Coach of the Year - where's the f'ing love?

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Hoiberg? I love Freddy but what did he do to deserve a COTY?

Not surprised about TJ, these awards hardly ever go to "Who overachieved the most?", they prefer to give them to "Who was expected to win 30+ games and then won 30+ games?"

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

Not surprised about TJ, these awards hardly ever go to "Who overachieved the most?", they prefer to give them to "Who was expected to win 30+ games and then won 30+ games?"
Coached in the Big 10. The only conference many people even know exists.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan

if they would have made it to the sweet 16. yes. but na. being the top 68 team in the nation isnt COTY

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
TJ took a team projected to be 7th in their own conference to barely out of 1st place and a #4 ranking at the freaking end of the season. That's COTY over a guy that took last year's roster of Champions to another good season.
While I agree TJ did one of the best jobs in the country. UConn is largely a whole new team from last year. It’s pretty impressive to win a title and then rebuild the roster and do what they’ve done and continue to do in the tournament.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
While I agree TJ did one of the best jobs in the country. UConn is largely a whole new team from last year. It’s pretty impressive to win a title and then rebuild the roster and do what they’ve done and continue to do in the tournament.
Yeah but it's a blue blood doing blue blood things. They have more championships over the past 20 years than anybody, don't they? Not saying it isn't impressive, but I think TJ did far more with far less.

Tlyon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2017
Hurley, Sampson, and TJ all deserved it. This years race for coach of the year seems much closer than in the past.

I think UCONN returned just two starters from last year and was picked third in the big east barely ahead of Nova

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: cyputz and jdubs

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
TJ took a team projected to be 7th in their own conference to barely out of 1st place and a #4 ranking at the freaking end of the season. That's COTY over a guy that took last year's roster of Champions to another good season.
If you could trade TJ, today, for any college coach, would you do it?

I honestly wouldn't.

Best fit, and we aren't even near his ceiling yet between recruiting and coaching.

Awards are hard to come by for Cyclones, because Cyclones.

Sports media is incredibly biased.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
If you could trade TJ, today, for any college coach, would you do it?

I honestly wouldn't.

Best fit, and we aren't even near his ceiling yet between recruiting and coaching.

Awards are hard to come by for Cyclones, because Cyclones.

Sports media is incredibly biased.
Nope. His heart is cardinal and gold colored. He love ISU and that passion comes across in everything he does. The fact that he can do what he is doing at Iowa State after the couple prior years and in the most turbulent time of NCAA, says a LOT. He can sit across the table from a recruit and their parents and that passion is worth 100K in NIL.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Hurly didn’t win it last year so he had this one locked up early on

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
Some of you need to off take of the cardinal and gold glasses. TJ did an amazing job but Hurley lost of a bunch of guys from monster team, was picked 3rd in his own conference and then rebuilt the monster team and became the #1 overall seed and isn't even getting challenged in the tourney. Hurley should have been unanimous honestly. It's Coach of the Year award, not "which coach beat expectations by the most".

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Some of you need to off take of the cardinal and gold glasses. TJ did an amazing job but Hurley lost of a bunch of guys from monster team, was picked 3rd in his own conference and then rebuilt the monster team and became the #1 overall seed and isn't even getting challenged in the tourney. Hurley should have been unanimous honestly. It's Coach of the Year award, not "which coach beat expectations by the most".
I think there is a valid, healthy argument for both. I agree Hurley did a perfect job finding the right guys to be able to repeat. That can't be taken away from him/them. I am certainly biased towards TJ/ISU - but I've had similar sentiments every year when a blue blood gets COTY and somebody that was expected to do nothing beats the #1 team in the country twice and takes them to a next level.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah but it's a blue blood doing blue blood things. They have more championships over the past 20 years than anybody, don't they? Not saying it isn't impressive, but I think TJ did far more with far less.

Yeah, the expectations for them should be higher, but it also wouldnt be fair to say a coach at UConn or another blue blood can't earn it simply because of those advantages. And the way UConn has been, they've been a buzzsaw even against high level competition, more than you'd expect most years even for a blue blood

When you get down to these last few coaches though, you can really make an argument for any of them. Otz, Sampson, Hurley, all did great jobs.

• Winner
Reactions: Jer and jdubs