[COMMITTED] ‘21 6’4” Saf Malik Verdon

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'll hear no slander Lawrence White on this board, my friend. I think this is a misframing of their talent. Isheem Young is an elite talent. Azunna has had a servicable career. Miller and King are young but will be four year contributors one way or another. Would I want them as my starters if I'm aiming for a championship... not right now. It's always good to add talent.
I’m pretty sure he’d retract that “take” now, a few weeks later. I just decided not to tweak his nose on it. He’s said himself that freshmen McDonald and Chambers have looked very good lately.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah. At the time all that Hawkeye PR came out, I could have done that. Matter of fact, I’m pretty sure that I did. Here on CF. I’m not going to now.

I will mention that the list (pre current age) runs from guys like Leonard Johnson and Money Reynolds all the way back to early Eighties cornerback Ronnie Osborne.

The neat thing I recall about Ronnie was that he was second team large school all state in Florida at quarterback...as a freshman. The other three years he was first team all state.
Thank you. I never heard about Reynolds and Johnson being HS QBs.

Someone mentioned Amundson. I wouldn't include him on this list. It was my understanding that he came as a QB and filled in at RB because of issues at the position but then played QB when the incumbent left. I also wouldn't include players that came to ISU as QBs but then changed to WR, LB or DB.

I'm glad to know that ISU has been doing it for years. Thanks.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Austin Flynn was the first guy that came to mind for me.

I think the major reason HS QBs are being recruited at other positions now has to do with how prevalent spread type offenses have become at the HS level.