Charles City looking to form new conference after racial issues

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
They play a full conference schedule in every sport other than football.

Crestwood plays Decorah in football (non district) every year (it's a massive rivalry) and it seems like they play WSR most years too.
Yeah, I was kind of surprised that Waukon and Oelwein dropped to 2A but Cresco had hung in there in 3A (I hail from Decorah originally). Even at 3A, the graduating classes in Decorah are still 20-25% smaller than when I graduated from there.

Waverly's population is benefitting from a spillover from the Wateloo - CF area, The demographics are really slamming the more N.E towns and schools it seems.

(PS I saw the Vikes pulled out a late W vs. the Cadets last week :) )

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would say some NCC schools would make the most sense to combine with some of those schools. Take clear lake and NCC can take eagle grove back. The top of Iowa won’t care. I don’t think forest city would leave. Travel would explode.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Oelwein is already out and headed to the NICL next year. The NEIC is down to 6 so they were going to have to do something anyway.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, I was kind of surprised that Waukon and Oelwein dropped to 2A but Cresco had hung in there in 3A (I hail from Decorah originally). Even at 3A, the graduating classes in Decorah are still 20-25% smaller than when I graduated from there.

Waverly's population is benefitting from a spillover from the Wateloo - CF area, The demographics are really slamming the more N.E towns and schools it seems.

(PS I saw the Vikes pulled out a late W vs. the Cadets last week :) )

The communities in NE IA seem pretty healthy compared to other parts of the state and especially the country, but people are having smaller families, and you’re just starting to see an increase in younger people coming back to small towns. Will be interesting to see if COVID pushes a new trend in either direction.

Places like Waukon and Cresco offer low COL and access to amenities that outkick their coverage due to their location in the Driftless Area, and proximity to Luther/Decorah.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The communities in NE IA seem pretty healthy compared to other parts of the state and especially the country, but people are having smaller families, and you’re just starting to see an increase in younger people coming back to small towns. Will be interesting to see if COVID pushes a new trend in either direction.

Places like Waukon and Cresco offer low COL and access to amenities that outkick their coverage due to their location in the Driftless Area, and proximity to Luther/Decorah.

The amount of new development I see popping up around the WI DA makes me a little queasy.

I also wonder if more of the rural small towns in general see an uptick in new people moving in/increase in size.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I happened to be looking at the Iowa BEDS document for 20-21 yesterday so I thought I'd attach it to aid you guys in your 2A/3A discussions.

For those that don't know, the BEDS number is the total number of students in grades 9-11. Different sports break up the schools into classes differently.

Side note: Waukee surpassed Valley as the largest district (only until Waukee finishes their new school).

• Informative
Reactions: simply1

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The amount of new development I see popping up around the WI DA makes me a little queasy.

I also wonder if more of the rural small towns in general see an uptick in new people moving in/increase in size.

I see vacation homes and cabins coming up a lot. I could also get 45% more for my house than I paid for it in ‘12.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I happened to be looking at the Iowa BEDS document for 20-21 yesterday so I thought I'd attach it to aid you guys in your 2A/3A discussions.

For those that don't know, the BEDS number is the total number of students in grades 9-11. Different sports break up the schools into classes differently.

Side note: Waukee surpassed Valley as the largest district (only until Waukee finishes their new school).

can anyone map these? i'm a nerd but it would be fun to try and create out own conference map

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Did WSR not take action or something?

Good for the other schools if WSR just swept it under the rug.

I can think of a few folks I know from there that probably (ironically) are fuming right now but they were also likely very much ok with this behavior.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I’ve seen two possibilities for Waverly-Shell Rock … join the MVC (which is losing Waterloo East next year), or go with the new Iowa Alliance that includes Waterloo East, Ames, Marshalltown, Mason City, Ottumwa, and the Des Moines city schools.

Neither one is ideal travel-wise, but WSR would give either of those conferences an even number of members.

Who knows what the NEIC will do, now having just five members.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’ve seen two possibilities for Waverly-Shell Rock … join the MVC (which is losing Waterloo East next year), or go with the new Iowa Alliance that includes Waterloo East, Ames, Marshalltown, Mason City, Ottumwa, and the Des Moines city schools.

Neither one is ideal travel-wise, but WSR would give either of those conferences an even number of members.

Who knows what the NEIC will do, now having just five members.
NEIC is coming after Osage I know. Top of Iowa (which was a mess to start with) has had a couple schools approached about leaving. Had a couple smaller schools look to leave, one try to form their own by pillaging a few other schools. The NEIC vote is like The mention of Mizzou wanting to join the big ten, the HS conferences in north Iowa look to be changing soon.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
NEIC is coming after Osage I know. Top of Iowa (which was a mess to start with) has had a couple schools approached about leaving. Had a couple smaller schools look to leave, one try to form their own by pillaging a few other schools. The NEIC vote is like The mention of Mizzou wanting to join the big ten, the HS conferences in north Iowa look to be changing soon.
Where’s Osage compare size wise anymore to those other schools in the NEIC?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

The farther NE you go, the prettier it gets too. Bluffs and terrain as you get closer to wisky.

WFH could really help small towns a lot. Take bedroom communities like Norwalk or North Liberty. Theyve grown maybe 20k people in 10 years, thats like TEN 2A towns worth. And even 50 people with decent WFH jobs would have a noticeable impact to the economy of a 1A or 2A size town. It will be interesting to see to what extent it happens.

Reactions: mfl3cy and wxman1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Where’s Osage compare size wise anymore to those other schools in the NEIC?
Little small. Football they are 1A last I knew. Wrestling they have been the smallest 2A school for awhile. Girls sports they are 2A. Unsure with boys since the classes are different.

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Little small. Football they are 1A last I knew. Wrestling they have been the smallest 2A school for awhile. Girls sports they are 2A. Unsure with boys since the classes are different.
I thought they might be a little small. Been awhile since I’ve been in that neck of the woods. Feels like they would be competitive though despite that.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
They played 2A football in 2021 and were decent and already play New Hampton, Crestwood, etc.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They played 2A football in 2021 and were decent and already play New Hampton, Crestwood, etc.
They must be near the border of 1A/2A then. My old HS which bounces between 1A/A was in the same division as them a few times. Osage was a marginal team then but it has been a couple years since I paid attention to them.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I thought they might be a little small. Been awhile since I’ve been in that neck of the woods. Feels like they would be competitive though despite that.
Looking at BEDS they are 226 for this upcoming year. The next closest is Nee Hampton at 272. Largest is Decorah at 430.

I think the NCC has also been talking to a couple of the larger schools in the TOI, which would be Forest City, Garner and Osage. Forest City said they aren’t going anywhere but things can change. I know Osage was the main driver for the TOI conference and now they may be bailing on it, will they be happy wherever they go if they get their way and still a can’t be happy?