

"Those Ivy League schools were pretty expensive," Pearson said of his decision, "I might have missed out on a better education and different experience, but when Kevin Dresser talked to me about the opportunity at Iowa State I couldn't say no."

The Cyclones are coming off a monumental finish at the 2024 NCAA championships that saw them take fourth place overall. It's the highest finish for the program since Kevin Dresser took over as head coach as he helped lead four wrestler to a podium finish including crowning the 165-pound champion David Carr. The Cyclones will return three All-Americans from this year's squad.

"I think that Iowa State was very fun to watch this year and I just thought it would be fun to be apart of a team like that. They keep getting better every year."
Should be good. Article is free…

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
This commitment is awesome. Carter is an amazing kid.

Really good golfer too :D
I already called him on my Golf team for the outing so don't get any ideas ;)

Seriously... Congrats to Carter & his family AND the Coaching Staff. He's a good get and I predict his style will translate to College Success. I'm excited to know that some of my C&G Collective $$$ could be heading his way.