CBF extension

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
So BF will be around for another 5 years. This gives him plenty of time to put together some back to back recruiting classes that will lead to greener pastures. This is the biggie. Recruit, recruit, recruit.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I do appreciate all that Coach Fennelly has done for Iowa State...taking a program that typically was near the bottom of the conference to one that won conference titles and has a top 10 national attendance every year. However, I feel that once a school decides to "move on" from a long tern coach, it usually wants to move in a different direction coach style-wise. Maybe the son is the answer...that would have to be judged by the AD when filling the position. I would hope that the AD have an open mind and have a list of candidates. ISU is a great destination for any coach!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I've always hoped Brenda would be his successor. The lure of family, roots and extending the program into higher levels might be enticing.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I too thought he had a "lifetime" contract, but I have not read it.

It was termed as a "lifetime" deal when it was done (in 2007). At that time, it was for 12 years and was set to expire in 2019, when Bill was 62. Now, he's locked in until 65.

4CY4EVR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 17, 2010
Another coach to consider when Bill finally hangs it up is Connie Yori. She's from Ankeny, knows Iowa, & the big 12.
I know she had some personal issues with a divorce she was dealing with but came across like she was kind of railroaded at Nebraska. Not sure this is move JP would consider however..(provided hes still here in 5 years)

• Agree
Reactions: SMP05

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I too thought he had a "lifetime" contract, but I have not read it. As for a successor, I like Brenda Frese. A million + would get her interest or someone of her caliber. Muffet McGraw gets 1.33.

Watching Brenda's team right now. The Oregon upstart freshman are kinda putting it to the Fighting Brenda's by 12 points in the 3rd.

Hard to believe Coach Frese has been at Maryland for 15 years already. Skeptical that we will ever see her back in Iowa (just don't envision any scenario for that) but we are still forever indebted to her for recruiting Megan Taylor. And maybe that kid sister transfer. ;)

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I do admire BF for what he did to take this program from absolutely nothing to a successful program.

That being said, I'm not very happy or excited by this extension. IMHO, the program has become stagnant. Even when he has recruited good athletes, he doesn't seem to do much with them. Let's face it, the program has gotten by the first round of the NCAA once in the last 7 years, despite having some very good athletes.

ISU WBB now seems to have just become the Fennelly family business. I think an extension like this just signals BF that this level of play is acceptable to the ISU fans and administration, and that is a bad signal to send any coach at any time. Seems to me that complacency sets in, and already has for this program. I think his son is probably a good recruiter, but I don't have a clue if he can coach at all. I think a change would be good for the program in the long run.

He has some good talent coming in next year, but does anyone really believe that BF can get this program to the next level of play (again)? I just don't see it. I hope I am wrong.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
So I guess that frivolous lawsuit from whatsherface was frivolous?

The last I heard it was still scheduled for September. I'm in the camp that thinks the most likely resolution is settlement, followed distantly by it being dropped by the plaintiff.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
The last I heard it was still scheduled for September. I'm in the camp that thinks the most likely resolution is settlement, followed distantly by it being dropped by the plaintiff.

Based on the statements made when the lawsuit was first filed it didn't sound like there was any intention to settle. And I really hope they don't settle as agreeing to settlements is what encourages frivolous suits to continue.

Hopefully they force her attorneys to actually put a case together and present it to a jury/judge, because I doubt they want to have to take it that far.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I do admire BF for what he did to take this program from absolutely nothing to a successful program.

That being said, I'm not very happy or excited by this extension. IMHO, the program has become stagnant. Even when he has recruited good athletes, he doesn't seem to do much with them. Let's face it, the program has gotten by the first round of the NCAA once in the last 7 years, despite having some very good athletes.

ISU WBB now seems to have just become the Fennelly family business. I think an extension like this just signals BF that this level of play is acceptable to the ISU fans and administration, and that is a bad signal to send any coach at any time. Seems to me that complacency sets in, and already has for this program. I think his son is probably a good recruiter, but I don't have a clue if he can coach at all. I think a change would be good for the program in the long run.

He has some good talent coming in next year, but does anyone really believe that BF can get this program to the next level of play (again)? I just don't see it. I hope I am wrong.

Agree with some (hell, most) of this except I think the status quo is just fine with the AD and most of the fan base. It would be fine at most non-elite schools. Attendance is down (talking actual bodies in seats) but still better than most P5 by a ways. Making the NCAA (regardless of advancing) and staying out of the 2nd tier in the league most years is good enough here. We aren't likely to challenge Baylor or Texas for the league lead and I'd don't think anyone realistically is expecting that anymore. I think the chance and expectation to build off of those 15 years ago teams and our crazy fan support to become an elite team in the league has come and gone. Could do worse though, look at Minnesota, after their Sweet 16, Final Four, Sweet Sixteen run they have essentially been an NIT level program. They are doing a lot less then we are with the same general opportunity.

And anything can happen, watched the Oregon freshman hustle and shoot their way into the Elite Eight yesterday. Not expecting it but it could happen.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Agree with some (hell, most) of this except I think the status quo is just fine with the AD and most of the fan base. It would be fine at most non-elite schools. Attendance is down (talking actual bodies in seats) but still better than most P5 by a ways. Making the NCAA (regardless of advancing) and staying out of the 2nd tier in the league most years is good enough here. We aren't likely to challenge Baylor or Texas for the league lead and I'd don't think anyone realistically is expecting that anymore. I think the chance and expectation to build off of those 15 years ago teams and our crazy fan support to become an elite team in the league has come and gone. Could do worse though, look at Minnesota, after their Sweet 16, Final Four, Sweet Sixteen run they have essentially been an NIT level program. They are doing a lot less then we are with the same general opportunity.

And anything can happen, watched the Oregon freshman hustle and shoot their way into the Elite Eight yesterday. Not expecting it but it could happen.

Pretty much agree with this. BF was way ahead of his time with the 3 ball offense now embraced by all, and some repeated misses in posts whether recruiting or not panning out caused a sustained drop in momentum until Wieben.

Now that everyone has gone to the 3 or layup spread the floor offense, it's time to find new ways to innovate.

The versatile wing player is the new critical player, with many teams running a 2 guard 2 wing 1 forward/post lineup.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

I am hoping that the extension by JP included a commitment on BF's end to make some long overdue staff upgrades to help boost recruiting. He sorely needs a Brenda Frese or Robin Pingeton on his staff again. If Latoya needs to be reassigned to facilitate the upgrade, do it now.