Crazy thing happened today, what would you do?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Also, in case anyone is wondering, wife is still upset. I guess telling her that I didn’t regret chasing the guy but I did regret not catching him was not right thing to say.
do you have life insurance?

if so, she shouldn’t care that much

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Things just happen and you react. I got robbed in Rome at 3 am and I chased the guy all the way to the getaway car and then jumped onto the open passenger door and was hanging on like MacGyver as they tried to drive off. One of the dudes kicked me off and I went skidding onto the pavement. No idea why I did any of it. Just a pure reaction and a couple of bottles of wine in my system.

Reactions: NWICY and Proton

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
If I'm Dwayne "the rock" Johnson with a 9mm, I would chase the Asshat. But I'm far from it, so I would steer clear and let law enforcement do it.
I was a "hell no" the second the word "run" was mentioned. I would have died with or without the crook having a weapon:)

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and jcyclonee

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I know you kid. Lol. But it does make me feel a little better that she cares. She would be much better off financially with me gone. lol.

My ex-wife (emphasis on ex here) was totally against me getting a motorcycle when we lived in Des Moines.

Fast forward to California where lane splitting is a thing and it's thunderdome on the 405

She gave the green light then.

Who said romance is dead? I mean she seemed comfortable with my demise, but ya know...

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
Update. Not for a law enforcement standpoint, I doubt that goes anywhere. But it turns out the same thing happened a few weeks back on the other side of the building. Broken car windows and nearly everyone reporting that nothing was stolen. Except for 1 lady had her purse in her car. They didn’t steal her purse, just the gun she had in it. We are thinking they are looking for guns to use it greater crimes or sell to gangs. Makes sense that 4 of the vehicles yesterday were pickup trucks. They probably assume pickup truck drivers are more likely to carry. The other 3 vehicles were high end sports cars. Also probably assume people with a valuable car are more likely to carry.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Update. Not for a law enforcement standpoint, I doubt that goes anywhere. But it turns out the same thing happened a few weeks back on the other side of the building. Broken car windows and nearly everyone reporting that nothing was stolen. Except for 1 lady had her purse in her car. They didn’t steal her purse, just the gun she had in it. We are thinking they are looking for guns to use it greater crimes or sell to gangs. Makes sense that 4 of the vehicles yesterday were pickup trucks. They probably assume pickup truck drivers are more likely to car. The other 3 vehicles were high end sports cars. Also probably assume people with a valuable car are more likely to carry.

All the more reason chasing after this guy was a bad idea.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
All the more reason chasing after this guy was a bad idea.
Probably. I’ve never been accused of making rationale split second decisions. All joking aside, I probably wouldn’t do it again. It was my first instinct at the time. Wasn’t really thinking about my own safety. Next time I will.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Guessing he didnt know you were there. If he was going to shoot he would have done it when your door opened or he saw the first signs of you. You were a sitting duck inside the vehicle so getting out and making noise was going to scare them off.

Smash and grabbers are not the likeliest to be armed. They seem to like to hit and run at first issue. What did you wife expect you to do? If you sat there quietly he would have kept smashing windows most likely. Until he came to yours
They're breaking the glass with something, so I wouldn't say unarmed. It's his place of employment so I'd assume the cars may be customers or coworkers. I'd do my best to run them off and call the cops but property isn't worth the risks.

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames
Update. Not for a law enforcement standpoint, I doubt that goes anywhere. But it turns out the same thing happened a few weeks back on the other side of the building. Broken car windows and nearly everyone reporting that nothing was stolen. Except for 1 lady had her purse in her car. They didn’t steal her purse, just the gun she had in it. We are thinking they are looking for guns to use it greater crimes or sell to gangs. Makes sense that 4 of the vehicles yesterday were pickup trucks. They probably assume pickup truck drivers are more likely to carry. The other 3 vehicles were high end sports cars. Also probably assume people with a valuable car are more likely to carry.
I’ve heard they sometimes take garage door openers and car registrations (for the address). Then they rob the house. They did this some years ago at the community playhouse in Omaha, knowing the people would be in the show for a couple hours.

Reactions: BoomerClone

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I’ve heard they sometimes take garage door openers and car registrations (for the address). Then they rob the house. They did this some years ago at the community playhouse in Omaha, knowing the people would be in the show for a couple hours.
People probably wouldn’t immediately realize those were missing too. Hit them at work before noon and you have a few hours to hit them at home.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Why didn't you just pull out your 45 and tell him to get his hands up????

More seriously, I would have called the police and watched them. If you wanted to prevent further damage more than catch them, I would have just yelled at him. Depending on where you live, police response may be very quick, or never. You had little chance of catching them on your own unless you were armed and trained.

Last edited: