Child marriage ban defeated in WV

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The jokes just write themselves!

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – A bill that would have prohibited minors from getting married in West Virginia was defeated Wednesday night in a legislative committee. The Republican-dominated Senate Judiciary Committee rejected the bill on a 9-8 vote, a week after it passed the House of Delegates. Currently, children can marry as young as 16 in West Virginia with parental consent. Anyone younger than that also must get a judge’s waiver. The bill would have established that 18 is the age of consent and removed the ability of a minor to obtain consent through their parents, legal guardians or by court petition.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – A bill that would have prohibited minors from getting married in West Virginia was defeated Wednesday night in a legislative committee. The Republican-dominated Senate Judiciary Committee rejected the bill on a 9-8 vote, a week after it passed the House of Delegates. Currently, children can marry as young as 16 in West Virginia with parental consent. Anyone younger than that also must get a judge’s waiver. The bill would have established that 18 is the age of consent and removed the ability of a minor to obtain consent through their parents, legal guardians or by court petition.

This is common in a lot of states.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Literally just read that while in Charleston wv. People r definitely different out here

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Did they outlaw marrying your cousin?

After a quick google search, West Virginia and Iowa have pretty much the same laws on marrying cousins.

But if you really want to marry a cousin, and not just have a cousin with benefits, the rest of the east coast or California would probably be the place to go.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
After a quick google search, West Virginia and Iowa have pretty much the same laws on marrying cousins.

But if you really want to marry a cousin, and not just have a cousin with benefits, the rest of the east coast or California would probably be the place to go.
Cousin with benefits is a term I never thought I'd read.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Outside of it being disgustingly pervy….. imagine marrying a sixteen year old. I guess if you’re eighteen it’s probably less of a stretch but some creep in their 20’s plus…..why on earth. What do you have in common? I’m in my forties and even knowing some mid to late 20 somethings at work they seem lightyears away in maturity and life experience.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Outside of it being disgustingly pervy….. imagine marrying a sixteen year old. I guess if you’re eighteen it’s probably less of a stretch but some creep in their 20’s plus…..why on earth. What do you have in common? I’m in my forties and even knowing some mid to late 20 somethings at work they seem lightyears away in maturity and life experience.
Are you saying you don't know why 40 year old plus men marry 20 something women?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Even 20s to 30s can be a big jump in how you operate.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Are you saying you don't know why 40 year old plus men marry 20 something women?
Oh I know why. But I’m talking outside of that. Don’t get me wrong, there are some very mature 20 something’s. But generally it’s just a big gap in the road of life.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
In Iowa, we have a culture that makes the law much less necessary. In West Virginia, this law represents the culture!

See, the jokes just write themselves.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Anybody have the pic of the Iowa State fan with a poster that said something like, "If a West Virginia couple gets a divorce, are they still cousins?" Seems like it ought to be posted in this thread!