Chattanooga Shooting

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Re: Chttaooga Shooting

terrible tragedy. Hopefully gunman acted alone, and if not, hopefully we get everyone responsible.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest

The press conference called it "domestic terrorism" Why so quick to name it that? I would add more, but needs to be in the cave for that.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

The press conference called it "domestic terrorism" Why so quick to name it that? I would add more, but needs to be in the cave for that.

Oh, I'm sure it's headed there. Just a matter of time.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Since every reply in this thread (other'n this one) has been from a mod...for god's sake can one of you fix chttaooga?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

ter·ror·ism
noun

• the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Granted, you have to make some assumptions about intent (reasonable ones, imo, given that it's a military recruiting center) but how is it a stretch to say this was terrorism?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Always the wise one on these kind of things...

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-06-30/tallying-right-wing-terror-vs-jihad

I'm glad the media keeps its focus on the things that are actually dangerous to me and my family. You know, try to raise awareness and make things better regarding the factors that actually pose a threat to human life.

:jimlad:

Motor vehicle-related fatalities in USA (2014) = 32,719 (about 90 per day)
Suicides in the United States (2014) = 41,149
Of those, how many committed through a firearm = 21,175
Gun-related homicides in the United States (2014) = 11,208

65% of the people die from a gun do it from their own hand

If suicide is an impulse decision, and it is, just having a gun around is a danger in itself... if you actually have to leave your front door to do it, you're much less likely to go through with it

Never mind these things...

• Heart disease: 611,105
  • Cancer: 584,881
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 149,205
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,978
  • Alzheimer's disease: 84,767
  • Diabetes: 75,578
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,979
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 47,112

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Not really blaming the media here. More people for demanding a debate/coverage of freak, hit-by-lightning events rather than the quixotic, day-to-day realities of guns (and the dangers they might pose) relative to the things that are actually dangers to us (cardiovascular disease, respiratory illnesses, cancer, car accidents, suicide--via firearms, etc.).

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Since every reply in this thread (other'n this one) has been from a mod...for god's sake can one of you fix chttaooga?

done.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Muslim. Safe to say radical. Time to get someone with balls in the WH to take out these jokers overseas or we will see more and more and more of this stuff.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest

ter·ror·ism
noun

• the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Granted, you have to make some assumptions about intent (reasonable ones, imo, given that it's a military recruiting center) but how is it a stretch to say this was terrorism?

I agree with you on terrorism. Was questioning more the word "domestic" versus outside the country influences. (not to name any)

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I agree with you on terrorism. Was questioning more the word "domestic" versus outside the country influences. (not to name any)

If the shooter was a US citizen or permanent resident, it meets the definition of domestic. We don't know if that's the case or not, yet, but it's possible that the people investigating the incident do, and that's why they labeled it as domestic. Regardless, it's just a semantics argument at this point.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest

If the shooter was a US citizen or permanent resident, it meets the definition of domestic. We don't know if that's the case or not, yet, but it's possible that the people investigating the incident do, and that's why they labeled it as domestic. Regardless, it's just a semantics argument at this point.

If inspired by an outside a United States group or country, then IMO, changes it from domestic to International terrorism. Will have to wait and see.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Muslim. Safe to say radical. Time to get someone with balls in the WH to take out these jokers overseas or we will see more and more and more of this stuff.

...............so what did you want done when that ******* killed twice as many people in a church last month?
...............or the guy who killed three times as many in Aurora whose verdict is being read today?

did you also think wiping out their entire country/religion would solve the problem?

just curious.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron