Conference rival

Who is currently our biggest conference rival?

• Baylor

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Kansas

Votes: 70 29.3%
  • Kansas State

Votes: 144 60.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Oklahoma State

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • TCU

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Texas

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Texas Tech

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • West Virginia

Votes: 11 4.6%

• Total voters

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
KSU for football, I would just like to see them beat the Wizard. I actually like KSU as long as we aren't playing them. Like Al said they are a school a lot like us and their fans I've met are pretty nice.

Now for BB it's KU and f*ck them the rest of the season, Only time I'll remotely cheer for them is during the Tourney, but I support all the B12 teams in the tourney.

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
In football? None of the above. Kansas doesn't beat us nearly enough for that to be considered a rivalry, and we don't beat anyone else in the conference nearly enough to consider anyone else a rivalry. Sure, K-State is probably the closest thing to a rivalry as, with the exception of 2013 every single game has been a one-score game, but how can you consider it a rivalry when you haven't beaten them in a decade?

In basketball, clearly KU is the rivalry. From the inception of the Big 12 we have been the thorn in their side that they can't shake. For the longest time we were the one conference opponent that they didn't own in Lawrence, and we've had more success in Lawrence than any other conference opponent. Also, Hilton Coliseum is the one place in conference that KU has been vulnerable.

• Winner
Reactions: CycloneErik

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
When you lose 9 games in a row to a team that's out of state and have no history with them they aren't your rival. I voted Kansas due to basketball. Iowa is the only thing even close to a football rival right now.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
We didn't beat Iowa for 15 years and people thought they were still our out of conference rivals. KSU for me.

The game had a cute name (Cy-Hawk) with a cute trophy and people in the state tried to market the game as a rivalry, but no Hawkeye fan cared about the game other than the automatic W to their record, and few Cyclones fans, outside of the ones that would sell their souls as well as a few random body parts for a win, considered it a rivalry either because it was an automatic L to their record - and that's assuming anyone actually cared much about football during that time, and from the stories I've heard from that time, nobody really did.

You can call something a rivalry all you want, but unless the game means something to both teams, calling it a rivalry doesn't make it a rivalry, and when one team owns the series for more than a decade the game doesn't mean anything, therefore it cannot be a rivalry.

im4cyru

Mar 30, 2014
Always look at this as 'who do I least want to lose to?' That's Ku for K-State fans. I can't answer it for ISU but doubt anyone comes even close in-conference to Iowa.
That's only natural. Every school in the 12 has an instate rivalry, with the exception of Iowa State and WV; with whom we have little in common.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
KSU makes the most sense, but outside of the football heartbreaks it's pretty hard for me to hate them. Went to the game in Manhattan back in 2013, and I remember making the comment to my friend that it felt like we had roadtripped to ourselves.

I picked KU. Losing to them in FB sucks, the BB series has been competitive enough this decade to keep things interesting, and they are pretty easy to hate.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
This. Just because you haven't beaten someone in a while doesn't make the hatred any less real.

I challenge you to watch the second half of this game... pretend you are an ISU fan. I know you are a Tennessee fan. It's cool. But seriously. Just chill out on the couch and watch this ****.

We've lost 9 in a row but EVERY game with them is like this.... This is an insane way to lose. We had a blocked PAT to lose in a different year... holy hell.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I challenge you to watch the second half of this game... pretend you are an ISU fan. I know you are a Tennessee fan. It's cool. But seriously. Just chill out on the couch and watch this ****.

We've lost 9 in a row but EVERY game with them is like this.... This is an insane way to lose. We had a blocked PAT to lose in a different year... holy hell.

I would rather punch myself in the groin than watch that video.
Heck, I'd do that with scissors before watching that farce again.

Jjflm62

Aug 2, 2017

Reasons like that is why the majority of people on here voted for the kittens as the biggest conference rival. I'm new here and already don't like them. I'm trying to embrace the culture and let the hatred flow through me.

Reactions: CloneGuy8

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
That's a good point. You should make him a playlist, and we all check in to see when he cracks.
Include such classics as "We didn't know the down."

I don't think he will. He seems mentally tough. Might take a while to win him over, but I like the cut of his jib.

If he actually watches that game though... all bets are off.

Reactions: Jjflm62