Child marriage ban defeated in WV

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Outside of it being disgustingly pervy….. imagine marrying a sixteen year old. I guess if you’re eighteen it’s probably less of a stretch but some creep in their 20’s plus…..why on earth. What do you have in common? I’m in my forties and even knowing some mid to late 20 somethings at work they seem lightyears away in maturity and life experience.

And that's primarily what these laws protect. Older men marrying teen girls.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Outside of it being disgustingly pervy….. imagine marrying a sixteen year old. I guess if you’re eighteen it’s probably less of a stretch but some creep in their 20’s plus…..why on earth. What do you have in common? I’m in my forties and even knowing some mid to late 20 somethings at work they seem lightyears away in maturity and life experience.

Personal opinion here. It really should be like 25 but no way it should be under 18.

4F47A1AC-4EAB-4D52-85BF-4F45B17073BA.jpeg

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wonder if its because many of the early marriages are due to pregnancy. I struggle knowing what I want the rest of my life to be like and I'm over 2x that age.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
With the added feature of legally knocking them up before they can finish high school or attend college.

Straight from authority of their parents to authority of their spouse. And I get that many of us here do not feel that we operate under the "authority" of our spouse but when you are 16 and married to a 38 yr old man, he controls your existence. Which was why he wanted her and not someone his own age.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Wonder how many get the divorce after kids are in the mix

Many. Well, at least those who figured out it's an option. It comes up regularly enough in parenting subs. The woman wonders what she's doing wrong that she can't manage 3 kids, a household, often a job and husband who is never happy with her work. Says that he makes most of the money and therefore doesn't have to "help" with house or kids. Often some level of financial control and abuse, if not other kinds. She's 25 with high school diploma and he's 43. Depending on how much support and access to the world she has, she may get out. It's often kids as the trigger though because as you well know, they create a lot of extra work and it fairly drowns the woman making her question why she can't manage it.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Don’t tell my wife. We got married in our early-mid twenties. She might ideas. :D

So did I. It's worked out well but I totally see where it goes sideways. I'm very different now than I was at 23. Luckily grew in a direction parallel to my spouse but I can absolutely see how that would often not be the case.

• Friendly
Reactions: jcyclonee and bos