Coach of the Year - where's the f'ing love?

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Sampson deserves credit for coming into Big 12 and winning it but man, Otz beat Sampson twice. Punched him in the mouth both times. Only lost at their house close after a long road trip. That's killer coaching. Reward the art not the prior accolades or loaded rosters playing with house money.
My assumption here is, and I'm not sure how all these awards are decided/voted on, but at least for Big 12 COTY, the coaches themselves vote. As fans I think we focus on the level of play on the floor. Coaches focus on that too but they are also better tuned in than fans on how difficult it is to assemble and manage a loaded roster in the first place. I think that's why you see most of these awards going to situations like 2024 Houston and 2024 UConn and not 2024 Iowa State. You also don't see a lot of coaches in their first year at a new school winning a COTY award even if they're really successful in that year.

An example, suppose Fred stayed one more year and the 2015-2016 Iowa State Cyclones had gone 30-5 and advanced to the Final Four, should he have been COTY? Yes, he built that roster and this year was the culmination of that success both on and off the floor. Suppose Steve Prohm had that same success with that same team, should he have been COTY? He had a team with six future NBA players and a seventh who was borderline (McKay) that he didn't build.

I have no explanation for 2024 Nebraska. Never heard of the Phelen Award before.

Help Support Us

Become a patron