Coaches getting Technicals

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The technicals are coming because the Big 12 refs have lost control of the game this year. It's by far the most physical conference and a lot of the times looks more like a football game. I think 3 coaches have already been thrown and and all three either had never been thrown out before or haven't in the last couple of decades. Hopefully our teams will be able to adjust in the tourney where they will probably see a much quicker whistle.

They're coming because there's finally some pushback on coaches wandering onto the court during play and being out across half court, as well as general decorum.

The box area was extended 10 feet several years ago to give coaches more room, and they kept pushing the boundaries. Well, guess what -- now this is happening.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Usually somewhere between the 12 and 8 minute mark of the 1st half. He will go get one, and then usually things start going KU's way. Absolutely a tactic he uses. And he usually does it when the opponent already has the ball, so that saves a possession. Just a master of the deliberate T.
There's a reason he's one of the Top 10-ish to ever do it.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Usually somewhere between the 12 and 8 minute mark of the 1st half. He will go get one, and then usually things start going KU's way. Absolutely a tactic he uses. And he usually does it when the opponent already has the ball, so that saves a possession. Just a master of the deliberate T.

Especially if it's an away game. This gets the crowd all sorts of jacked up and all it does is takes the air out of the balloon as they don't have much energy left to keep it up.

I remember in 2013 he winked at the ISU crowd in Ames after they were done getting after him for getting T'd up.

That's a talent.

Reactions: CascadeClone

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm more than Ok with the officials keeping coaches in check as it was crazy how far some came out on the floor. And, as much as I like a physical style of play I thought the Big XII was going a bit too far. I don't want physical play becoming more important than the other aspects of the game.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm more than Ok with the officials keeping coaches in check as it was crazy how far some came out on the floor. And, as much as I like a physical style of play I thought the Big XII was going a bit too far. I don't want physical play becoming more important than the other aspects of the game.
We almost got to full freedom of movement 6 or 7 years ago and then Izzo had a meltdown about not being able to chuck cutters anymore and it ended.

He was all for freedom of movement when his team was playing offense but the second he got called for it defensively he went apeshit. The guy that invented chucking cutters ******** about chucking cutters is so, so rich.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
We almost got to full freedom of movement 6 or 7 years ago and then Izzo had a meltdown about not being able to chuck cutters anymore and it ended.

He was all for freedom of movement when his team was playing offense but the second he got called for it defensively he went apeshit. The guy that invented chucking cutters ******** about chucking cutters is so, so rich.
There are two things I don't care for in today's game. One is letting players get body bumped out of bounds while trapped. And yes I realize our players are good at this but I still don't like it.

The other is letting a player with the ball "back down" a defender in the lane by pushing him back with his body. When I played (yes it was a long time ago) if you had defensive position you were good. The refs would not let a bigger player push you down the lane. It is common in the NBA and has bled over into college. It never made sense to me to give a offensive player that big of an advantage just because he is built like Shaq or Steven Adams.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I would tend to agree. I love our team's toughness, and I love TJ's ability to adapt to the rules and use them to his advantage. But there were moments the game Monday barely looked like basketball with the level of physicality that was allowed.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
There are two things I don't care for in today's game. One is letting players get body bumped out of bounds while trapped. And yes I realize our players are good at this but I still don't like it.

The other is letting a player with the ball "back down" a defender in the lane by pushing him back with his body. When I played (yes it was a long time ago) if you had defensive position you were good. The refs would not let a bigger player push you down the lane. It is common in the NBA and has bled over into college. It never made sense to me to give a offensive player that big of an advantage just because he is built like Shaq or Steven Adams.
Big players have an advantage over small players in this way. Small players have a lot of advantages over big players.