Cedric Gilbert

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
Rivals is reporting that the 3* WR from Lancaster, Texas has narrowed his college choices down to us and UTEP. I haven't heard much about him (I'm looking at you, yaman3).

This is not premium information.

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
He's not crazy fast or overly big according to Rivals, but if he has good hands, I could see someone like him taking over what Jake did last year and being the clutch receiver when we need it.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I just want a guy who can make plays at WR. We DONT need a speedster. We DONT need a high flyer. We dont need a huge WR that can physically dominate people.

We would have done just fine last year with 3 Jake Williams on the field.

We need a guy who just makes plays.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
If his Picture got in a fight with Calvin Godfreys picture. Which Picture would win. Both Overly scarey looking people.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
He looks like a well rounded recruit. Like others have stated he would be another Jake Williams which is what this team needs.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
SO the staff is going after multiple wide receivers right now...will we have to choose who we want will we take multiple?

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
I like it. The skill positions are critical to Hermans offense. They don't have to be five star guys either. The beauty of the spread is you don't need the best athletes. Just guys that can do the little things, run the right routes, and catch the ball. Something we struggled at last season.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He's not crazy fast or overly big according to Rivals, but if he has good hands, I could see someone like him taking over what Jake did last year and being the clutch receiver when we need it.

It looks like most of you have the idea here, however I disagree that he's not very big. He's probably 6'2 and looks to be at least 200. This looks to me like a Marquis Hamilton sort of guy. Not that fast, not that shifty but big and solid. IMO, we need he, Bundrage or Allen in this class to go on the outside. He's my third option, but he's not a backup IMO. He's not going to turn 10 into 50. He's going to make 7 yard catches on 3rd and 6. He is what he is. Good hands, big body, decent body control. We tend to locked into speed sometimes. It's great to have, but sometimes there are places for different skillsets and I think we definately have a place for his.

If you guys are wondering, the reason I don't talk about a bunch of these guys is often because it's on Rivals. Even though it's not premium, I still would rather chime in when someone else brings it up rather than go over and steal their stuff and bring it over here. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I just want a guy who can make plays at WR. We DONT need a speedster. We DONT need a high flyer. We dont need a huge WR that can physically dominate people.

We would have done just fine last year with 3 Jake Williams on the field.

We need a guy who just makes plays.

this. At 6'2 202, his size is above average compared to the other receivers on the team. For a freshman WR, coming in above 200lbs is pretty good. That's the kind of guy you hope can hit the weight room and add 10-15lbs of muscle by the time he's done. Doesn't matter if he runs a 4.6 if he can get off of a bump, and out muscle cornerbacks whom he is likely to be much bigger than.

Reactions: ajk4st8

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
SO the staff is going after multiple wide receivers right now...will we have to choose who we want will we take multiple?

That's a very good question. I would say we will take Nealy no matter when or who commits. Then I think, depending on how everything else looks, we could take 2 more. Now, please realize that a guy like Gilbert could move somewhere else. I don't know about his attitude toward changing but he seems to have the frame to move to LBer. I don't know if he has the speed we would like at Safety but the guys is a very big guy.

I don't know that I like the comparison to Jake Williams. I think we saw Jake do things Gilbert probably wouldn't be asked to do like the back shoulder fade. I don't know if he could pull that off as well but I think he could eventually get to the point where CBs can't handle him on bumps. He looks like to me like he could be a handful on slants and in situations where strength is key.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That's a very good question. I would say we will take Nealy no matter when or who commits. Then I think, depending on how everything else looks, we could take 2 more. Now, please realize that a guy like Gilbert could move somewhere else. I don't know about his attitude toward changing but he seems to have the frame to move to LBer. I don't know if he has the speed we would like at Safety but the guys is a very big guy.

I don't know that I like the comparison to Jake Williams. I think we saw Jake do things Gilbert probably wouldn't be asked to do like the back shoulder fade. I don't know if he could pull that off as well but I think he could eventually get to the point where CBs can't handle him on bumps. He looks like to me like he could be a handful on slants and in situations where strength is key.

You said it better than I did... :wink:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Our WR scouts must stink? We've brought in a ton of WR recruits over the last few years, but none of them seem to be any good, so we keep on bringing in more.

How about a DT or DE? If we would have brought in as many D-linemen as WR's in the last couple years, we'd have a really good D-line I'd bet? Oh well... let's just have 20 WR's on scholarship... I'm sure one of them will be good, right?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Our WR scouts must stink? We've brought in a ton of WR recruits over the last few years, but none of them seem to be any good, so we keep on bringing in more.

How about a DT or DE? If we would have brought in as many D-linemen as WR's in the last couple years, we'd have a really good D-line I'd bet? Oh well... let's just have 20 WR's on scholarship... I'm sure one of them will be good, right?

Think about this though. We lost Jake. We think Sed is gone. We will then lose Darks and Money. Lenz will be a Junior. That's 5 guys to replace. Obviously we hope that West, Blanton, Gary and Co. can help replenish that but when we play in a lot of 3 and 4 wide sets, we need some receivers.

I don't how many times people have to say this regarding the DL-It is very hard to recruit and there are few guys who are going to immediately come in and contribute right away. It is very likely there are guys on the roster who, in the next two years will pop up and be playing and we aren't even mentioning them now. There is absolutely no point in bringing in a guy who we don't believe will ever turn out. Remember, it's not the guys you don't get. It's the guys you get and don't turn out who hurt you. Besides all of that, how do you know we aren't recruiting any Dlinemen?

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
I'm hoping that we can get Isaac Ales (Muscatine) to come on-board as a preferred walk-on.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
How about a DT or DE?
Well, the thread is simply about a WR recruit. Besides...

Besides all of that, how do you know we aren't recruiting any Dlinemen?
What he said. Just because the DL recruiting is flying underneath the radar, doesn't mean that they aren't recruiting someone.

If we would have brought in as many D-linemen as WR's in the last couple years, we'd have a really good D-line I'd bet? Oh well... let's just have 20 WR's on scholarship... I'm sure one of them will be good, right?
Following the 2012 season, even if Sed doesn't leave now, we'll lose three wideouts, with at least two more seniors-to-be. Five wideout sets use a lot of wide receivers.

Comparatively, at the same time the DL (Defensive Linemen) will lose Ruemp, Neal and Lattimer, with McDonough, Laing, Nelson and Maggitt seniors-to-be.

Both positions are positions of need. However, this is a very thin year for defensive linemen. Most of the quality recruits in our reach are spoken for--including one that we have spoken for.Make hay while the sun shines--so if there are decent wideouts available now (but no more DL), sign another one or two. Then go hard after the DL next season--and star quality at WR.

Or, would you rather that they signed a DL just to sign a DL--who will sit on the roster for four years, and never play?

im4isu

Apr 11, 2007
New Haven
I'm hoping that we can get Isaac Ales (Muscatine) to come on-board as a preferred walk-on.

Don't hold your breath on that one. Both Kid and all of his family are HUGE hawk fans. Kids dream is to play for Iowa. He'll take a scholarship if offered by ISU (or likely smaller FCS schools) but if he walks on to a team it will be the one in Iowa City.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron