[COMMITTED] ‘21 6’4” Saf Malik Verdon

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I really like how this staff recruits high school QB's to play other positions in college. They are often the best athlete on their team. Some of our best players fit this category - Montgomery, Jones, Eisworth, hopefully Dean and others to follow.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I really like how this staff recruits high school QB's to play other positions in college. They are often the best athlete on their team. Some of our best players fit this category - Montgomery, Jones, Eisworth, hopefully Dean and others to follow.
Iowa did this for years and I was always disappointed that ISU didn't do it more. There were always a couple of WRs, DBs and maybe a LB or RB on their roster who was a former QB. Generally QBs have a feel for the game and understand the game as a whole more than most other players.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Iowa did this for years and I was always disappointed that ISU didn't do it more. There were always a couple of WRs, DBs and maybe a LB or RB on their roster who was a former QB. Generally QBs have a feel for the game and understand the game as a whole more than most other players.
And I never understood why people didn’t grasp that ISU did the exact same thing all along. Iowa just made a big deal out of doing it.

Gawd, I hate everyone being so Hawkeye-centric. Especially in Cyclone threads.

Reactions: aauummm

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And I never understood why people didn’t grasp that ISU did the exact same thing all along. Iowa just made a big deal out of doing it.

Gawd, I hate everyone being so Hawkeye-centric. Especially in Cyclone threads.
Interesting. I guess I never heard about a lot of Cyclones who were high school QBs who were recruited at ISU to play other positions in the late 80's and 90's. Can you fill me in?

TIA

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Interesting. I guess I never heard about a lot of Cyclones who were high school QBs who were recruited at ISU to play other positions in the late 80's and 90's. Can you fill me in?

TIA

Can you name all the hawx that were ex QBs specifically recruited as ex QBs to play another position there? TIA

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

The thing that Iowa had great success with was turning HS TEs into OL. Now a lot of those guys didn't play until they were RS juniors, but Iowa tends to play a lot of upperclassmen in the OL anyway. Hopefully ISU is finally going to get to the point where RS freshman are not forced into action. That being said, Remsburg and Simmons certainly look like they belong out there.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Can you name all the hawx that were ex QBs specifically recruited as ex QBs to play another position there? TIA
First, I wasn't talking to you. Second, there wasn't disagreement about Iowa using this strategy. I was told that ISU had been doing the same thing all along and that Iowa just publicized it. I simply asked for some of the players at ISU that we never knew about. I'm sure @Aclone can give me a quite a few names without too much trouble.

Reactions: GTO

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

TIA

Stan Hixon. Vinny Cerrato. Buddy Hardemon. George Amundsen. All in the 70’s. Successful teams. You’re on to something.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
First, I wasn't talking to you. Second, there wasn't disagreement about Iowa using this strategy. I was told that ISU had been doing the same thing all along and that Iowa just publicized it. I simply asked for some of the players at ISU that we never knew about. I'm sure @Aclone can give me a quite a few names without too much trouble.

LOL

My question was serious.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Yeah. At the time all that Hawkeye PR came out, I could have done that. Matter of fact, I’m pretty sure that I did. Here on CF. I’m not going to now.

I will mention that the list (pre current age) runs from guys like Leonard Johnson and Money Reynolds all the way back to early Eighties cornerback Ronnie Osborne.

The neat thing I recall about Ronnie was that he was second team large school all state in Florida at quarterback...as a freshman. The other three years he was first team all state.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Just a take:
The recruitment of the safety position is very telling to what they think of our current situation for the safety position.
We added three safeties last year so three safeties was not necessarily needed for this class. However, we added FOUR safeties (JUCO Langston) in this class.

Whenever we recruit a JUCO, it's an indication that their is some concern for that position. Bringing in four guys is pretty telling that they aren't thrilled with the talent that is at that positions.

Judging by what we have seen, Lawrence White, Azunna, Miller and King have been less than stellar this season and we need to improve. The only guy that has been solid is Isheem Young.
I'll hear no slander Lawrence White on this board, my friend. I think this is a misframing of their talent. Isheem Young is an elite talent. Azunna has had a servicable career. Miller and King are young but will be four year contributors one way or another. Would I want them as my starters if I'm aiming for a championship... not right now. It's always good to add talent.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron