Coaching Search: Place your bets

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
I thought a few of those guys that signed in spring signed under DD but were Medved recruits. I think that’s the case with Wilkins and Robbins, but I could be wrong. Norton, McGlynn and Penn were good holdovers. But yes, I think DD has done a great job at Drake.
DD brought in transfers his first year - Murphy brothers - nick Norton , Penn and Brady Ellingson from iowa. Wilkins and Robbins were freshman his first year - don’t know who recruited them.

CLONER99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2015
Are people still on the USU guy or are we shifting to the SDSU coach because SDSU beat USU in one game?

He would be my top choice. Program builder. Felt like I was watching Campbell vs Fleck ala 2015. (He being USU coach Smith)

Last edited:

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I think I want Dennis Gates. I think he's a system and culture guy and the closest thing to a Campbell analogue you could find in college basketball at the moment. He's going to be a bigtime hire somewhere soon, the risk is that he hasn't done it very long as HC.

I think Pollard hires Craig Smith. Still young, longer resume equates to less risk, affordable. A solid choice. If successful at ISU could have a higher ceiling than any pace and space coach talked about here.

I don't want...to even entertain the idea that COVID means Prohm gets another chance to right the ship. I realize this means ISU loses Hunter more than likely, but the last two years demand a change to a different direction.

Dennis Gates? Clev St is terrible.

If a black head coach makes sense then the pick is Dana Ford from Missouri St. From Illinois, Played at Illinois St has midwest ties and has done very good things at Tenn St and Mo St. He is 36 and a stud and he would appeal to Hunter offensively and appeal to Cyclone Nation because he commands defense and rebounding. Dennis Gates Clev St team is terrible offensively and poor defensively.

I also like Craig Smith Utah St or Porter Moser Loyola.

That should be the three Dana Ford, Craig Smith, or Porter Moser. They are all far superior to Gates

Edit: that may have come off blunt and for me it isn't about race, but Geez, really? Gates is a horrible option and I assumed there was one reason he was brought up. And if diversity is the reason sign me up for Dana Ford, I'd be all in for him

Last edited:

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey

If a black head coach makes sense then the pick is Dana Ford from Missouri St. From Illinois, Played at Illinois St has midwest ties and has done very good things at Tenn St and Mo St. He is 36 and a stud and he would appeal to Hunter offensively and appeal to Cyclone Nation because he commands defense and rebounding. Dennis Gates Clev St team is terrible offensively and poor defensively.

That should be the three Dana Ford, Craig Smith, or Porter Moser. They are all far superior to Gates

Edit: that may have come off blunt and for me it isn't about race, but Geez, really? Gates is a horrible option and I assumed there was one reason he was brought up. And if diversity is the reason sign me up for Dana Ford, I'd be all in for him
Cleveland st terrible?

You mean the guy that took over the worst team in the horizon league. Predicted to finish last his first year. Convinced a lot of players not to transfer out.

Won the conference and title in his second season? The best recruiter in their conference?

Yeah I like the sound of that.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

What are you talking about? Gates took a dumpster fire and put them in the tournament within 2 years. He’s won conference coach of the year twice - and he’s been the head coach for 2 years.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Dana Ford would be a great choice. His MSU teams are improving and they play hard. .500 record his first 2 of 3 years at MSU, to his 3rd year in '20-21 of 17-7 and 3rd place in MVC. I think he's a good recruiter also. I think he is an up and coming coach with a bright future.

He states he recruits hard-nosed physical and mental players, athletes, is all about the 'players' and holds them accountable, demands defense and rebounding. I like him. MSU fans like him. He carries himself with confidence and charisma and is well spoken. Second Div 1 job as head coach, I believe. Did very good to good job at Tennessee State prior to MSU.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

you must be thinking of someone else.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Cleveland st terrible?

You mean the guy that took over the worst team in the horizon league. Predicted to finish last his first year. Convinced a lot of players not to transfer out.

Won the conference and title in his second season? The best recruiter in their conference?

Yeah I like the sound of that.
What are you talking about? Gates took a dumpster fire and put them in the tournament within 2 years. He’s won conference coach of the year twice - and he’s been the head coach for 2 years.
CYcoFan, if a 16-7 team, in a covid year, who just won their Conference Tourney, and who did similarly good the year before, is terrible, I'd like to know what you consider really good is?

Gates is a character guy, very up and coming, already has an identity. He is gaining experience, good coaching tree so far, players like playing for him, a winner, is charismatic. What's not to like? I don't think he'll be available after this year, maybe not even this year. Higher teams are going to flock to his door.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The CDC is stating that vaccinated people can eat together in restaurants without any concerns.
They won't have tighter recommendations for outdoor seating in football stadiums.

And no, they won't require proof of vaccination. Might or might not be a good idea to require it, but there's no way that would happen at all.

But yeah, if 30-40% aren't vaccinated, it could be a pretty major spreading event for those people.
We've been warned about dozens of major spreading events, none of which came to pass. Some people never learn. Your are very safe outdoors, vaccinated, or not. That's been known for 9-10 months now.

• Agree
Reactions: arobb

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Look you haven’t made an actual argument about why he’s bad. Your entire argument is other people think he’s bad. I’ve said it multiple times those people are absolute morons. We are talking about a school that fired Marvin Menzies as he was building them back up. Yeah Chris Beard was a better coach but you don’t fire a good coach to get another good coach.

UNLV hasn’t made the tournament in 8 years now. They have no justification for being an immediate top 25 team. We want to be a top 25 team but whoever the coach is I don’t expect that for at least two or three years because of where we are at. While basketball is a quicker rebuild then football it almost always takes a couple of years to get going.

Prohm had a good first two years but it was a don’t break it situation. UNLV is very much not that situation.
UNLV is a great job and their fans should have high expectations. You are only looking at the UNLV job through Cardinal & Gold colored glasses. Should ISU fans have lowered their expectations after the Morgan/McDermott era? Heck no!

The only thing holding UNLV back from being a consistent Top 25 program is hiring the right coach. The exact same issue holding ISU back.

Plus UNLV has some built in advantages and should be a MWC power:
  • Vegas Baby!!
  • Findley Prep is in its backyard. Plus there are a number of elite Prep Schools popping up in AZ.
  • Number of P5 HS athletes within 4-5 hours of campus.
The shear fact that TJ took the UNLV job and left SDSU program that been to NIT and NCAA Tournaments in each of his first 3 years indicates TJ felt UNLV was top MWC program and perennial NCAA Tournament team.

TJ might be a great coach- but his record this year raises doubts. He stepped in and had a great 2019/20 season with Menzies players. But in year 2 his team has taken a step back and next year could be even worse if his 2 best players, Hamilton and Jenkins don't return. Their starting center Diong is a senior and I believe Diong has decided not to take his extra year.

So it is very reasonable for Cyclone fans to question TJ's resume. Especially after what we have just gone through with Coach Prohm. I would be stunned if TJ's name is mentioned with any other P5 basketball head coaching openings this spring. That tells me the only people pushing TJ for the Cyclone job, are people who have a personal relationship with TJ.

Finally, you continue to mention TJ said he would not have recruited so many HS recruits if he would have known there would be Covid. I think it's a logical soundbite based on the impact Covid has had on society, but not realistic.

I bet TJ looked at his roster going into the 2019/20 season and felt he could recruit a big HS class in the fall of 2019 because he had a very talented group of 8 sophomores/ juniors and was set his first 2 years. Plus he could fill any gaps for the 2020/21 season with the spring 2020 transfer market.

But then things went sideways for the 2020/21 season:
  • Amauri Hardy UNLV's 2nd leading scorer transferred to Oregon
  • Donnie Tillman (a TJ Tfr) their 4th leading scorer ended up being a headcase and transferred to NMSU
  • Jonah Antonio one of their top bench players transferred to Wake Forest
  • Cheickna Dembele stopped playing due to injuries
Also it is worth noting that when TJ signed 8 players in his fall 2019 class (6 HS & 2 JUCO), he only had 4 scholarship available. So he anticipated attrition or he would have had to pull 4 scholarship offers.

Menzies Players
Cheickna Dembele - Post RS Jr. 2019/20
Amauri Hardy - Guard Jr 2019/20
Diong - Post Jr 2019/20
Hamiilton - Guard So 2019/20

TJ Underclassman Transfers Immediately Eligible
Donnie Tillman - Forward Jr 2019/20: Pac 12 6th man at Utah
Jonah Antonio - Guard Jr 2019/20: JUCO Tfr Played on Australian Ntnl Team
** Plus TJ brought in 2 senior transfers: Elijah Mitrou-Long from Texas and Vitaliy Shibel from Arizona State **

TJ Transfers Sit Out - Eligible 2020/21
Moses Woods - Soph Tfr Tulane
David Jenkins - Jr Tfr SDSU played for TJ and was Summit League All Conference

Last edited:

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
CYcoFan, if a 16-7 team, in a covid year, who just won their Conference Tourney, and who did similarly good the year before, is terrible, I'd like to know what you consider really good is?

Gates is a character guy, very up and coming, already has an identity. He is gaining experience, good coaching tree so far, players like playing for him, a winner, is charismatic. What's not to like? I don't think he'll be available after this year, maybe not even this year. Higher teams are going to flock to his door.

And Steve Prohm was 104-29 and Murray St. Do you guys watch games or just look at stats. Dana Ford would beat Gates' Clev St team, then he'd take the Clev St team and beat his Mo State team. Same goes for Craig Smith and Porter Moser.

I swear to ******* christ the Cyclone fan base pisses me off more than any. Blame every ******* loss on the coach and can't use their own ******* eyes to judge god damn coaching talent.

BRO FAN message are full of contradicting takes. Be honest with yourself Cyclone Nation most of you don't know what the **** you are talking about. Clev St was 199 in adjusted O and 121 in Adjusted D on KenPom and the Horizon league was utter ******* dog ****. Gates moved them from bad to still bad and you lot think he is better than Ford, Smith or Moser GTFO

• Funny
Reactions: Cy$

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
And Steve Prohm was 104-29 and Murray St. Do you guys watch games or just look at stats. Dana Ford would beat Gates' Clev St team, then he'd take the Clev St team and beat his Mo State team. Same goes for Craig Smith and Porter Moser.

I swear to ******* christ the Cyclone fan base pisses me off more than any. Blame every ******* loss on the coach and can't use their own ******* eyes to judge god damn coaching talent.

BRO FAN message are full of contradicting takes. Be honest with yourself Cyclone Nation most of you don't know what the **** you are talking about. Clev St was 199 in adjusted O and 121 in Adjusted D on KenPom and the Horizon league was utter ******* dog ****. Gates moved them from bad to still bad and you lot think he is better than Ford, Smith or Moser GTFO
Lol

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Ah yes, they went from 11-21 to 19-7 and winning both the outright conference title and conference tournament that gave them an NCAA birth. They certainly barely moved the needle this year in comparison to the years before.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

LOL. U mad?

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
LOL. U mad?

Hey Die 4 Cy, what's up. Let me ask you something. Both Grand Canyon and Clev St are 15 seeds.

Would you rather have Bryce Drew or Dennis Gates?

I clearly prefer other candidates, but if we are going apples to apples what say you. Thanks

And yeah I am clearly ******* pissed at the way we have treated a man that won multiple Big 12 tourney titles. Dennis Gates is not a ******* upgrade

Edit: Dennis Gates, TJ, Nico are not ******* upgrades Bro-Fan members. Let's not go through the Bro-Motions let's get this right

• Dumb
Reactions: NoCreativity

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Hey Die 4 Cy, what's up. Let me ask you something. Both Grand Canyon and Clev St are 15 seeds.

Would you rather have Bryce Drew or Dennis Gates?

I clearly prefer other candidates, but if we are going apples to apples what say you. Thanks

And yeah I am clearly ******* pissed at the way we have treated a man that won multiple Big 12 tourney titles. Dennis Gates is not a ******* upgrade

Edit: Dennis Gates, TJ, Nico are not ******* upgrades Bro-Fan members. Let's not go through the Bro-Motions let's get this right
Steve Prohm is a bad coach. He’s been treated more than fair.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Are you Ford, Smith, or Moser?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron