Conference Standings: We're Doing Alright

Spam

May 21, 2008
This looks better than I thought, especially for a team that' already got the 2 toughest conference games out of the way. Our non-conference was a disaster, but the conference season could still turn out to be pretty good (or pretty bad, I suppose)

conf.jpg

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This looks better than I thought, especially for a team that' already got the 2 toughest conference games out of the way. Our non-conference was a disaster, but the conference season could still turn out to be pretty good (or pretty bad, I suppose)

conf.jpg

My glass isn't as half full as yours just yet. No wins out of the bottom 3rd just means their dumpster is burning just a little hotter than ours at the moment

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
30% of the conference undefeated this far in means some teams are gonna have horrible records. At least we aren't 0'fer like KU, KSU and WVU.

Crazy thing is I don't think the league is as unbalanced as the records suggest. Outside of KU anybody might jump up and bight anyone.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
2-3 is respectable as our realistic ceiling was probably 3-2. A better non-conference would have done wonders though.

Shanked kick away from being 4-4. Really we just played sloppy all around against Toledo. Unbelievable they are unbeaten, they really did not impress. Almost lost to one of our worst performances playing at home.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We still have Ou and OSU....

The #3 and #4 best teams on the schedule. Crazy as it sounds, we are past the "hard" part of a 9 game Big 12 schedule so we only have to play a couple top 15 teams now in 2 of our last 4.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
The annual OU stomping is coming. That is a given. I can't quite get a read on OSU, however. They haven't looked that great, but they always seem to find a way to win. They did also manage to drop 70 on Tech yesterday after a pretty slow start. I have a feeling we will lose, but it will be a much closer game than people think.

Maybe we could be this years version of the typical K state? Look underwhelming in OOC and early in the conf season, but then magically pull together a nice ball control offense and grind the crap out of opposing teams to squeak out some wins?

As fans, our heads could also be getting a bit big after beating a pretty poor Texas squad last night. Time will tell what's more true, but the good news is the team looked pretty dominating during stretches of the game, in all phases. Forcing 3-n-out after 3-n-out on defense, and Lanning converting 3rd downs at will.

Unfortunately, our two most "winnable games" are at the end of the season on the road. If we end up losing to OU and OSU, I hope the guys are still playing for pride(and probably CPR's job) to try and win those last two games to get us to 5.

Despite the poor OOC showing, I think managing 4 wins in Big12 play would be a big step forward for this program, and could salvage Rhoads' job.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The annual OU stomping is coming. That is a given. I can't quite get a read on OSU, however. They haven't looked that great, but they always seem to find a way to win. They did also manage to drop 70 on Tech yesterday after a pretty slow start. I have a feeling we will lose, but it will be a much closer game than people think.

Maybe we could be this years version of the typical K state? Look underwhelming in OOC and early in the conf season, but then magically pull together a nice ball control offense and grind the crap out of opposing teams to squeak out some wins?

As fans, our heads could also be getting a bit big after beating a pretty poor Texas squad last night. Time will tell what's more true, but the good news is the team looked pretty dominating during stretches of the game, in all phases. Forcing 3-n-out after 3-n-out on defense, and Lanning converting 3rd downs at will.

Unfortunately, our two most "winnable games" are at the end of the season on the road. If we end up losing to OU and OSU, I hope the guys are still playing for pride(and probably CPR's job) to try and win those last two games to get us to 5.

Despite the poor OOC showing, I think managing 4 wins in Big12 play would be a big step forward for this program, and could salvage Rhoads' job.

Had we not played permanently offsides football against Toledo I think we have a shot at a bowl by getting 2 of 3 against KSU, WVU, OK State. As it is, just too steep a climb to have to sweep all 3.

Obviously we played like crap against Tech and second half of Iowa, but it's not like we can rationally claim any sort of hypothetical there. Toledo played awful and we self destructed but still nearly won.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
Had we not played permanently offsides football against Toledo I think we have a shot at a bowl by getting 2 of 3 against KSU, WVU, OK State. As it is, just too steep a climb to have to sweep all 3.

Obviously we played like crap against Tech and second half of Iowa, but it's not like we can rationally claim any sort of hypothetical there. Toledo played awful and we self destructed but still nearly won.

Agreed. It's unfortunate that spotty play in the OOC could cost ISU a bowl game this year, but it's not like winning one the road against KSU and WVU is a given anyway, it would just make that climb a bit less steep.

I still think 5 is enough to save Paul's job, especially given the fact that it would come with his most wins in conference since he's been here, when the conference is arguable at an all time high in terms of competition.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Unless we go to a bowl, this is pointless.

A 4-5 conference record against possible the top 10 conference SOS in country is a sign of improvement after the past two seasons and this year's non-conf. A 2-7 record would be more questions. Important work yet to be done this season.

BodeClone

May 15, 2014
A 4-5 conference record against possible the top 10 conference SOS in country is a sign of improvement after the past two seasons and this year's non-conf. A 2-7 record would be more questions. Important work yet to be done this season.

This is also his most talented team in the last 3 years. If we go 3-6 he's still probably gone, if he goes 4-5 then there will be a never ending debate if he should stay, 5-4 then I'm on board for 1 more ride.