Coach of the Year - where's the f'ing love?

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
I think there is a valid, healthy argument for both. I agree Hurley did a perfect job finding the right guys to be able to repeat. That can't be taken away from him/them. I am certainly biased towards TJ/ISU - but I've had similar sentiments every year when a blue blood gets COTY and somebody that was expected to do nothing beats the #1 team in the country twice and takes them to a next level.
I get the take and it's reasonable. But for me, coaching includes recruiting (i.e., getting the best players) and then putting those players in the best position to succeed. In general, for me, the coach of the team that wins the title did the best coaching job. I know UCONN hasn't won it yet but they looked like #1 for most of the season.

• Dumb
Reactions: Urbandale2013

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Lets face it, Otz had no chance with Hurley in the running for it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not shocked but thought given preseason expectations TJ far exceeded them over any coach in the country. Hopefully it's just another chip on the shoulder for this team as motivation going into next season although we'll probably start ranked and picked for a top 4 conference finish so there will be more expectations coming in next time.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Reached the tournament, lost in first round. That's a COTY-worthy any season at Nebraska.

Nah. Its good for nebraska, but its not national coach of the year worthy. Its not like its the first time they've made it to the tournament. Theyve made it several times since the tournament expanded to 64, they've just never won. Fred didn't win either.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Yeah, the expectations for them should be higher, but it also wouldnt be fair to say a coach at UConn or another blue blood can't earn it simply because of those advantages. And the way UConn has been, they've been a buzzsaw even against high level competition, more than you'd expect most years even for a blue blood

When you get down to these last few coaches though, you can really make an argument for any of them. Otz, Sampson, Hurley, all did great jobs.
I can agree with that. I just love TJ:)

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Some of you need to off take of the cardinal and gold glasses. TJ did an amazing job but Hurley lost of a bunch of guys from monster team, was picked 3rd in his own conference and then rebuilt the monster team and became the #1 overall seed and isn't even getting challenged in the tourney. Hurley should have been unanimous honestly. It's Coach of the Year award, not "which coach beat expectations by the most".
Hurley def deserved it. IMO not even close. Sampson too.

Reactions: CyNews

13stsurvivor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2024
Sampson deserves credit for coming into Big 12 and winning it but man, Otz beat Sampson twice. Punched him in the mouth both times. Only lost at their house close after a long road trip. That's killer coaching. Reward the art not the prior accolades or loaded rosters playing with house money.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
if they would have made it to the sweet 16. yes. but na. being the top 68 team in the nation isnt COTY
I mean, Wayne Morgan took a non-tournament team and not only made it to the tourney, won a game in the tourney.

Fred did a nice job, but being an 8 or 9 seed and losing when you are in what your fourth year is absolutely not at all worthy of COtY consideration. When the expectations are low for your team largely of your own making, that’s a stupid thing to boost someone’s chances. Hurley won a national title and also turned over a lot of that roster to turn around and dominate.

Reactions: CyNews

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Nah. Its good for nebraska, but its not national coach of the year worthy. Its not like its the first time they've made it to the tournament. Theyve made it several times since the tournament expanded to 64, they've just never won. Fred didn't win either.
Agree - my comment was intended as flippant, by and large.

Compared to the previous decade or so, his team's record (and conference finish) this season is notable. That'd be about the only COY-esque qualifier.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Hoiberg? I love Freddy but what did he do to deserve a COTY?

Not surprised about TJ, these awards hardly ever go to "Who overachieved the most?", they prefer to give them to "Who was expected to win 30+ games and then won 30+ games?"
So then Otz should be a shoo-in for next season as we are pre-season #2. Just need to make the Final Four and he will be COTY.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron