Coach Knight' s Take on Calapari

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
No, I'm not a ref. I have umped Iowa Games baseball a few times and was barked at a lot while I did it. The thing about it that was just disappointing was I was a volunteer and I was taking crap for it because I love the sport.
I just feel like Bob Knight got too much slack in treatment of officials, players, etc. Maybe the ref's didn't use their discretion enough when they had to ref Indiana games, they probably should have thrown him out more, hell I would have.

I work for an engineering firm in Ames.
I think you need thick skin to referee any sport. My dad umpired baseball games while I was growing up. At my baseball games, my dad was the loudest and hardest person in the stands on the umpire (embarrassing).

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I think you need thick skin to referee any sport. My dad umpired baseball games while I was growing up. At my baseball games, my dad was the loudest and hardest person in the stands on the umpire (embarrassing).
The same when I was growing up. A buddy of mine's dad officiated in every sport. He was also a country sheriff. When he wasn't officiating, he was getting in the faces of officials more than anyone else.
They know what they're getting into.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
That's why I heard a lot of crap and too it, because of thick skin, and knowing I was doing a good job. People must not realize that the strike zone for an 11 year old is quite a bit smaller than the pro's. Coaches were saying to me, you're calling a tight game, and my response was tell them to throw strikes then.
So you're the guy making little league games three hours.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
How long has it been since Knight has shot somebody hunting?

I think he's funny and I like him but he is definitely an A-hole and a dangerous SOB with a gun in his hand. He's probably not the guy to be lecturing others on responsibility considering he has shot multiple people.

Anyways, I'd take him as basketball coach if he was a few years younger in a second.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
to answer mr knight's question...

Calipari still coaches b/c college sports are the most corrupt form of business in the world besides the government. If you bring in cash you can get away with anything

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The U.S. Congress has held hearings in the past regarding the non-profit status of the NCAA. Somehow, the NCAA always manages to escape with its non-profit designation intact.

That's rich. The most corrupt organization in America (Congress) holding hearings on the second most corupt organization (NCAA). I think the odds of money being exchanged is about 99.99%

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
As long as coach's can stay one step ahead of punishment with the NCAA they will continue to cheat. Sanctions almost never follow a coach (Ron Sampson, Lou Holts, etc). They put the school on probation but if the coach who caused the problem is somewhere else, they don't get in any trouble. I would love to see the punishmment go to the violator where ever they are. If they are at a new school, they serve the punishment and too bad for the other school.

In my opinion, the violators would either stop or quickly be out of work!

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Great article! Prominent college basketball coaches and sports talk personalities need to get vocal about Calapari and about the dark side of Men's College Basketball in general. I saw Calapari interviewed on PTI a couple of weeks ago and I was really hoping Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon would call him out. Instead, they totally kissed his butt. It was absolutely disgusting. ESPN has the power to clean-up college athletics with some hard hitting investigative reporting; however, they seem all too eager to sit back, glorify the cheaters, and profit off of the dirty money.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I lost a lot of respect for Knight when he tried to or threatened to sue Indiana for getting canned when anybody else would have been canned several incidents earlier. And even though he was probably trying to set his kid up for the job, he basically quit on his T-Tech team halfway thru the season, so to me he's pretty much a hypocrite.

Reactions: JP4CY

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
How in the heck is this fly by night, snakeoil salesman, one step ahead of the law

vagabond allowed to coach? Atleast Indiana got rid of Sampson. Those two are quite a pair. I hate to see NCAA bb and fb trying to be turned into the NBA and NFL.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
As long as coach's can stay one step ahead of punishment with the NCAA they will continue to cheat. Sanctions almost never follow a coach (Ron Sampson, Lou Holts, etc). They put the school on probation but if the coach who caused the problem is somewhere else, they don't get in any trouble. I would love to see the punishmment go to the violator where ever they are. If they are at a new school, they serve the punishment and too bad for the other school.

In my opinion, the violators would either stop or quickly be out of work!

Ron Sampson? He's a good man here in Ankeny. I think you mean Kelvin.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I lost a lot of respect for Knight when he tried to or threatened to sue Indiana for getting canned when anybody else would have been canned several incidents earlier. And even though he was probably trying to set his kid up for the job, he basically quit on his T-Tech team halfway thru the season, so to me he's pretty much a hypocrite.

How does that make him a hypocrite? If he was calling out someone for grabbing a player, that would make him a hypocrite.

By ALL accounts Knight ran a very clean program and was one of the best at getting his kids to graduate.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
No doubt Knight has a great basketball mind but he could never control himself and was always so arrogant. Throwing the chair across the court, kicking Pat Knight as he sat on the bench, strangling Neil Reid... it's difficult for me to see him speaking of integrity when he showed so little respect to others...

A guy should be able to kick his own kid. :policeman:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Knight always tries to come accross like a tough guy and a "never quit" kind of guy. Then when he gets canned by Indiana for several episodes of acting like a spoiled 2 year old he cries about suing Indiana. Sounds more like something a sissy would do. Then as I said earlier he quit on his T-Tech team. Sounds like a hypocrite to me.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm a HUGE Coach Knight fan and have had a chance to meet him on numerous occasions. Ask anyone (beside Neil Reed) who played for him and you will have a hard time finding anyone to say anything bad about him. Between my Freshman and Soph years of High School our team road tripped up to Western Pa for a super intensive camp on learning the motion offense. The last two days we worked with Coach Knight exclusively. He was tough, but fair and would always pull you aside, put his arm around you and talk to you after he got on your back... I will always be a big fan.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
Knight is spot on about Calapari.

Coaches should be sanctioned with loss of scholarships, wins etc, when violations are found, not the school. Coaches should also be fined (they make enough money).