Coaching Search: Place your bets

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah there will always be people that are unrealistic. People forget that although we were incredibly fun to watch in years 2-3 of Fred, we weren’t great teams. We had some very good players (Royce) but we were an 8 seed in year two and a 10 seed in year 3 with Fred.

exactly

I think Hoiberg could be successful round two, BUT it would likely take longer to get that success this round with the dumpster fire we have now and the state of men’s basketball (ie transfer market different now)

I personally think it would be extremely stressful coming back with the success you had round 1 because people will expect that or better very soon and I’m not sure that success will happen. I think Fred is a winner, but I only want him this time ifhe is 100% bought in

just my two cents

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah there will always be people that are unrealistic. People forget that although we were incredibly fun to watch in years 2-3 of Fred, we weren’t great teams. We had some very good players (Royce) but we were an 8 seed in year two and a 10 seed in year 3 with Fred.

Correct, but at the same time compared to the wastelands of the McDermott years those teams felt to me like we were back in the Sweet 16. Fans are starved for a winner; even if the winning is only done on a moderate or limited basis it can still generate a ton of goodwill after a period of losing. I hope that's the case even if the next coach isn't Fred.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I am intrigued by Devries. Seems everyone says it took to long for him to get a head coaching job and he's showing quick success....but he also has a confident, fun swagger about him based on what I've seen.

But overall, I don't really have a list of wants, etc....just ready for something new.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
My hope for a new coach is

year 1 throw away year
Year 2 .500 record
Year 3 NIT or bubble of NCAA

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Correct, but at the same time compared to the wastelands of the McDermott years those teams felt to me like we were back in the Sweet 16. Fans are starved for a winner; even if the winning is only done on a moderate or limited basis it can still generate a ton of goodwill after a period of losing. I hope that's the case even if the next coach isn't Fred.
Oh yes I’m not saying we were actually bad those first two years. Fred gave us exactly what we wanted in year 2-3 which was fun teams with exciting players and that recipe yielded solid results for a program that was trying to be rebuilt. I’d take those years back in a heart beat.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah and mplueg

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
There is only one logical choice to restore "Hilton Magic":

He definitely would hit the excitement meter for selling tickets and recruits would know who he is. maybe he could bring in naz as his understudy. don’t see it happening though

this is all in jest i really don’t believe in it

Last edited:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The transfer market does still work. Teams all over the country use it to their advantage. Fred rebuilt his first couple teams with primarily transfers but his last two years were made up of high school recruits, with a couple transfers sprinkled on.

Fred also has already brought in a good transfer at Nebraska and it was a combo deal because he got that transfer’s 5 star brother to decommit to FSU and will be joining the team next year.

For the record, I agree. But people act like he should be successful at NU by now as if he just grabbed 6 high level transfers his first year and what I meant is that it doesn’t work like that anymore

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You Hoiberg lovers do realize the likelihood of him having immediate success like last time is very low right? People think he is going to ride in on this white horse and have us as an instant top 10 team - it isn’t happening!

he caught lightning in a bottle the first go round and likely could have sustained success - now no!

No one thinks that. My support, and what I see from most people who like Fred

1) he’s proven he can take **** and make it work

2) if covid allows it, he immediately sells out Hilton next year. No other coach will. Sell outs = money.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
He definitely would hit the excitement meter for selling tickets and recruits would know who he is. maybe he could bring in naz as his understudy. don’t see it happening though

Naz is going to go from dropping triple-doubles in the G-league to being Fran Frascilla's assistant coach?

The same Fran who hasn't coached in 20 years?

The same Ftan who has never coached in a major conference?

I agree with you, I don't see it happening. Come on.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
No one thinks that. My support, and what I see from most people who like Fred

1) he’s proven he can take **** and make it work

2) if covid allows it, he immediately sells out Hilton next year. No other coach will. Sell outs = money.

we’ll have to agree to disagree

I have seen it all over social media people think he would immediately take us back to the glory days. Not necessarily saying just here. Ultimately some fans are dumb and unrealistic!

1) He has sucked everywhere as a head coach besides isu

2) I will agree with you on that

exciting basketball to me is a win and I think Fred can do that. Do I think he would be as successful round two? No I don’t, but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be fun and still ultimately successful just not the same success

Reactions: cyclonehomer

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I am intrigued by Devries. Seems everyone says it took to long for him to get a head coaching job and he's showing quick success....but he also has a confident, fun swagger about him based on what I've seen.

But overall, I don't really have a list of wants, etc....just ready for something new.
I agree. DeVries has done a great job of creating chemistry (something we have not had in a long time), and I think that's half of what coaching is. I just wish I had more data on DeVries.

Reactions: CapnCy

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
I listen to the vsin network all day at work and they are based in Vegas. Last week they were talking about UNLV and absolutely trashing TJ. They said he is the 2nd worst if not the worst coach in the conference. Spent probably 5 to 10 mins trashing him and even brought up iowa states potential coaching change and wondered why iowa state would even look at this guy. I wasn't a big fan before but that was eye opening.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Naz is going to go from dropping triple-doubles in the G-league to being Fran Frascilla's assistant coach?

The same Fran who hasn't coached in 20 years?

The same Ftan who has never coached in a major conference?

I agree with you, I don't see it happening. Come on.

Yes and we’re going to have a starting lineup of:

PG - Brock Purdy
SG - Breece Hall
SF - Xavier Hutchison
PF - Charlie Kolar
C - Enyi

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Two things for those trying to think about how Fred would work financially, you’re right in that $15 million in buyouts is unrealistic. The whispers I’ve heard is that there’s hope

1) Prohm resigns instead of gets fired, taking some but not anywhere near the $7ish million hes owed

2) Nebraska doesn’t require a college team to pay the full $8.5 million for a buyout and settles for a much lower number. This is beneficial for Nebraska because it gets them off the hook for their current contract while still making some money instead of hoping for success next year. A bad year next year for Nebraska and it ends up being a horrible contract in which they’re paying a lot of money and will not be receiving any buyouts.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Die4Cy

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Who do you WANT to hire?
Dana Altman

Who do you think we WILL hire?
TJ

Who do you definitely NOT want to hire?
Steve Prohm