Could HB be a bust?

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
I just finished watching that Ejim highlight video and came away very impressed. He seems to be very athletic and smooth.

Got me thinking about missing out on getting HB. When I saw his highlights on the news (which was rare because I live in KC and only could see them when visiting) they weren't as impressive as all the hype built them up to be. I understand that all of the experts couldn't be wrong about HB but I am just curious to know from the people that has seen him in person what you think.

With North Carolina down right now is there any way he gets there and winning doesn't come so easy or he isn't a star right away and finds his way back to ames?

Our luck - he would go to UNI to be with little Mac.

Sorry for the HB thread and I will end it by saying that I really wanted him and it was nice to actually be in the running for a player of his caliber. Still hoping he ends up at Iowa State somehow.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't think Ejim was a fallback position, so that's awesome. I am really looking forward to this guy.

Since there will be someone mentioning overhyping, might as well do it. From the highlight video, I see no reason not to expect 55 ppg, 25 rbg, and a solid 13 bpg in the non-conference season. Once he has his feet under him, and conference season starts, those numbers should all double. And he'll never have a freshman wall.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I just finished watching that Ejim highlight video and came away very impressed. He seems to be very athletic and smooth.

Got me thinking about missing out on getting HB. When I saw his highlights on the news (which was rare because I live in KC and only could see them when visiting) they weren't as impressive as all the hype built them up to be. I understand that all of the experts couldn't be wrong about HB but I am just curious to know from the people that has seen him in person what you think.

With North Carolina down right now is there any way he gets there and winning doesn't come so easy or he isn't a star right away and finds his way back to ames?

Our luck - he would go to UNI to be with little Mac.

Sorry for the HB thread and I will end it by saying that I really wanted him and it was nice to actually be in the running for a player of his caliber. Still hoping he ends up at Iowa State somehow.

He may not live up to the hype but he'll never be A cyclone.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Chances of Barnes being a bust are 5%. The guy could be a top 5 pick in next years draft if they would let him.

So no, he will not be a bust

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

I hear what you are saying but you have to remember that it is a "highlight video." The video is all his best plays. I am sure you could make even an average player look great on one of those videos.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
absolutely he could be. he could also be the best player to ever play college basketball. as MNclone said, only time will tell.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
HB wont be a bust... the thing about HB is, he's not really a highlight video type of player. He does everything exceptionally well and never tries to do to much. He just produces. It's effortless for him.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
in college, I doubt it. if he's drafted very high in the pros, possibly. all depends what your idea of bust is.

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If you watch HB play in person... he is clearly on a totally different level than anyone else on the court and it isn't even close. Barring injury he'll be very successful at North Carolina.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
HB will play the whole time he is in the game with great effort. It has taken all year for our team to learn this lesson.

Bardman

Dec 7, 2009
Mesa, AZ
HB is still a raw athlete. he is not a flashy player and his highlights reflect that. what the experts see in him is his potential, athleticism, intelligence and willingness to learn and develop. his body type is perfect for NBA and i see him being a trevor ariza type player (he has a 7 foot wingspan, ariza a 7'2"). his weaknesses wont be hard to improve over the next few years and his ceiling is super high. the sky is the limit with HB and in the right environment, he will thrive. Could he be a bust? thats a possibility with any highly touted prospect but his potential and athleticism alone is worth the risk for most NBA teams...

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I watched Ames play Sioux City North at Wells Fargo Arena last night and lets just say that HB and Doug Mac were like men playing against preschoolers... ok maybe they weren't that dominant, but they looked really good.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Of course he could be a bust, I think the odds of that happening are very slim, but I'd guess the odds of him not living up to all the hype could be higher.