Charles City looking to form new conference after racial issues

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Looking at BEDS they are 226 for this upcoming year. The next closest is Nee Hampton at 272. Largest is Decorah at 430.

I think the NCC has also been talking to a couple of the larger schools in the TOI, which would be Forest City, Garner and Osage. Forest City said they aren’t going anywhere but things can change. I know Osage was the main driver for the TOI conference and now they may be bailing on it, will they be happy wherever they go if they get their way and still a can’t be happy?
Back in the day, Osage folks always seemed like entitled arrogant babies, as a whole. Kind of like hawk fans actually.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Do wonder who will want WSR. Being in southern Iowa, we only run across them at statewide things, usually academic competitions. I think one of my kids played them at state tennis in doubles.

They were always unpleasant at things like math contests or quiz bowls, but nothing that seemed racially motivated. Just challenging forms of answers and such when they were losing. Some academic competitions like Science Bowl are not broken down into class sizes. Others may break things into a large school and small school grouping in which WSR always seemed way bigger than the rest of the small schools.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Do wonder who will want WSR. Being in southern Iowa, we only run across them at statewide things, usually academic competitions. I think one of my kids played them at state tennis in doubles.

They were always unpleasant at things like math contests or quiz bowls, but nothing that seemed racially motivated. Just challenging forms of answers and such when they were losing. Some academic competitions like Science Bowl are not broken down into class sizes. Others may break things into a large school and small school grouping in which WSR always seemed way bigger than the rest of the small schools.
I would guess trying to group with the Waterloo schools would be best. They would be huge for the NCC and small for most others. Waterloo typically has some decent and some weaker school so they should fit and travel would be reduced.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I would guess trying to group with the Waterloo schools would be best. They would be huge for the NCC and small for most others. Waterloo typically has some decent and some weaker school so they should fit and travel would be reduced.
Waterloo East is joining Ames and the others that left the CIML. West I think is pretty set in their league, and Columbus is with some pretty small schools like Aplington Parkersburg which seem like that would be too small.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Waterloo East is joining Ames and the others that left the CIML. West I think is pretty set in their league, and Columbus is with some pretty small schools like Aplington Parkersburg which seem like that would be too small.
West is way too big to be any where other than where they are.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
WSR is right at 600 for BEDS. Would fit well with Mason city, fort dodge size schools. Maybe they can get into those still?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
West is way too big to be any where other than where they are.
I think they may have considered moving with East but they seem to be in the right conference. Travel isn’t great for the Waterloo schools no matter what.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
WSR is right at 600 for BEDS. Would fit well with Mason city, fort dodge size schools. Maybe they can get into those still?
Who is in this “new” conference that broke away from the CIML? What is it called?

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I don't see how WSR won't end up in the Miss Valley to replace waterloo east.
The miss valley will require some sort of training, etc before joining the league and that will be that. The good thing is WSR will have a much, much, much harder time winning conference titles which may shut their fan base up a bit. on the other hand it will make them tough in the 3A tournament. we deal with cedar rapids xavier in that league all the time and they are much more battle tested than other 3a schools.

this would be like DCG joining the CIML. the only difference is DCG is growing out much faster.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Who is in this “new” conference that broke away from the CIML? What is it called?
Iowa Alliance. Two divisions:

Ames
Ft Dodge
Waterloo East
Marshalltown
Mason City

East
Velt
Lincoln
Hoover
North
Ottumwa

Could use another Northern team to even it out, but given the reason for WSR being booted that sure doesn’t seem like a good cultural fit.

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm not seeing other schools welcoming WSR into their conference. Subjecting your students to racist wouldn't be a wise move.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
The farther NE you go, the prettier it gets too. Bluffs and terrain as you get closer to wisky.

WFH could really help small towns a lot. Take bedroom communities like Norwalk or North Liberty. Theyve grown maybe 20k people in 10 years, thats like TEN 2A towns worth. And even 50 people with decent WFH jobs would have a noticeable impact to the economy of a 1A or 2A size town. It will be interesting to see to what extent it happens.

A bit off topic, but it’s crazy how North Liberty has exploded.

Here‘s an aerial photo from the 1980s:

213E05E4-734B-4308-B608-20428EAC876A.jpeg

And here‘s 2004:

93B2D3B9-B771-4249-8D2D-4D78825BA0C8.jpeg

And now 2021:

2CE9DE86-CF78-438D-86C8-CDCA33256BAF.jpeg

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Could use another Northern team to even it out, but given the reason for WSR being booted that sure doesn’t seem like a good cultural fit.
Yeah, it looks like all the superintendents are saying it's just a numbers issue (and that very well could be the case). That being said, the racist incidents don't help because that is going to be brought up if they are brought into a conference.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Being a racist high schooler directly correlates to having racist parents (not an absolute but I would bet it's at least 90% correlated). My question is how does a town in NE Iowa become so racist?

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The big incident happened what, 3 years ago? Why wait until now to boot? If it is due to them being too big, and they are talking to Osage, Decorah is showing their hypocrisy by wanting a school they are twice the size of.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Who's left: Decorah (430), Charles City (399), Crestwood (305), Waukon (286), New Hampton (272).

Potential targets, per CR Gazette: Oelwein (266), North Fayette Valley (249), Osage (226), Sumner-Fredericksburg (202).

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Looking at BEDS they are 226 for this upcoming year. The next closest is Nee Hampton at 272. Largest is Decorah at 430.

I think the NCC has also been talking to a couple of the larger schools in the TOI, which would be Forest City, Garner and Osage. Forest City said they aren’t going anywhere but things can change. I know Osage was the main driver for the TOI conference and now they may be bailing on it, will they be happy wherever they go if they get their way and still a can’t be happy?
Denver, North Fayette, Oelwein, Mason City also in the mix.

Reactions: DurangoCy