CHALLENGE MET: Lanning running with No. 1s at LB

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Can't believe so many are fussing about this.

Tymar Sutton was a QB in high school and played some LB and people would have been thrilled had he played as a True FR last year.

Now we have a 5th year senior, who has studied 3-4 play books and been in the strength program for years, has enough athleticism for a 45 yard TD run against OU(!!), yet people are pessimistic about it.

If Brian Mills were still around, he would be the #1 MLB right now, but he's not. So literally the depth chart is Joel, Tymar, and walk-on's.

WLB has Harvey, Northrup and Spreen
SLB has McMillen and Spears

Then we will have two pretty darn good prospects coming this summer.

Great idea by the staff to utilize a top athlete.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I haven't followed this too closely to this point, but I find the Lanning-to-LB intriguing in concept. I like keeping experienced contributors involved even if it involves position-switches --- It seems uncommon for a QB to go to LB, let alone D, but I'm no expert on that.

Also hoping this speaks to confidence Campbell has in the QB rotation without JL as a primary backup option.

Its pretty rare but I remember it happening at ISU under Danny Mac, IIRC there was a juco qb (can't recall his name)recruit who had a ton of athleticism and size that lost the job to Sage Rosenfels, after losing the job, he switched to defense and ended up playing a lot on a pretty good defense.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Lanning is a tough, athletic, experienced 5th year college football player . Makes sense to me that he would be given every chance to win the Mike job for this year. Lots of reps and lots of repetition can happen between now and the first game especially if he is practicing with the 1s.

Maybe someone else beats him out before fall, but why not give him first shot at winning the job. Lanning has the potential to be a stud this fall if he picks this up quickly. By all accounts, he will work his butt off to be the best he can be by fall.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Joel Lanning will be an all conference type linebacker. Those who doubt him, and its understandable given the circumstances, will be stunned by just how good he is in this new role. Kid has NFL potential.

• Funny
Reactions: CyFy and preacherH

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron