Collegehoops.net Cyclone preview

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nedrick @ 06-27-06 12:09 pm) [post=5751]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> Just came across this preview...
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/preview/2006/134.htm

Looks like they don't give us much of a chance.

Let's hope GMac and the team can prove him wrong! [/b][/quote]

Wow, last in the Big XII and 134 out 144 teams they are reviewing. Ouch.

I know one thing: We won't be last in the Big XII this year. Hilton hom court advantage alone will win us some games. I think we finish middle of the pack.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
This actually seems logical to me. Accurate? - probably not, but logical yes. Almost the entire team packed their bags from last year. Now, I think this is the perfect way for McDermott to start his tenure. No expectations. I think we'll all be encouraged after 2006-07. Just one guys opinion.

cygoat

Apr 11, 2006
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nedrick @ 06-27-06 1:09 pm) [post=5751]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'>
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/preview/2006/134.htm[/b][/quote]Did you notice this little tidbit? "Walk-on forward Mike Smith, a transfer from Iowa Central Community College, will provide emergency depth in the paint." Who is this guy? I've never heard of him before.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cygoat @ 06-27-06 1:47 pm) [post=5792]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> Did you notice this little tidbit? "Walk-on forward Mike Smith, a transfer from Iowa Central Community College, will provide emergency depth in the paint." Who is this guy? I've never heard of him before. [/b][/quote]

I don't know who he is either but I think he'll be the heaviest player on the team. Maybe he'll be good for some hard fouls and hogging up the lane.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
It says in his Bio that Mike Smith is related to "hacksaw" jim duggan. Do you think they will allow him to play defense with a 2"x4"?

isubig12

Apr 3, 2006
The heck with that guy, we ain't finishing no stinkin last place. We'll finish 6th place or higher.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Mike Smith graduated from Southeast Polk High School in 2004. He was an all-conference player in the CIML and led the league in blocks. He is about 6'7" and has a similar skill set to Marsden. I highly doubt he will see much playing time but will provide some good competition for the bigs in practice.

CloneI

Jun 5, 2006
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nedrick @ 06-27-06 1:09 pm) [post=5751]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> Just came across this preview...
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/preview/2006/134.htm

Looks like they don't give us much of a chance.

Let's hope GMac and the team can prove him wrong! [/b][/quote]

That was actually a prettyimpressive article, that guy knew a lot about us.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
I was impressed with his knowledge of the recruits and what not... it'd be interesting to know how guys like him get their info... but 12 of 12... not gonna happen. Here's to seeing another article by him in the future about ISU proving him wrong.

billdo00

Apr 13, 2006
i really wasn't impressed with what he knew about isu. he could have picked any of that up by one thread we would post on an isu site. he seemed to know that marsden and hubalek played last year and he thinks that our post will be out strong point with weak guards that will have to develop. i agree to an extent with the guards but we have rahshon coming back which is huge and two proven winning juco guards. i would have more faith in our guards at this point until jiri gets his head out of his ass and marsden learns a post move or two. we cant rebound with jiri on the 3pt line and marsden looking for 15 fters. i think jessen grey sounds like he will perform better than either so far. anyone that picks us 134th and 12th in the big 12 i wont trust. i understand we are rebuilding but give us SOME credit

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Yeah, as much as we'd like better things to be said, it's true.
Look at the Bears... last year a writer in SI said they were going to finish 3-13 as one of, if not the worst, team in the NFL. So much for that happening.

We'll just have to wait and let the Hilton Magic happen.

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
Even with all the new people coming in, I can't see ISU finishing behind Colorado, Nebraska, or Kansas State. I'd be upset if ISU finished any worse than 8th in the conference, and I think we have the talent to finish 6th.

Williamsafley

Apr 11, 2006
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(melt @ 06-28-06 8:51 am) [post=5887]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> Even with all the new people coming in, I can't see ISU finishing behind Colorado, Nebraska, or Kansas State. I'd be upset if ISU finished any worse than 8th in the conference, and I think we have the talent to finish 6th. [/b][/quote]

So who are we going to beat? We couldn't win because of lack of inside game. Bigs should

be better but it will be by the end of the year, and too late to make post season tourney. What

will help is new systems at the other schools. What has been recruiting success or lack of at

other Big XII schools?

cygoat

Apr 11, 2006
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ripvdub @ 06-27-06 4:28 pm) [post=5806]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> It says in his Bio that Mike Smith is related to "hacksaw" jim duggan. Do you think they will allow him to play defense with a 2"x4"? [/b][/quote]
<

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ripvdub @ 06-27-06 4:28 pm) [post=5806]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'> It says in his Bio that Mike Smith is related to "hacksaw" jim duggan. Do you think they will allow him to play defense with a 2"x4"? [/b][/quote]

That's one way to improve our defense!

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
Did you notice this little tidbit? "Walk-on forward Mike Smith, a transfer from Iowa Central Community College, will provide emergency depth in the paint." Who is this guy? I've never heard of him before. [/quote]

I believe he is playing in the Capital City League and he is none too impressive unless you are counting the time that he spends in the post area vs. Jiri who plays the half court line to the three point arc.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I keep seeing this Juri 3-point shooting bashing and have to wonder...

Could it be Juri has been coached to shoot threes at the same rate notches are made on Ron Jeremy's bedpost?

If Juri was told "don't shoot the three" I would think he'd listen. If not, he knows he'd get screamed at and/or benched. Now if he was told not to shoot it and did it anyways...shame on him - yet I doubt it.

It's not like he was told "don't ever get beat on the baseline" and did. While he does have a lot of control over that, there are players that will beat him.

But this is shooting a 3 - something Juri can completely control. And I doubt he'd go against the advice of a coach.

Just had to put that thought out there...