Christy's post-game presser

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I dont think either is happening soon, but i dont see why wrestling would have to come first. Volleyball is definitely the growth sport, both at ISU and nationally, and personally id rank it ahead of wrestling at this point, especially with what CJL has proven she can do here.
Tread lightly sir.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Well, if you converted the armory, you'd not only have the costs of doing that, but the costs of creating the new space for everything that's currently in the armory. Might as well just build something new somewhere.

Personally i dont mind hilton for vb. Is it something CJL has said she wants? A new arena, when hilton works just fine (especially with curtains and such) seems a bit wasteful, honestly.

If a facility is built, it would definitely be shared by Wrestling and VB. An off-campus venue near Sukup would probably be the most cost effective but a venue next to Hilton would be ideal since the new VB offices are in Hilton.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
All of the sports get their funding form Football so CPR needs to keep the ball rolling. That and donors.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If a facility is built, it would definitely be shared by Wrestling and VB. An off-campus venue near Sukup would probably be the most cost effective but a venue next to Hilton would be ideal since the new VB offices are in Hilton.

Why not a facility near the soccer/softball/track complex? I thought there was a plan to turn the entire southeast side of campus into an athletic complex.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Well, if you converted the armory, you'd not only have the costs of doing that, but the costs of creating the new space for everything that's currently in the armory. Might as well just build something new somewhere.

Personally i dont mind hilton for vb. Is it something CJL has said she wants? A new arena, when hilton works just fine (especially with curtains and such) seems a bit wasteful, honestly.
I'm guessing she would want it for recruiting purposes, Hilton works but it's always an arms race against these other programs which may offer more "perks".

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
I'm SO excited for the future of this program and so happy to be apart of the band! Love this team!

Oleclone

Feb 7, 2007
Just an FYI on the competition; Nebraska basketball will begin play in the new arena in 2013 and Devaney will then be remodeled for volleyball to the tune of about 40million plus. The plan is to have it be the premier dedicated volleyball facility in the country. In 2010 their attendance was second in the country at about 5200.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Why not a facility near the soccer/softball/track complex? I thought there was a plan to turn the entire southeast side of campus into an athletic complex.

I don't think there is the room for another facility because the space for the field events in track, the softball field, and the soccer stadium with the track inside it take up nearly all the space available. At the west end of this tract, near Welch Rd., there might be just enough room, but I don't really know and would not bet on it.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Just an FYI on the competition; Nebraska basketball will begin play in the new arena in 2013 and Devaney will then be remodeled for volleyball to the tune of about 40million plus. The plan is to have it be the premier dedicated volleyball facility in the country. In 2010 their attendance was second in the country at about 5200.

Husker volleyball looks to move to Devaney Center

Here is a look at some renderings of what the Huskers are planning to do for their VB program:

vb1a.jpg

vb2.jpg

vb3h.jpg

vb4o.jpg

vb5b.jpg

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
CJL has a 9,000-seat venue (with curtain) all to herself, with brand new offices and locker room.

The best thing that could have happened was MBB/WBB moving out to Sukup. It freed up time and space for VB to be basically the primary tenant at Hilton.

Iowa State: 9,000 -- curtained basketball arena
Baylor: 6,000 -- curtained basketball arena
Kansas State: 5,000 -- in half of old basketball arena, built in 1950
Texas: 4,000 -- part of student rec building
Oklahoma: 2,000 -- in old fieldhouse, built in 1928 (renovated 2005)
TCU: 1,500 -- part of student rec center building
Kansas: 1,300 -- building also has practice areas for basketball
Texas Tech: n/a -- play in current 15,000 seat basketball venue
West Virginia: n/a -- play in current 14,000 seat basketball venue (averaged appx 400 per home match in 2011)

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Texas: 4,000 -- part of student rec building

TexasSports.com - Official website of University of Texas Athletics - Texas Longhorns - Facilities

Texas is the only "peer" program of ISU's in the conference. Gregory Gym, which is their VB facility, is a tremendous venue. CJL has said as much.
ISU's VB program wants to be on a level with Texas, Minn, Wisc., Neb, Penn State, Illinois. None of those programs play in the bball arena like we do. They all have an arena of their own.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
ISU's VB program wants to be on a level with Texas, Minn, Wisc., Neb, Penn State, Illinois. None of those programs play in the bball arena like we do. They all have an arena of their own.

Texas is the only one of those that truly has an arena of its own, unless you count this from their facility page: "The 4,000-seat facility also is home to the University of Texas Recreational Sports Department that provides students and UT athletes with two fully-equipped weight rooms, an eight-lane pool, 10 racquetball courts, an exercise lounge, a climbing walll and a three-lane track that overlooks four full-length basketball/volleyball courts."

Minnesota - wrestling, gymnastics
Wisconsin - wrestling
Nebraska - wrestling
Penn State - wrestling, gymnastics
Illinois - wrestling, gymnastics

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Texas is the only one of those that truly has an arena of its own, unless you count this from their facility page: "The 4,000-seat facility also is home to the University of Texas Recreational Sports Department that provides students and UT athletes with two fully-equipped weight rooms, an eight-lane pool, 10 racquetball courts, an exercise lounge, a climbing walll and a three-lane track that overlooks four full-length basketball/volleyball courts."

Minnesota - wrestling, gymnastics
Wisconsin - wrestling
Nebraska - wrestling
Penn State - wrestling, gymnastics
Illinois - wrestling, gymnastics

Every time CJL goes on that road trip to Texas, she talks about the "great VB environment" at Gregory Gym.
My point was that none of those VB teams have to play in the large, expansive basketball arena like our team does. Hilton is not a great VB facility - it's too big.
Now to be fair, some other elite programs do play the the large campus bball arenas: USC, Stanford, UCLA, Florida, and Washington to name five.
Just saying that Hilton is far from perfect.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Where is there money for ISU to build a stand alone arena for VB and wrestling? Yes both need and should be next in line for practice facalities. It just seems like such a waste to not use Hilton as much as it can be used.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
The Armory would be a poor venue due to size, location, age, etc. That would be a huge step backward. If you've seen Michigan State play on the BTN, they still use their armory, and it is not an asset other than being full of fans, but that's because they don't draw large crowds.

Honestly, the quality of the Minnesota facility was surprisingly lacking. The lighting was bad. The scoreboard system was bad. The seating options were of varying quality with some obstructions. Hilton is far superior to Minnesota's dedicated facility.

Need to be careful to wish for an old building to use exclusively for volleyball.

You can imagine the program benefitting from a dedicated practice facility, like the new bball facility.