Confirmed: McDermott will be back next season

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Please point me to where Pollard said his expectations were met. There are a multitude of other reasons not to fire someone other than that "expectations were met".

I guess, personally, my expectation of our athletic director, especially one who made statements setting the bar for our basketball program very high, would be that his expectations are higher than the bottom 1/4th of the conference at some point in 4 years. If my expectations for our athletic director's discretionary ability are too high, then I guess that makes my expectations too high.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I imagine the people surprised by this are the same ones that were surprised when HB went to NC.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Yup, and most of them are impatient/only were ISU fans through the good years.

Nope. wrong.

Just turned 44 and have seen quite a bit of basketball.

I will always for for the school I attended....but it is not hard to see serious issues going on with the MBB program.

Next year will be the first time in 11 years I will not be seated in the lower bowl/attending games. Just cannot justify the expenditure.

I believe the program is in the wrong hands and sinking fast....but I would gladly eat crow if proven wrong.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I guess, personally, my expectation of our athletic director, especially one who made statements setting the bar for our basketball program very high, would be that his expectations are higher than the bottom 1/4th of the conference at some point in 4 years. If my expectations for our athletic director's discretionary ability are too high, then I guess that makes my expectations too high.

Wow. Way to completely miss the entire point of my post.

Do you really think Pollard and everyone who wants McDermott back's expectations have been met?

Because that is absolutely not true. I don't think anyone's expectations have been met.

But just because your expectations aren't met doesn't automatically lead to firing someone.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
How is it a "clear outlier" when we've had 7 other games that were within a couple baskets of being the same result? we've played that competitively with several other good teams this year, we just haven't gotten the result. This time we did. It may not be a sign of anything to come, but it wasn't a "clear outlier".

Really?

59-67. 18-46. 1-20. 6-10. 4-12. 4-12. 4-12. 0-3. 0 postseason tournament invitations.

There is no arguing the hard facts. There they are. I have coached a team to as many wins in the Big12 tournament as Greg McDermott.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Next year will be the first time in 11 years I will not be seated in the lower bowl/attending games. Just cannot justify the expenditure.

Count me along with you. Along with six others that I know of in rows 13-14 of Section 134.
First time no mens bb season tix in 9 years.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
How is it a "clear outlier" when we've had 7 other games that were within a couple baskets of being the same result? we've played that competitively with several other good teams this year, we just haven't gotten the result. This time we did. It may not be a sign of anything to come, but it wasn't a "clear outlier".

The outcome is absolutely an outlier and I assume that's what he was referring to. It is not just in the case of the McD era but also over the course of the entire program's history.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Count me along with you. Along with six others that I know of in rows 13-14 of Section 134.
Yet you have so kindly let us know how much you donate to the University-if you can afford, why not support the team through thick and thin?

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
Yup, and most of them are impatient/only were ISU fans through the good years.

Wrong. 42 years old and have been following ISU BB since 1982-83 (Freshman yr of HS.) I've seen a lot of good/great BB in that time - never have seen an entire 4 year era of incompetence like I've seen these last 4 years.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

AWESOME!!! I can not thank you enough for leaving so the rest of us can get better seats!!! If you post your address along with the rest of the people around you leaving I will personally write each person a hand written thank you!

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Yet you have so kindly let us know how much you donate to the University-if you can afford, why not support the team through thick and thin?

They are what we like to call, "bandwagon" fans. Oh boy, I'm going to feel the wrath of some people making that comment.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Wow. Way to completely miss the entire point of my post.

Do you really think Pollard and everyone who wants McDermott back's expectations have been met?

Because that is absolutely not true. I don't think anyone's expectations have been met.

But just because your expectations aren't met doesn't automatically lead to firing someone.

If in 4 years of work, not only expectations have not been met, but there has been little to no progress towards meeting those expectations, then yes, I think that should lead to firing someone.

I think your argument is that Pollard's "expectations" may be an NCAA tournament, top 4 Big 12 finish, ect. and he shouldn't be punished for not having yet met those higher goals. That is fine. But what I am saying is that we have seen no, or perhaps if you are being generous you could say nominal, progress towards those expecatations. It is that lack of progress towards expectations that leads me to believe he should without a doubt be fired.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa

Why should they bother buying tickets just to do so? Last year I couldn't even give away some of the best seats in the building, I would hate to have had seats this year.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If in 4 years of work, not only expectations have not been met, but there has been little to no progress towards meeting those expectations, then yes, I think that should lead to firing someone.

I think your argument is that Pollard's "expectations" may be an NCAA tournament, top 4 Big 12 finish, ect. and he shouldn't be punished for not having yet met those higher goals. That is fine. But what I am saying is that we have seen no, or perhaps if you are being generous you could say nominal, progress towards those expecatations. It is that lack of progress towards expectations that leads me to believe he should without a doubt be fired.

1) There is more to "punishment" or accountability that fired vs. not fired.

2) That's not what you were saying. You were saying that since Pollard didn't fire McDermott he must have had his expectations met.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
They are what we like to call, "bandwagon" fans. Oh boy, I'm going to feel the wrath of some people making that comment.

So we have created a new definition of "bandwagon fans" I see. They are now defined as someone who has watched Iowa State religiously since they were a kid, and are currently frustrated with the direction of a certain program, have expressed their discontent, but still maintains the right to be happy for the team when the circumstances warrant it.

That seems to be what you are suggesting. Disgruntled fan and bandwagon fan are not the same things.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
So we have created a new definition of "bandwagon fans" I see. They are now defined as someone who has watched Iowa State religiously since they were a kid, and are currently frustrated with the direction of a certain program, have expressed their discontent, but still maintains the right to be happy for the team when the circumstances warrant it.

That seems to be what you are suggesting. Disgruntled fan and bandwagon fan are not the same things.

Are you going to buy season tickets once they are good again? If the answer is yes then you are clearly a bandwagon fan. Thats the true definition of what one is.

Reactions: wxman1

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
1) There is more to "punishment" or accountability that fired vs. not fired.

2) That's not what you were saying. You were saying that since Pollard didn't fire McDermott he must have had his expectations met.

And I stand by that statement. While Pollard's overall expectations may not have been met (i.e. NCAA birth, Big 12 top 4 finish) at this point in time he must have expectations in pursuance of that goal. Apparently, those expectations in the progress towards meeting those goals were met, and thus he was retained. I don't see how he feels like we are on track to meeting his goals, and thus had met is expectations, but whatever...I suppose thats why he gets paid the big bucks.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

not really disgruntled fans may be disappointed but still get season tickets have give money because it's what they love and are "fanatics" for. Bandwagon fans jump off and go crazy because they don't like something or aren't happy about it and stop buying tickets/donating, which is what they are doing.