Coaches getting Technicals

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
This hit me last night after Terry got teed up. That was 4 straight games where the opposing bench drew at least one technical. Kelvin Sampson got ejected last night (while having a 20 point lead). Here's a link: https://nypost.com/2024/02/07/sports/houstons-kelvin-sampson-storms-court-screams-in-referees-faces/

What is going on?? While not perfect I think Big XII officials are better than most leagues. Are coaches under more pressure? I'm guessing boosters that pay NIL money are more vocal than they used to be. I'd be curious at to anyone else's opinion.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Obviously it's because we're a bunch of spying cheaters. Reality is good defensive teams are going to draw more t's due to frustration and physicality.

Reactions: CyNews

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This hit me last night after Terry got teed up. That was 4 straight games where the opposing bench drew at least one technical. Kelvin Sampson got ejected last night (while having a 20 point lead). Here's a link: https://nypost.com/2024/02/07/sports/houstons-kelvin-sampson-storms-court-screams-in-referees-faces/

What is going on?? While not perfect I think Big XII officials are better than most leagues. Are coaches under more pressure? I'm guessing boosters that pay NIL money are more vocal than they used to be. I'd be curious at to anyone else's opinion.
I haven't seen any activity that would make me think that coaches are acting out any more than they have in the past (from what I've seen, it's probably less). I think they're just taking a stand on certain rules that they used to let slide (coaches getting on the floor being one of the rules that needed to be enforced).

Mar 21, 2021
These dink coaches inadvertently make the case for salary caps.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
I haven't seen any activity that would make me think that coaches are acting out any more than they have in the past (from what I've seen, it's probably less). I think they're just taking a stand on certain rules that they used to let slide (coaches getting on the floor being one of the rules that needed to be enforced).
It seems like coaches have gotten progressivley worse over the year at staying off the floor. Bruce Webber was terrible. Jamie Dixon is also really bad. Webber would be near half court standing like 5-6 feet out on the floor yelling at his players. Gilbert almost ran into Jamie Dixon during out game at TCU this year when he was 3-4 feet out on the floor after a rebound.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
The officials missed a pretty obvious foul on OSU. I suspect there were other issues with the way the game was being called. It read like Fran supported his objections to the officiating if not his actions in drawing the "T". Sometimes coaches use "T" strategically; other times I think they believe they have to get the refs' attention to call the game better.

Reactions: nrg4isu

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Saw this on another forum. The BIG 12 sent out a memo to crack down on bench decorum. The **** that Scott Drew does where he's yelling behind players or running along side them coming down the court is an instant T now, no warnings.

Good. That stuff is garbage. How do grown men who make millions of dollars and preach discipline on a daily basis lack the self-discipline (or shame) to keep from behaving this way? The college football coaches who need "get-back guys" to restrain them are even worse. This isn't kindergarten.

There are gray areas in deciding whether to penalize a coach. A coach leaving the box is as black-and-white as it gets.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
For me, officiating has to have some form of consistency. Nothing is perfect, but it is really maddening when a game is allowed to be played one way for one half and a different way the second half. Last night was a prime example. There were very few whistles in the first half, which allowed the game to be really physical. To no one's surprise, we had a big halftime lead. Then the second half happened and there were more fouls before the second media timeout than there was in the entire first half. I just have a hard time believing the game was being played that differently from half to half.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
It seems like coaches have gotten progressivley worse over the year at staying off the floor. Bruce Webber was terrible. Jamie Dixon is also really bad. Webber would be near half court standing like 5-6 feet out on the floor yelling at his players. Gilbert almost ran into Jamie Dixon during out game at TCU this year when he was 3-4 feet out on the floor after a rebound.

We should coach our players to run into coaches that are on the floor. Automatic T on the bench.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Yeah plenty of coaches are coming out way too far. Shaka is another that has been pretty far out of the box. I don't think Scott deserved to get ejected for that, but was outside and is a clear line on where the box ends. Sure it will be something that is called a lot for a bit then gradually gets worse again.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Good teams play
Yep, Coaches know if they can work the officials to call a tight game, they'll have better luck playing against TJ's defense.
Good teams play physical basketball. The Big XII has a lot of physical play because there are a lot of good teams. If you play soft in this league, you'll be run off the floor a lot of nights. It puts a lot more pressure on the officials. I don't really have any complaints with how our games have been called this season.

Reactions: CyNews

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I wish they would crack down even more. I really hate coaches on the court when the half court game is in that half of the court. Watched a game this year were an opposing player almost collided with Maryland's Brenda Frese twice within five minutes. I was begging the refs to T her up. Player should have just run her over and made the refs make a call.