Cory Johnson

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
cybsball20, you're dead on. CJ blocks out his man better than anyone else on the team and his shot looks dang good from the top of the key.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Why do we have Cory front taller guys when we have no help behind? He plays his best post D when he plays behind the guy, mainly because he is one of the stronger players in the league. He can force the guy off the block and not let him back in. However, this year we have him fronting taller guys with no backside help? I really think he plays some solid post D but sometimes wonder about the strategies...

The "book" on post defense is to front the offensive player if your defender is shorter. Probably in excess of 90% of coaches believe in this philosophy. You likely think we have no backside help for one of two reasons...the defense doesn't rotate until the ball is passed inside or the defense was slow to rotate and provide the backside help after the entry pass was made. At any rate, if you allow a taller post to catch it with no interference down low they will generally turn and score, turn and score with a foul, or get fouled in the act. Additionally, what you term as "forcing the guy off the block and not letting him back in" typically results in a foul being called on the defender.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Dimitri Hill was a pretty good center at 6'4" for a final four team. I think the center for George Mason when they made their run was about 6'5". Corliss Williamson has made a good living for himself at a 6'6" 4/5. What about Barkley? Rodman? I think Cory CAN play at this level and do very well... He is stronger and quicker than most 4/5 guys and also has some pretty decent hops. Sure he doesn't have alot of rebounds but he almost always has his guy cleared out and out of the rebounding picture. Another thing he does very well, probably better than anoyone on the team is the post entry past from the high post. With his ability to hig to 15-17' jumper he can be very dangerous against a zone. Flashing to the high post and making the entry pass if they guard him and hitting the jumper if they leave him open.

Clearly, there are some players that "play bigger than they are"...you've mentioned some of them. I don't think Cory is someone that "plays bigger than he is".

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The "book" on post defense is to front the offensive player if your defender is shorter. Probably in excess of 90% of coaches believe in this philosophy. You likely think we have no backside help for one of two reasons...the defense doesn't rotate until the ball is passed inside or the defense was slow to rotate and provide the backside help after the entry pass was made. At any rate, if you allow a taller post to catch it with no interference down low they will generally turn and score, turn and score with a foul, or get fouled in the act. Additionally, what you term as "forcing the guy off the block and not letting him back in" typically results in a foul being called on the defender.

So if guys aren't rotating then Cory is getting a bad rap for his post D. As far as 'forcing a guy off the block' I know that its not legal, but you can 'stand your ground' and not let a guy get good position, something Cory has done very well against taller guys.

lomashad

Oct 19, 2006
I love him. He knows basketball. He pust himself in the right positions on offense and defense. He goes up against players that are either bigger or faster, but he finds a way to succeed.

He definitely needs more PT next year when Rahshon and Jiri leave.

I think he needs more PT this year!!

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
cyclone #1 is living in a fantasy world if he/she thinks that forcing someone away from the block is usually called a foul in NCAA basketball. That's pretty much called "good defense" until the offensive player actually gets the ball, then the refs will sometimes tighten it up on the shoving.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
So if guys aren't rotating then Cory is getting a bad rap for his post D. As far as 'forcing a guy off the block' I know that its not legal, but you can 'stand your ground' and not let a guy get good position, something Cory has done very well against taller guys.

That is absolutely correct!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
cyclone #1 is living in a fantasy world if he/she thinks that forcing someone away from the block is usually called a foul in NCAA basketball. That's pretty much called "good defense" until the offensive player actually gets the ball, then the refs will sometimes tighten it up on the shoving.

They certainly allow a good bit of "shoving" down low but when it gets too one-sided (ie: a player is forced away from the block and kept away from the block) they call the foul most of the time. I look forward to seeing Cory try to "shove" Darrell Arthur off the block!

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I doubt you'd ever look forward to seeing Cory try to "shove" anyone while on the basketball court because you've made it abundantly clear that if he's doing anything besides wiping the sweat off our 4-star caliber recruits' foreheads, then something is very, very wrong.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Dimitri Hill was a pretty good center at 6'4" for a final four team. I think the center for George Mason when they made their run was about 6'5". Corliss Williamson has made a good living for himself at a 6'6" 4/5. What about Barkley? Rodman? I think Cory CAN play at this level and do very well... He is stronger and quicker than most 4/5 guys and also has some pretty decent hops. Sure he doesn't have alot of rebounds but he almost always has his guy cleared out and out of the rebounding picture. Another thing he does very well, probably better than anoyone on the team is the post entry past from the high post. With his ability to hig to 15-17' jumper he can be very dangerous against a zone. Flashing to the high post and making the entry pass if they guard him and hitting the jumper if they leave him open.

Ha let's compare him to some all time greats. There are 2 HUGE differences between these players and CJ. They were taller and stronger (much much stronger). And they were 5 times more athletic than CJ. Do you remember how athletic Barkley was back in the day? How many times do you see CJ catching a ball on a fast break and dunking it in a guys face?!?!

And now you have made me do what I didn't want to do and that is be negative towards Cory. To me he is what is still good about college athletics

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
For everybody getting annoyed in this thread, this works great.

n16930950_35689046_1960.jpg

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
For everybody getting annoyed in this thread, this works great.

n16930950_35689046_1960.jpg

Good strategy. I don't use the "ignore" feature, but I do whisper "Whatever!" and "Talk to the hand" under my breath when I disagree with someone. Sometimes even "NOT!"

I'm very sophisticated.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Why do we have Cory front taller guys when we have no help behind? He plays his best post D when he plays behind the guy, mainly because he is one of the stronger players in the league. He can force the guy off the block and not let him back in. However, this year we have him fronting taller guys with no backside help? I really think he plays some solid post D but sometimes wonder about the strategies...

This is a great, great observation.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
They certainly allow a good bit of "shoving" down low but when it gets too one-sided (ie: a player is forced away from the block and kept away from the block) they call the foul most of the time. I look forward to seeing Cory try to "shove" Darrell Arthur off the block!

You look forward to it? It sounds like you are rooting for Cory to fail. Again, I highly question your true loyalty to ISU if you even imply that you enjoy watching one of our own fail.

By the way, you theory on fronting the post is completely off base, especially for someone with Cory's size / strength.

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola
I like cory he is a help off the bench he may not score 20 a game or get 10 boards but he is there for support a breather for big men and he hustles and gives us quality minutes he also plays good D. He has two more years to be here and he has plenty of chances to show what he has got

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I think one thing that gets lost in these posts sometimes is that not every player we recruit is going to be a superstar or even necessarily a four-year starter. Every team needs some role players on the roster. I think a perfect case in point in Jessan Grey from last season. Didn't start much, if at all, but could come in and make the occasional long-range shot.

Right now Cory is a role player, and there's nothing wrong with that, even if he remains a role player two years from now when he's a senior. He'll have his chances to work his way up to the rotation, and if he ever does become a starter, he will certainly have earned it.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
I think one thing that gets lost in these posts sometimes is that not every player we recruit is going to be a superstar or even necessarily a four-year starter. Every team needs some role players on the roster. I think a perfect case in point in Jessan Grey from last season. Didn't start much, if at all, but could come in and make the occasional long-range shot.

Right now Cory is a role player, and there's nothing wrong with that, even if he remains a role player two years from now when he's a senior. He'll have his chances to work his way up to the rotation, and if he ever does become a starter, he will certainly have earned it.

Good post!

CJ is a great guy, and be may not have as much natural ability as some of the guys on the team, but he does work harder than most of them. Hopefully in the end all that hard work will be rewarded.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron