Cedar Rapids/Iowa City corridor breweries 2018

s_ford

Jul 30, 2018
A disambiguation for he who apparently missed my banter with the contributor who was apparently a cousin/brother/like kindred (noted here as ThewPromoter) of the person doing the brewing at THEW:
From and earlier post
ThewPromoter: The head brewer at Thew will be a guy who once brewed beer at Toppling Goliath.
CC1091: So I suppose they will call their beer THEWDOTHEW?

So in this case, THEWDO SUING is yet another play on the Pseudo Sue name.
(Hey, don't Thew Me).

Anyhow, if their current location does not introduce mold into their beer, then something is very wrong with my taster and sniffer.
Yeah I read that the head brewer there used to be the head brewer of TG. I was referring to your statement that there was mold content in their water...

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Yeah I read that the head brewer there used to be the head brewer of TG. I was referring to your statement that there was mold content in their water...

No, mold content in their building, making brewing or storing any beer difficult.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Random but anyone know of any bars or restaurants with shuffle board in Cedar Rapids?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Backpocket location is becoming an 80s themed bar. not sure how well that will do but i've lived in CR for 5 years now and still dont understand how some places thrive and other close in 6 months

a few other places slated to open in Q1 that look interesting.

Lost & Found Spirits And Provisions
69 16th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids

Joel Kane, the former owner of Bata’s (or Beta’s, as it was renamed), is working on his next venture, Lost & Found Provisions. Though he originally planned to open in Marion, he has since relocated the restaurant to Czech Village. The concept includes charbroiled burgers, comfort foods and unique craft cocktails.

Moco Game Room & Hot Dog Bar
1602 E Ave. NE, Cedar Rapids

Justin Zehr and Tim Kindl opened Local Pour & Street Food in March and didn’t wait long to plan their next venture. They’re working to renovate the bar that previously housed ****’s Tap & Shake Room and Mahoney’s (RIP to them both). They hope to open Moco Game Room & Hot Dog Bar in February. The games will include pool, foosball, darts, shuffleboard and others, along with board games. The hot dogs will be cooked on rollers and come with a variety of toppings. The space also will feature a bar. The name, Moco, is a nod to nearby Mount Mercy and Coe Colleges.

“We kind of just want approachable, fun things,” Zehr said.

The Rewind
415 Third St. SE, Cedar Rapids

We don’t have many details on this bar yet, beyond that it will be an ‘80s themed bar and will be in the downtown Sokol building, which most recently housed Backpocket Pilot Pub. Bring on the big hair and shoulder pads and turn up Prince and Michael Jackson on the sound system.

Rodina
1507 C St. SW, Cedar Rapids

The Czech Village will soon have a Czech-inspired restaurant. Phoebe and Samuel Charles plan to open Rodina this winter in the location last occupied by Sauce. Rodina means family in Czech, and true to that ethos they plan to serve “family-style, Midwest comfort food.”

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
and you know it is how?
"IF" does not state that I know. But my experience from walking in the door to the place and taking a breath of the air in there, says that there is a serious issue in that building they serve beer from.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Lost & Found Spirits And Provisions
69 16th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids

Moco Game Room & Hot Dog Bar

1602 E Ave. NE, Cedar Rapids

The Rewind
415 Third St. SE, Cedar Rapids

Rodina
1507 C St. SW, Cedar Rapids

Am I mistaken, or do NONE of these brew their own beer?

OK. If we are including new food and beverage ventures, then we also need to include locations which are NOT a part of The Gazette's latest article. For example: Bo Mac's, located between Tornado's and The Kickstand (not the Jelineck's renovated theater nor the odd furniture store). I'm not expecting ANY of these to last long. But I'm very happy and willing to be wrong.

Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Am I mistaken, or do NONE of these brew their own beer?

OK. If we are including new food and beverage ventures, then we also need to include locations which are NOT a part of The Gazette's latest article. For example: Bo Mac's, located between Tornado's and The Kickstand (not the Jelineck's renovated theater nor the odd furniture store). I'm not expecting ANY of these to last long. But I'm very happy and willing to be wrong.

Yeah, sorry I’m just excited about some new places coming to Cedar Rapids and listed non breweries.

My bad for semi off topic

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Third Base has been busy brewing their non-standard brews. Currently on tap aside from their usual five are:

"Brewing Is Still Honest" a Doppelbock. 9.8 ABV, 30 IBU
"Communist Daughter" an Imperial Stout 9.6 ABV 66.6 IBUs
"Welfare Czech" a Czech Style Lager. 5.0 ABV and 29 IBUs
"Vermonty Burns" a Black New England IPA 7.3 ABV and 40 IBUs

Unfortunately I haven't been a regular at Iowa Brewing, Clockhouse, Lion Bridge, etc so I have no idea what is happening there. OTHERS PLEASE REPORT!

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Third Base has been busy brewing their non-standard brews. Currently on tap aside from their usual five are:

Unfortunately I haven't been a regular at Iowa Brewing, Clockhouse, Lion Bridge, etc so I have no idea what is happening there. OTHERS PLEASE REPORT!

Communist Daughter is outstanding, as were the variants.

Lion Bridge is in the middle of their annual Barrel Aged January celebration. Coming soon are their barrel aged stout, GAZPROM! and a double maple version of that. Tap & cans of regular GAZPROM! and double maple GAZ coming in early February, I believe.

Reactions: cc1091

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Communist Daughter is outstanding.

I liked Communist Daughter, except for me it was too 'alcoholic' tasting when it first came out. Maybe it has mellowed in the weeks since? I've been 'settling' for the Doppelbock ("Brewing is Still Honest') which is a touch higher in ABV, but less 'alcoholic' tasting (at least by my tastebuds).

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

Black NEIPA? Two things I really love. I don't think I've been to Third Base in 10+ years, so I can't speak to their quality, but I'm certainly curious.

• Agree
Reactions: dmclone