CF's Future: You decide, the site stays or goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
Jeremy,
My read is that your're getting beat on by the other blog sites because you are obviously where the growth is happening. I own a business and when you're moving up, the other guys will say or do anything to put you down. If you stay focused and take it for what it is, you will continue to grow. You have a great opportunity with your site for the future. Don't let your competitors get to you by posting crap. If you don't like what they say, delete them and let them go into cyber oblivion. You are on a roll. Actually, all the bashing is the best compliment you can get. Take it as that and let it roll off you. You're in charge of the site...the other guys are worried. Keep up the good work!

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
Stays!

I think the squawks have found this site. Like the trailer trash that they are they will slowly destroy the place.

My suggestion is to wield the BanHammer with force!!

Or, maybe you could put new members on a probationary period. If they get negative feedback from the community in the first 90 days they are automagically banned. Then give them a chance to appeal their ban to you...

CyAg

May 22, 2006
I understand the frustration, and just read all the posts. A few thoughts
-Sad if someone cannot disagree in a reasonable manner presenting their opinions and then reasons/facts why.
-Sad if those who disagree cannot respond expect to have their reponsees treated with respect or realize there is disagreement.
-If a controversial item is posted it is only expected there will be differing discussing points and comments. Goes with the territory.
-Have to be carefully with banning. Banning someone for bad language, personal attacks is one thing and should be done.
-Banning those who post a note questioning topics, posts, or raising points of disagreement is not very professional either. If you want a group think site where everyone is in group think agreement, go ahead, but then you do not have a discussion site.
-All of this comes with the territory.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Keep on truckin'.

Don't listen to the CR transplants...they just want to stir the pot. Many of them don't want to discuss Cyclone Athletics...they need a free board to make themself feel better.

JordanHXC

Apr 1, 2006
Omaha
jeremy, you could charge a yearly fee...something small like 5-10 bucks that most of us would be willing to pay for the priviledge of reading this site. this small fee could keep out the few people causing problems..

northernclone

Apr 11, 2006
Minnesota
Nice job

I came to this site because it had less things you refer to in your email. So, I applaud you for putting your foot down and standing up for the values and standards that you had when you created the board. My advise to you... don't give up on that. While it may be difficult with a board that is open to anyone... heck... it may be impossible, but I'm with you. If it degregates to the level that you are refering to... you might as well close it (all together or just to your initial members). People like me will evenually move on anyway (if it gets that way). Hope it does not come to that, because this sight really feeds my passion for ISU sports information.

People need to just take a deep breath, calm down, and enjoy the information (right or wrong)... because most information on internet sites are conjecture and opinion anyway. I figure when someone seems to have accurate inside info it's a bonus (I'm not sure of your connections, but you sure seem to have good information)

Nice job! Keep up the good work. My selfish vote is to keep 'er running! :yes4lo:

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
...cold sweats...rats gnawing at my toes...blurry vision... NO! NO! Don't take my cyclonefanatic away!! I can't live without it!
But seriously, Jeremy, you do great work. I realize it can be frustrating when a few morons mock, pick on or try to destroy your "baby." Especially when you're pouring your heart, soul & wallet into it. Please stick with it. You really do an excellent job with this.
Like others have suggested, I'd implement a warning/ban system and eject any troublemakers. And if that doesn't work, go with the minimal annual fee...
CycloneFanatic Forever!!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Great site. Definitely enjoy it. Appreciate getting the breaking news. And I don't condemn when it is wrong.

How can people b*tch about something that they don't pay for?

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If you take away our freedom of speech how we know who the jack@sses are? Just Kidding.

Keep up the the great work, Jeremy. We really appreciate the site!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I wish everyone would understand that you don't work for the University...you work to try to get inside scoops.

You can't be right everytime. I know I eat up all of the updates you have. I don't care if they are 100% correct because I understand they aren't a press release for the school.

If you want concrete information everytime, then replace cyclonefanatic with cyclones.com...they will never get a story wrong!

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This site has a lot of value for those of us that are no longer in Iowa and have to rely on websites like this one to get our Cyclone "fix". I appreciate the time and effort you and the Moderators put into this site to make is as wildly popular as it is.

Don't let the nay-sayers get you down. Any public forum is going to have its detractors and rabid, boisterous juveniles who tarnish the focus of the matter at hand.

To quote from Dr. Perry Cox of Scrubs:
"People are bastard covered bastards with bastard filing"

cyflyer

Apr 11, 2006
Waukee
Jeremy I think you need to ask yourself this question and the answer should be how you format that forums. I know this isn't a popular explaination, but when CR went private for all forums it was because of the horror that sometimes comes from moderating forums. I can understand the 'CR' blame to some extent, I'm not blind and beleive that some are here specifically for ill reasons, but it shouldn't be used as a defense for any and all criticism/disagreement to what is posted on this site by you or anyone. Frankly, if you are going to throw yourself out there with information it's going to have to come with the territory. I doubt little of the disagreements posted are actually personal in nature.

What I will say about this site this and the people it's directed at know who they are. With all the ******** about CR or CN and the elite nature of subscribers this site equally has it's cliche like qualities that are become ever more tiresome.

CYTIME

Apr 3, 2006
This site is the best hands down! You do great work and I appreciate the effort. I equate the outlandish and critical posts to the callers on Sound Off on Sunday night. They have just enough courage to call, then quickly flame out because they haven't thought out what they'd like to say. But, in that few seconds where they are able to blurt out some sewage, the say something moronic, then end it with "Go Hawks."

Another problem I've often felt with e-mails or posts, is that you can't tell the intended tone (not always). Let's face it, the guy who just got done kicking his dog, then sits down to type, may actually think his words are insightful and gingerly put.

Example:

He writes: "I think all you ******** should take a ***** and *****."

In his mind, he writes: "Fellow fans, you should re-consider your stance on that position because the repurcussions are immense and could provide an outcome which would sully our reputation."

In other words, please don't take a few rants to heart. And for all of you who post, please try to do so respectfully.

P.S. For those trying to figure out the ***** words above...don't. They were added for **** emphasis.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
PLEASE keep the site up, Jeremy! You and the moderators are doing a great service to the rest of us. Perhaps you need to be more aggressive with the threat of bannination.

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
Jeremy,
This is easily the best site for all things relating to Cyclone athletics. It is an absolute shame you have other people from other sites trying to rain on your parade. But like one poster noted, when you have success, others are jealous, and will try to drag you down to their level. There is no doubt other sites are envious of what you have put together in a very short time.

My advice? Stick to what you are passionate about. If Cyclone athletics are your passion (which there is not a doubt in my mind it consumes you!), fight through the naysayers. Rise above them, and prove them wrong, do not let them get to you, or slow down your progress. When you have something special, there is no way you can make everyone happy. Someone will ALWAYS find something to complain about, even though its a free forum. Do not let a few idiots get in the way of what you are trying to accomplish. Your mission? It seems like you are trying to have THE most successful free forum about Cyclone athletics. And because of your mission, myself and many other members are eternally greatful, and enjoy logging in to this site every day. Rise above the naysayers Jeremy, keep your passion and your dream alive!

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I would agree with the nominal fee. Keeps people from creating new accounts just to bash and say something to create tension as each time they would have to spend a little money. Something like $10 to $20 per year would be real easy for the majority of people that value this site and yet might be effective in keeping out people who are not serious about adding value or being interested bystanders.

I know this was never intended to be a pay site, but it may be necessary to keep things civil. Maybe running a poll on who would pay a small fee would be valuable?

Thanks... great site.

Status
Not open for further replies.