Coaching Search: Place your bets

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Make the best choice for the health of Cyclone basketball. Don't be shortsighted thinking you have to hire a coach because he might bring a player you like along with him.

We got Prohm in part because he was a coach with head coaching experience (to satisfy the university president) that would permit the existing team to operate under the previous system (something the returning team wanted.)

That only worked out for a little while.

This is a common theme.

Were the returning players threatening to take off or something?

Just seems like there had to be someone out there that could have come in and maybe do things different but still keep it together and establish some buy in.

It's been thrown out there that the player/coach connection wasn't great at least to start so just kind of interesting how the choice was made.

FWIW those first two teams played some real complete basketball at the end of the seasons although there were still some weird losses etc.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
This is a common theme.

Were the returning players threatening to take off or something?

Just seems like there had to be someone out there that could have come in and maybe do things different but still keep it together and establish some buy in.

It's been thrown out there that the player/coach connection wasn't great at least to start so just kind of interesting how the choice was made.

FWIW those first two teams played some real complete basketball at the end of the seasons although there were still some weird losses etc.

Anytime there's a coaching change there's going to be some adjustment to the new guy. Players will buy into a winner no matter what style they run.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
For obvious reasons- her great winning record of course- I am leaning toward Molly Miller the women's coach at Grand Canyon University. Look her up. She even has a son named Cy; obviously making this a perfect fit.

Iowa State can again show trailblazing leadership by being the first P6 team to name a woman head coach to lead a men's team. With Coach Miller on the sideline I think we could even get a few calls from the refs to go our way.

https://gculopes.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/2020-21

While this would never happen, it could possibly end the "Fred" debate. seriously though, I would keep her in mind when Coach Bill F. retires. Her trapping, defense is a joy to watch.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
In hindsight, I feel like this was overblown. A good coach could've adjusted to the players Fred left. Were we really at risk of a mass player defection if Underwood were coach? You can be a demanding coach without being a complete *******.
But what are you really trying to say?

Haha :p

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
For obvious reasons- her great winning record of course- I am leaning toward Molly Miller the women's coach at Grand Canyon University. Look her up. She even has a son named Cy; obviously making this a perfect fit.

Iowa State can again show trailblazing leadership by being the first P6 team to name a woman head coach to lead a men's team. With Coach Miller on the sideline I think we could even get a few calls from the refs to go our way.

https://gculopes.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/2020-21

While this would never happen, it could possibly end the "Fred" debate. seriously though, I would keep her in mind when Coach Bill F. retires. Her trapping, defense is a joy to watch.
Wow. Good call. Miller is a great coach and should be looked at if/when Fennelly retires, for sure. She's from Springfield, MO, near where we live.

"Miller, a Kickapoo High grad, will have her first opportunity at a Division I job after leading the Lady Panthers to four straight Great Lakes Valley Conference titles.

The Lady Panthers just completed their second consecutive undefeated regular season. They were set to host the Midwest Regional in the Division II NCAA Tournament, but it was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic."

She left Drury last year to move up to Div. 1 coaching. I imagine she has also done great in first year at Grand Valley (but didn't look it up).

I'm impressed with your search radius!!

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think I want Dennis Gates. I think he's a system and culture guy and the closest thing to a Campbell analogue you could find in college basketball at the moment. He's going to be a bigtime hire somewhere soon, the risk is that he hasn't done it very long as HC.

I think Pollard hires Craig Smith. Still young, longer resume equates to less risk, affordable. A solid choice. If successful at ISU could have a higher ceiling than any pace and space coach talked about here.

I don't want...to even entertain the idea that COVID means Prohm gets another chance to right the ship. I realize this means ISU loses Hunter more than likely, but the last two years demand a change to a different direction.

Reactions: Bubba Hubba

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think I want Dennis Gates. I think he's a system and culture guy and the closest thing to a Campbell analogue you could find in college basketball at the moment. He's going to be a bigtime hire somewhere soon, the risk is that he hasn't done it very long as HC.

I think Pollard hires Craig Smith. Still young, longer resume equates to less risk, affordable. A solid choice. If successful at ISU could have a higher ceiling than any pace and space coach talked about here.

I don't want...to even entertain the idea that COVID means Prohm gets another chance to right the ship. I realize this means ISU loses Hunter more than likely, but the last two years demand a change to a different direction.

I want to keep Hunter committed, but the program is bigger than one recruit.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Yeah I’ve been leaning more and more him. Just line him up with some great recruiters... but thats same for any coach lol

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Yeah I’ve been leaning more and more him. Just line him up with some great recruiters... but thats same for any coach lol
Gates has been regarded as good recruiter himself. From his short time at CSU, there is the potential he’s a good recruiter, culture guy, and knows his stuff. His brother isn’t too bad either.

Similar resume to TJ, but has demonstrated turning around a bad program in large part from completely changing the culture.

Reactions: jkbuff98

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Would Cornell Mann, former assistant with Fred and current assistant at Mizzou, be interested in our rebuild? Would coach Mann be able to convince Drew Buggs to come along as a potential player/grad assistant? Drew's father played football at Iowa State and Drew could get some coaching and program building experience.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
My bad. He left after one season. Either way, does nothing to move the needle especially since he only lasted a year there.
Drake was horrid when he got there and they won 17 his year and left a good situation for Devries. Medved is 3/3 for taking **** programs and turning them around. Furman won 7, Drake won 7, and CSU won 11 the years before Medved took them over. Not conference games, total games. Comparing records vs other candidates is deceiving. CSU may make it to the tourney this year.

As a comparison, SDSU the year before TJ took over won 26 games and finished 1st in the league. UNLV won 17 overall and 11 in the MWC the year before he took over. USU was winning 16-18 games the few seasons before Smith took over I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubba Hubba

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Would Cornell Mann, former assistant with Fred and current assistant at Mizzou, be interested in our rebuild? Would coach Mann be able to convince Drew Buggs to come along as a potential player/grad assistant? Drew's father played football at Iowa State and Drew could get some coaching and program building experience.
It’s too early to discuss potential assistants. But I agree, Coach Mann wouldn’t be a bad choice for one.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Drake was horrid when he got there and they won 17 his year and left a good situation for Devries. Medved is 3/3 for taking **** programs and turning them around.

That’s not 100% correct - he left it pretty bare at drake - drake had the 2nd fewest returning players In the country and DeVries built his first year roster from scratch in just a couple months.

Reactions: cycloneworld

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Are people still on the USU guy or are we shifting to the SDSU coach because SDSU beat USU in one game?

a86212fb-0e30-47c3-ba5a-e33978bef281-gif.188471

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That’s not 100% correct - he left it pretty bare at drake - drake had the 2nd fewest returning players In the country and DeVries built his first year roster from scratch in just a couple months.
I thought a few of those guys that signed in spring signed under DD but were Medved recruits. I think that’s the case with Wilkins and Robbins, but I could be wrong. Norton, McGlynn and Penn were good holdovers. But yes, I think DD has done a great job at Drake.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
I think the SDSU coach goes to Minnesota. I read that he is an alum and negotiated a smaller $1M buyout if he were to get hired there. Otherwise his buyout is $7M.