Coaching Search: Place your bets

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My prediction is Pollard finds an excuse to retain Prohm. "It was the pandemic." "He has a FANTASTIC recruiting class, can't risk that!"
Lol it’s ranked 74 in the nation next year

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If you are going outside the box. Why not hire an African American coach. Makes more sense than a white woman!

Anthony Grant - Dayton HC
Dennis Gates - Cleveland State HC
Dana Ford - Mo State HC
Dwayne Stephens - Mich St Asst
Micah Shrewsberry - Purdue Asst.
Jerome Tang - Baylor Asst.
Who out of this group do you guys think is most ready I'm a little knowledgeable with Dana Ford, our neck of the woods, comes off well, well spoken, intelligent, I think a very good coach. But only his 2nd year at Missouri State so not sure if ready yet.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I feel like most people who don’t want Fred fear he will just leave us for the NBA like Altman won’t retire in 5 years anyway.

For him to leave us for the NBA means he has to have success. Man, that would really suck.

For people who point at his lack of success at Nebraska in year 2, you’re right. Transfer market doesn’t work anymore. He can’t exploit it. How many coaches are able to develop immediate relationships with seniors in HS? The fact that he’s got 2 of the best 3 recruits in Nebraska history coming in next year is incredible despite their record, which tells me he can bring talent to Iowa State.

tl;dr - if it ain’t Craig Smith, Fred Hoiberg is a good option too, and I’m mind blown how butthurt and unforgiving this forum is

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
1. Hoiberg (only if what people are saying is true on him wanting back in, which I’m not buying). Also my Hoiball Sony PlayStation account will have meaning again
2. I literally have no idea
3. Davrais. Only because hiring an in state “rival” blew up in our faces the first time

Run Faster

Sep 28, 2020
Who do you WANT to hire? TJ or Matt Campbell....guy loves his Cavs.
Who do you think we WILL hire? TJ
Who do you definitely NOT want to hire? An old fart

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
Fwiw, TJ had a bad break at UNLV this year, UNLV had a LONG layoff (over a month) in the middle of the season, during which their point guard was lost, to a stress fracture. They just weren't able to recover, but have been right there in many games. He had brought in a bunch of freshmen, but with this covid year, said that he probably wouldn't have done that, and would have gone after the transfer market more, had he known what the year would bring. He'd do much better at ISU.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I feel like most people who don’t want Fred fear he will just leave us for the NBA like Altman won’t retire in 5 years anyway.

For him to leave us for the NBA means he has to have success. Man, that would really suck.

For people who point at his lack of success at Nebraska in year 2, you’re right. Transfer market doesn’t work anymore. He can’t exploit it. How many coaches are able to develop immediate relationships with seniors in HS? The fact that he’s got 2 of the best 3 recruits in Nebraska history coming in next year is incredible despite their record, which tells me he can bring talent to Iowa State.

tl;dr - if it ain’t Craig Smith, Fred Hoiberg is a good option too, and I’m mind blown how butthurt and unforgiving this forum is
The transfer market does still work. Teams all over the country use it to their advantage. Fred rebuilt his first couple teams with primarily transfers but his last two years were made up of high school recruits, with a couple transfers sprinkled on.

Fred also has already brought in a good transfer at Nebraska and it was a combo deal because he got that transfer’s 5 star brother to decommit to FSU and will be joining the team next year.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
Fwiw, TJ had a bad break at UNLV this year, UNLV had a LONG layoff (over a month) in the middle of the season, during which their point guard was lost, to a stress fracture. They just weren't able to recover, but have been right there in many games. He had brought in a bunch of freshmen, but with this covid year, said that he probably wouldn't have done that, and would have gone after the transfer market more, had he known what the year would bring. He'd do much better at ISU.

did you just describe tj or prohm? Tj is not a step up

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
His team looks like it’s coached by Prohm. They don’t run any offense, they are out of position most of the time, and they’re not held accountable for bad play. Seem familiar? T.J. Is Prohm 2.0 and the only reason people want him is because of his ties to ISU. He will be fired from UNLV in two years unless ISU makes a giant mistake and hires him.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
prohm will be back for another season!!
Steve last night responded to a question regarding whether or not he believes he’ll be the coach next year with “I don’t know”. Lol