Check out this AMAZING Cyclone "tornado" logo concept

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
As a way to sort of put an exclamation point on this discussion, I mocked up what should be our permanent helmets using amestoplease's "tornado" concept that tick off a whole variety of boxes while being traditional, modern, and historical all at the same time:

• Separates our brand from USC by using yellow helmets primarily.
  • Honors our 120 year old nickname of Cyclones.
  • Introduces a bit of white onto the helmet that can be mimicked on the uniform stripes too (a la '70s throwbacks).
  • For the purposes of a helmet, the logo used is far more iconic than the current I-STATE. (The I-STATE logo could be on the pants or jersey somewhere.
  • Deeper gold color to honor Jack Trice's gold jersey he wore in his only "real game" for ISU.
  • Tornado logo could be either the solid color version or the shaded version seen here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• New-twister-helmet.jpg
    New-twister-helmet.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 926

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
As a way to sort of put an exclamation point on this discussion, I mocked up what should be our permanent helmets using amestoplease's "tornado" concept that tick off a whole variety of boxes while being traditional, modern, and historical all at the same time:

• Introduces a bit of white onto the helmet that can be mimicked on the uniform stripes too (a la '70s throwbacks).
  • For the purposes of a helmet, the logo used is far more iconic than the current I-STATE. (The I-STATE logo could be on the pants or jersey somewhere.
  • Deeper gold color to honor Jack Trice's gold jersey he wore in his only "real game" for ISU.
  • Tornado logo could be either the solid color version or the shaded version seen here.

attachment.php

well done, kagavi! great blend of old school/historical significance and modern simplicity/cleanliness. it would also seemingly withstand the test of time after the metallic phase burns out. could you add some 'snarl' to it though? maybe wrap the tornado in razor wire or add a couple cows and tractors being swept up around it?

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

attachment.php

That. Looks. Awesome.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
For you, Cy, it will be... ... hmmm, this is a tough one....

SLYTHERIN!!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• cyslytherin.png
    cyslytherin.png
    231 KB · Views: 346

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I think the existing marking package is fine. Apparently the AD does as well. Unless they are working behind the scenes on something new that we don't know about. I don't know. Maybe you do.

Assuming for now that the AD thinks the existing package is fine, if you want something different or added to the package, you are going to have to show why this something new is needed, and justify it financially. That's the way business works.

You seem to be working under the assumption that ISU needs additional marks. That's fine, but if the AD doesn't hold that position, you can design new marks until you drop dead...it won't matter until you can convince the AD that new marks are needed.

What other schools do is irrelevant. The AD's marketing people need to figure out what will work for ISU, and that may or may not be the same as what other schools do.

The existing package is NOT fine. The I-STATE primary mark is great. Every current mark with Cy on it is ****. I refuse to wear it because it looks like ****. Our secondary logos look like ****.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
The existing package is NOT fine. The I-STATE primary mark is great. Every current mark with Cy on it is ****. I refuse to wear it because it looks like ****. Our secondary logos look like ****.

This is exactly how I feel. I love the I-State logo and it should never go away. But the current secondary marks are pure ****. I refuse to buy anything with Bucky Cy or Cy in a wreath on it. Walking Cy and some some form of tornado should be ISU's secondary logos. Like I said in the uniform thread Cyclones is such a unique nickname but the AD appears it doesn't have any interest in having Cyclones be an integral part of the brand.

Gene Smith and Jamie Pollard have both taken shots at rebranding Iowa State athletics. Both had success and I think the I State logo is a great one built for the long haul. However I have hated how Pollard's tenure appears intent on erasing the past and all logos tied with the past. I wish the fans could have more feedback on the secondary logos mainly because the current ones are garbage but also because AD's come and go but it's the fans that never leave and regardless of success there are great memories tied to some of the abandoned secondary logos (i.e Walking Cy).

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
When was the last time that Iowa State created something that made other schools stand up and take notice?

When was the last time any college program changed a logo that made other schools stand up and take notice? I don't recall ever being wow'ed by another's schools logo change or addition. But I recall plenty of times where people make fun of a change.

That said, I don't see why tornado logo couldn't be added to ISU apparel. It certainly wouldn't hurt ISU's brand.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I haven't done the math, but we havne't lost a game in nearly 20 years while wearing yellow or gold helmets, have we?

Seriously, nothing else is working for football wins :twitcy: :jimlad:

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale

attachment.php

Absolutely freaking amazing. Who do I need to email?!?

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
That helmet is absolutely fantastic.

Sadly I just don't see the athletic department going away from I State on the helmet, at least with the current coaching staff.

Our best hope might be the same Kagavi helmet, but with a large stenciled I State logo on there. Which would still look pretty damn awesome.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
That helmet is absolutely fantastic.

Sadly I just don't see the athletic department going away from I State on the helmet, at least with the current coaching staff.

Our best hope might be the same Kagavi helmet, but with a large stenciled I State logo on there. Which would still look pretty damn awesome.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET US HAVE BOTH!!!

Everybody else is playing around with uniform concepts- why the hell can't we?????

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

attachment.php

This is absolutely perfect.

I think it's important for the naysayers to understand that we can keep the I-STATE. But really, given the choice what are you the ISU fan going to chose on merchandise? I know I'd choose the tornado.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Absolutely freaking amazing. Who do I need to email?!?

Someone that JP actually li$ten$ to.

Ya know- if we have to watch a crappy football team, can we at least make them look good? I know we just bowled in the endzone, but that newness will wear off pretty quickly if the game results don't improve.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
some were wanting a higher res image of these. these should be better.

attachment.php

Attachments

• isu_concept_colors.jpg
    isu_concept_colors.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,012

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Bump again.

^excellent work, amestoplease.^

I would love to see how the whole uniform looks using this logo. I really love the idea of gold/yellow helmets on cardinal jerseys with cardinal pants. Quite different from USC.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I would love an updated/modern tornado logo. But not that one. Looks more like a lilly than a tornado. A tornado should look menacing; not "curvy".

PS edit- the CF logo is much more menacing and along the lines of what I'd prefer. But not sure why we'd want to incorporate "C" and "F" into the school logo.
You know what they say "tornados are like women". And I like mine curvy not menacing.