CR Gazette Letter to Editor: "Foul disparity helped ISU beat UI" (THREAD BUMP)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Re: CR Gazette Letter to Editor: "Foul disparity helped ISU beat UI"

I like you, Carvers, but this is serious fail. You totally skipped the best part of that letter. The letter was written to suggest that the official needing to catch a flight made him decide to ignore Fran's timeout call because he didn't think he could get to his Saturday 11 a.m. game if the game went to OT.

I was just about crying I was laughing so hard reading that one.

Well, I just assumed that was his lame attempt to make it relevant a couple of weeks after the fact, or lessen the sour grapes aspect, but it was all fail anyway.:biglaugh:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

Did the "foul disparity" cause Zach McCabe to brick the wide-open, game-tying three pointer attempt?

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin

Well... Iowa has had the 8th most amount of free throw attempts and is 4th in free throws made...

Iowa State is not even in the top 40.

Such an injustice Iowa has undergone in losing to ISU.

ST8R

Jan 2, 2008

[h=4]Team Stat Comparison[/h]
NEB

IOWA

Points5767
FG Made-Attempted20-67 (.299)22-48 (.458)
3P Made-Attempted5-18 (.278)1-6 (.167)
FT Made-Attempted12-18 (.667)22-39 (.564)
Fouls (Tech/Flagrant)28 (0/0)17 (0/0)

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Someone should copy and paste so the website doesn't get more hits from people reading it....

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010

Back in the Tom Davis era their philosophy was to make more free throws than the opponent attempted and UI was very successful at it. Seems a little like sour grapes to even bring something like this up.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

Back in the Tom Davis era their philosophy was to make more free throws than the opponent attempted and UI was very successful at it. Seems a little like sour grapes to even bring something like this up.

That's pretty much every team/coaches philosophy.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Two excellent Iowa basketball teams (Iowa State and the University of Iowa) met and played at Iowa City Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Dec. 12. It was a tossup in who might win.

From my perspective, it wasn’t that Iowa State won the game, but the University of Iowa lost the game. I believe there was one big factor why the University of Iowa lost — fouls called on the behalf of each team were way out of proportion. Iowa State had 13 foul shots vs. the University of Iowa’s 13 foul shots.

One could look at this and see Iowa State earned 10 points vs. the University of Iowa earning 12. Had there been a close balance in “callsâ€￾ going into the final minutes, the University of Iowa may have been less than 17 points behind with a little over a minute to play.

You cannot play the game over, but I believe this was a big factor in the University of Iowa’s loss. Coach Fran McCaffrey might have thought it wouldn’t do our team any good bringing this to the attention of the referees at this point in time.

David H. Burke (probably)

Cedar Rapids

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

I support this kind of thread necromancy.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

What's with both Iowa and Iowa State fans constantly insisting that the other school is 'little brother'? It's such a lame put down and gets really annoying after a while.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia

Let alone that game was alot farther apart than 15. We kinda slowed down in the last 5 minutes