Cory Johnson

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Just reading the boards and looking at the general attitudes toward some of our players can be fun and frustrating all at the same time. I wanted to post some actual numbers and thoughts on Cory Johnson, coming off a career game against B-C that means something/nothing/all of the above depending on who you ask.

For those of you who want stars and players recruited by big name schools, his list included Marquette, Miami (FL), Minnesota, Wisconsin, Georgetown, Illinois, and Boston College.

He was a candidate for Minnesota player of the year in 2006, and compared to his fellow candidates he is stacking up fairly well.

Cory is averaging 3.4 points, .3 assists and 1.3 rebounds per game.

His competition:

Bryce Webster committed to the U of M but is playing at a JUCO with the intent to go to Utah State.

Four-star Isaiah Dahlman of Michigan State, who we were recruiting pretty hard is 6-6, 175! After hearing that, I wasn't surprised to learn that he has dealt with injuries. Last season he averaged 3.7 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game in 15.5 minutes. This year that has slipped to 1.6 points, .4 rebounds and no assists per game in 4.4 minutes.

Cameron Rundles is playing solidly for Montana, with 8.6 points, 4 assists and 2.5 rebounds a game. His biggest games this year have come against some of their weaker competition. He was a three star recruit.

Ryan Wittman is playing for Cornell and looking good, with 15.3 ppg, .7 assists, and 5.7 rebounds. He was a 1 star recruit. I would expect that Cory would have similar numbers if playing in the Ivy League, but who can say for sure.

From a recent historical perspective, Johnson compares decently to players from the past. Keep in mind that he is only a sophmore and averages fewer minutes than these players did in each of these season. I expect him to continue to improve as he ages and matures.

Damion Staple:
Junior year: 4.1 points, 2.8 rebounds
Senior year: 5.8 points, 4.6 rebounds

Shawn Taggart:
Freshman year: 5.6 points, 3.6 rebounds

Jessan Gray:
Junior year: 3.5 points, 2.5 rebounds
Senior year: 4.3 points, 1.9 rebounds

Jiri Hubalek:
Sophmore year: 8.6 points, 3.8 rebounds
Junior year: 11.7 points, 6.8 rebounds

I am not trying to tell everyone that Cory Johnson is the second coming of Marcus Fizer, but it's also not accurate to write him off as a lost cause. He has done as much per minute as most of the post players in the recent history of Iowa State as well as his peers from Minnesota at this stage of his career.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I would sure hope there is noone writing him off. He is one of my faves. He is an absolute hustler on the floor and gives it 110 percent all of the time. I was very proud of him this last game.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Cory also brings a lot of energy and hustle to the team. He's not afraid to take a charge either.

His post defense could use a little work though.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I don't remember ever thinking he was a lost cause. I knew he had potential the first time I saw him play last year, and he's been consistently one of the hardest workers coming off the bench for the team. I think a lot more people on this board can agree with me.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
One or two people will rip a guy and suddenly the "general attitude" is he stinks.

I saw a very limited number of people on that side of the fence. Most think he's a decent player for us and a few thing he's far better than he really is.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
I think Cory gets better the more minutes he plays; whenever he's played extended minutes he seems to make some nice plays, particularly on offense.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Sitting in the crowd at Hilton, I can tell you that Cory is a fan favorite probably more than any other player on our team. You really can't help but like his attitude/play if you're watching him in person. I think that isn't translated at times through the t.v.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I love him. He knows basketball. He pust himself in the right positions on offense and defense. He goes up against players that are either bigger or faster, but he finds a way to succeed.

He definitely needs more PT next year when Rahshon and Jiri leave.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I agree. A lot of big men that have came through ISU have had slow starts. Cory will be nice player when his days at ISU are done. It just takes time. I think some people watch ESPN and see younger players doing good and think ISU should have those players. Well these players are few and far between. Most post players at the college level take time to develop. A player that hustles is never a bad thing.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I love Cory Johnson. He brings hustle to the team and is a spark of the bench but....

let's look at who he played the other night. BC has only one guy over 6-6. Cory is no taller than that and probably closer to 6-5. He was able to play with guys that are less talented and the same size has him which made him look better. When he plays against real teams he will struggle to score, rebound, play defense b/c he is undersized for the 4/5 position and is not athletic enough to make up for it.

I hope everyone on the team plays w/ the same attitude and desire as CJ but the fact is that he will probably never be more than an 8 or 9 on our team

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
This is exactly what I tried to say yesterday, but SOMEONE didn't agree!

Now if only Rahshon didnt suck at basketball.............Im totally kidding, dont beat me up. :wink:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Cory also brings a lot of energy and hustle to the team. He's not afraid to take a charge either.

His post defense could use a little work though.

Why do we have Cory front taller guys when we have no help behind? He plays his best post D when he plays behind the guy, mainly because he is one of the stronger players in the league. He can force the guy off the block and not let him back in. However, this year we have him fronting taller guys with no backside help? I really think he plays some solid post D but sometimes wonder about the strategies...

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I made a point in another thread that CJ deserves the 10 minutes per game that he is getting. Not more , not less, just stay at 10 until something changes.

For the less than 10 (small) crowd, you can not ignore his hustle and his ability to score.

For the more than 10 (large) crowd, you better look at his stat lines in the games that were lost. It's pretty clear that at this point in his career, CJ is a non-factor against the better teams on the schedule while cleaning up against the little sisters of the poor. The problem is that we will face a lot tougher teams than the Bradleys, Minnesotas, UNIs, and Drakes against whom CJ was not effective. I'm not saying that the rest of the team necessarily did much better. Simply that someone has to produce when it matters to earn more playing time. CJ could very well have the ability to step up and improve his performance at which time his playing time should and will increase.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I love Cory Johnson. He brings hustle to the team and is a spark of the bench but....

let's look at who he played the other night. BC has only one guy over 6-6. Cory is no taller than that and probably closer to 6-5. He was able to play with guys that are less talented and the same size has him which made him look better. When he plays against real teams he will struggle to score, rebound, play defense b/c he is undersized for the 4/5 position and is not athletic enough to make up for it.

I hope everyone on the team plays w/ the same attitude and desire as CJ but the fact is that he will probably never be more than an 8 or 9 on our team

This is spot on.

To small to play post at 6-5 or 6-6 and not athletic enough to play the perimeter. If he is ever better than 8th or 9th on our team then we are for certain a cellar dweller in the Big 12.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm probably with you on the 10-12 minutes per game thing. However, a lot of our problems in our losses (and wins) have been the guards not being able to get the bigger guys the ball on the block. Our post players will flash and be open but it seemed like our guards were always a second slow seeing them and then had to pass on giving them the ball down low. This is something that CJ and the rest of our "bigs" can't control

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Dimitri Hill was a pretty good center at 6'4" for a final four team. I think the center for George Mason when they made their run was about 6'5". Corliss Williamson has made a good living for himself at a 6'6" 4/5. What about Barkley? Rodman? I think Cory CAN play at this level and do very well... He is stronger and quicker than most 4/5 guys and also has some pretty decent hops. Sure he doesn't have alot of rebounds but he almost always has his guy cleared out and out of the rebounding picture. Another thing he does very well, probably better than anoyone on the team is the post entry past from the high post. With his ability to hig to 15-17' jumper he can be very dangerous against a zone. Flashing to the high post and making the entry pass if they guard him and hitting the jumper if they leave him open.